IGNORED

Article: The exaSound PlayPoint Stereo/Multichannel Streamer Review

ted_b

craighartley ain't too much of a difference between dsd and pcm if you got dsd files and native equip to play em on yippie,but what the difference between a $5 and a $10 1/4 pound burger,I seen it all in my 52 years ,they selling the audiophile equipment that cost more then the equipment it was recorded on

Hi dmac6419 - You clearly have an axe to grind and that's OK. However, let me tell you that you're venting to nobody but yourself. 99% of the readers of Computer Audiophile have considered your arguments many times over the years. Yet, they see value in the components discussed on this site and elect to purchase from manufacturers such as exaSound for many reasons. Just because you can't see the value in these components simply means you can't see value in these components. I won't go into all the reasons for costs that are higher than your mass market products, but Google can be a great resource to teach you about high end small number manufacturing and the value consumers see in small leading edge companies who cater to their needs.

If you'd like to discuss the issue further I recommend first searching the forum here for the endless discussions or starting your own thread about the topic.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

craighartley ain't too much of a difference between dsd and pcm if you got dsd files and native equip to play em on yippie,but what the difference between a $5 and a $10 1/4 pound burger,I seen it all in my 52 years ,they selling the audiophile equipment that cost more then the equipment it was recorded on

Well it's the kind of difference I care about. A Micca box would be a total waste of money for me. The PlayPoint seems to do all the specific things I want in a way that's not otherwise available at this price point. And for that it's good value for me.

Well it's the kind of difference I care about. A Micca box would be a total waste of money for me. The PlayPoint seems to do all the specific things I want in a way that's not otherwise available at this price point. And for that it's good value for me.
audiophoolery.look it up
audiophoolery.look it up

Hi dmac6419 - Your looking more and more like a troll or just someone incapable of having an intellectual conversation about a topic of concern to you. Stop the insults and change your tone. You are free to share your opinions, but you must do it in a respectable manner. If your version of respectable is what you've already posted, then we have a problem. If not, then we are all good.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I bought a 2k streamer ( a Linn DS) couple years back now. I was a bit disappointed (not in the sound) but in the ongoing support of all formats and software control. The likes of a lack of dsd and buggy control points etc. I'd pay 2k again for a streamer which gave me *all* the options. And had a dedicated software control point that was upgraded and maintained and the device had regular firmware upgrades. This product seems it's on the right path here, so congrats to exasound for grabbing the niche... Problem is small companies struggle on these fronts IMHO. I'm not blaming them, but just my 2c. So this time I am going to sit back and wait see a bit how this product is developed and supported and whether or not such things like roon takes off and services like tidal and Spotify are directly embedded...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I'm always reminded of the Shakespeare quote that paraphrased is "he doth protest too loudly".

Personally, I find the PP to be a great value for me as a high resolution (PCM and DSD) multichannel playback solution. The care and feeding of general use computer solutions (for easy multichannel playback) would cost me dearly, both in money and effort. That is where value is defined.

^ That's spot on Ted. BTW I don't think you get *all* the options with a raspberry pi. You might with a Mac mini running something like A+ but then you pay for what I term " ones own maintenance time" This mounts up. Big time and starts to interfere with the actual joy of music listening. Fiddling around tweeking software, rebooting, backup etc. etc. if you like this sort of fiddle and hobby factor then fine. However The market is crying out for a jack of all trades streamer that is clean, works 100% all the time, handles all formats and gives the user a multitude of input streaming options. This looks like a great starting point to me but the obvious thing lacking is multi dac connection support. Then again the e28 is the only multi channel dac that I know of ....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Hi dmac6419 - Your looking more and more like a troll or just someone incapable of having an intellectual conversation about a topic of concern to you. Stop the insults and change your tone. You are free to share your opinions, but you must do it in a respectable manner. If your version of respectable is what you've already posted, then we have a problem. If not, then we are all good.
just need someone to answer why the uptick and insane prices on audio gear,like i said i read,write and play music and i can get a brand new top of the line orange head for that price,but that was my original question

^ with regards to streamers... It's probably the time it takes to embed all the software and ongoing support : that supports all formats ... Into a small form factor device. The device drivers etc. married up with the likely small production run...

