IGNORED

Article: The exaSound PlayPoint Stereo/Multichannel Streamer Review

ted_b

Perhaps, if the Aries did multichannel. ;-)

Yes, and did NAA for HQPlayer, and was also perfectly happy playing in the MPD world (and again, in stereo or multichannel for each/any).

Not seem a firewire, more important than HDI

Best regards

? By HDI I assume you mean HDMI. And why is firewire important? Currently this is an exaSound-specific appliance; why would they include a connection that none of their DACS use, and is not considered an agnostic interface like USB (where exaSound could, at least, update it to UAC2 compliance for connectivity to some non-exaSound equipment)? I can't see firewire ever being on their radar.

I was under the impression that HQP upsampling was not handled by the PP, but rather it was just acting as an NAA device to HQP performing the upsampling on another, move capable machine somewhere else on your network.

Correct, it's the job of the HQP client machine (which is why it should be a powerful cpu). Sorry if my wording in the review was confusing. The PP is acting as the back-end FIFO buffer (isolation and low cpu requirements).

Thanks George. I've found that one of the best ways to batch extract dsf from SACD iso files is using JRiver. Even so, the process is long and tedious since the program just outputs a string of dsf files. The proper artist and album folders need to be reconstructed manually. In addition, the dsf files need re-tagging as well. Still, it's something that I will eventually get around to doing once I finish extracting all my DVD-A iso files.

Assuming I don't mind using DSD over DoP and I don't have any DSD files sampled > DSD 64, will the PP do gapless with JRiver/JRemote?

You are making way more work for yourself to extract DSF that way (and depending on the workflow you use in JRIver you are also possibly doing a PCM conversion, since JRIver does PCM from one DSD format to another).. When you get around to that project lemme know. What, pray tell, are you using for your DVD-Audio project?

Yes, sorry that I sort of hijacked my own review thread. Let's talk detailed DVD-A and SACD ripping and extracting elsewhere. EC is right; v38 fixes the DSF click issue (caused by bad blocks being written). And yes, I've used and documented the use of Bogi's tools (along with Jussi's DFF to DSF conversion app he uses in that workflow). It's a nice alternative to simply doing ISO2DSD in batch mode (both Windows and MAc version use the newest v38), especially if you want simple Windows Explorer right-click autocontext. For DVD A, DVD-Audio via Foobar is one solution, as long as you have the working DVDA plugin (for MLP decoding, etc) but there are wayyyy easier ways to rip DVD-A and then tag, like a simple DVD Audio Extractor, then MP3Tag workflow.

Back to the PlayPoint. I am now VERY impressed with the SBooster power supply when used with the Chord 2Qute and will report the PP (and e12) eval with it starting tmrw. I promised to update the thread/review.

Sorry Ted. I can't agree on the ripping issue. Once your DVD-A iso files are properly tagged in Foobar using it's built-in tagging tools, it's a lot easier to rip DVD-A iso files compared to using DVD Audio Extractor. I've tried both. Of course, Foobar is unbelievably configurable and the ease of use will really depend on how your metadata is displayed and how the GUI is configured. A huge bonus is that once the DVD-A iso files are properly tagged in Foobar the converted tracks are also properly tagged and require almost no further work.

? I was simply responding to your

The process for DVD-A is labour intensive

Sounds like it isn't. Great!

I'm always reminded of the Shakespeare quote that paraphrased is "he doth protest too loudly".

Personally, I find the PP to be a great value for me as a high resolution (PCM and DSD) multichannel playback solution. The care and feeding of general use computer solutions (for easy multichannel playback) would cost me dearly, both in money and effort. That is where value is defined.

• 3 months later...

UPDATE:

1) As Chris posted earlier today, exaSound and Roon have certified that the the exaSound Playpoint is now RoonReady. I tested it in firmware 7 and sure enough the Playpoint shows up as a Roon zone. :) I will elaborate more soon (with an update to the body of the review)

2) As you know I have reported the the OpenHome virtual renderer trick (i.e install Bubbleserver and create an OH Playpoint on one's network) works, allowing one to use OpenHome control points like Kazoo with the Playpoint when in DLNA mode. Well, going further, George reports to me that he has a working version of the Playpoint in native OpenHome mode (i.e no BubbleServer needed) with Kazoo working perfectly. We should see this in a couple of weeks.

3) The folks at Sbooster were kind enough to loan me their $350 BOTW 12v-13.2V linear power supply (with Sbooster Ultra add-on) for use with the Playpoint (in fact, they loaned me two, so I tried them in tandem, at both Playpoint and dac). I will report in same review update. Stay tuned. I'll publish in next few days.