Read my posts. :)

The other problem with what looks likes a high price for such a streamer is the obvious consumer shift away from customers owning and up keeping their own music libraries to ditching this entirely and using music streaming services. It's hard to get your head around 2K, when the services cost $9.95 a month. There is a niche for dsd, multichannel hi res etc, but my guess is these sort of niche customers also want to flip between these formats (that right now cannot be streamed from a service) to the delight and the simplicity and fun of using something like Spotify connect, Tidal and Pandora. I'm looking for a solution that gives me all options. Both now: but more importantly into the future. This PP sure looks close .... Not quite there yet... But certainly very close. :)

The other problem with what looks likes a high price for such a streamer is the obvious consumer shift away from customers owning and up keeping their own music libraries to ditching this entirely and using music streaming services. It's hard to get your head around 2K, when the services cost $9.95 a month. There is a niche for dsd, multichannel hi res etc, but my guess is these guys also want to flip between these formats (that right now cannot be streamed from a service) to the delight and the simplicity of using something like Spotify connect, Tidal and Pandora. I'm looking for a solution that gives me all options. Both now: but more importantly into the future. This PP sure looks close .... Not quite there yet... But certainly very close. :)

I'll be getting a PlayPoint in for review. I can't wait until Roon integration is completed and I can stream from my local library and Tidal directly to the PP.

just need someone to answer why the uptick and insane prices on audio gear,like i said i read,write and play music and i can get a brand new top of the line orange head for that price,but that was my original question

To many people an Orange head is way over priced and they could simply purchase $250 Randall head to do the same thing. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

That's great Chris. Look forward to the review ! Yes Roon looks awesome. If it handled multichannel and they had of nailed the Spotify deal it would have been icing on the cake !!! We all know why the latter couldn't be achieved (alas). I guess you can't have everything. That's why I've suggested George look to slotting in the Spotify Connect API and maybe a few more like Pandora directly. Now *that* sure would give this little box maximum appeal IMHO. Would hit the ball right out of the park! :)

Reminds me of the Queen track... "I want it all.... I WANT IT ALL... and I want it now"... Lol... :)

That's great Chris. Look forward to the review ! Yes Roon looks awesome. If it handled multichannel and they had of nailed the Spotify deal it would have been icing on the cake !!! We all know why the latter couldn't be achieved (alas). I guess you can't have everything. That's why I've suggested George look to slotting in the Spotify Connect API and maybe a few more like Pandora directly. Now *that* sure would give this little box maximum appeal IMHO. Would hit the ball right out of the park! :)

The problem with items like Pandora is that they won't even talk to you as a manufacturer unless you deliver huge sales volume and can pay serious cash.

I can't believe anyone would want to pay $2K for a box to stream Pandora or Spotify or any other lossy service. Most people who will pay for this and the $10K of additional equipment to make a really solid two channel system care deeply about sound quality. The real market for a box like this is the locally stored library and lossless streaming services. As has been noted above, the locally stored library is going to become a much smaller segment and streaming will ascend. Right now the lossless streaming business is a mess but it won't stay that way for long. The manufacturers of these types of equipment ignore this at great peril. It is readily apparent that most don't have a clue or a plan for how to integrate lossless streaming into their products in a way that is easier for the user and better sounding than what can be done with a computer of any kind.

^ Are you not assuming Spotify and Pandora will remain "lossy"?

And even if they do... why not be able to swap between them all..? Lossless library and Tidal. And lossy other services?

Because devices like these result in better sound quality. And don't tell us they don't, because we've all been there and tried that (solutions like yours).

Other reasons:

• convenience and ease of use, no tweaking or fiddling - works like an appliance.
  • manufacturer support and upgrades
  • superiro looks - cosmetics

The above items may be of no value to you, but they are to other people. Try to understand that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I can't believe anyone would want to pay $2K for a box to stream Pandora or Spotify or any other lossy service. Most people who will pay for this and the $10K of additional equipment to make a really solid two channel system care deeply about sound quality.

And a really solid Multichannel System.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Looks good, too bad I don't own an exaSound DAC... maybe one day!

Heard the exaSound e22 recently and it was divine, despite the arguments for and against the price.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

• 2 weeks later...