IGNORED

Acoustic Revive USB Terminator - does it attack the Jitterbug ?

Just read this news ...

Neues klangverbesserndes Zubehör von Acoustic Revive  - i-fidelity.net

(Google Translate):

is the USB connector Acoustic Revive USB Terminator RUT-1, which is intended to protect unused USB ports effectively against disturbances while reducing resonances. According Acoustic Revive This leads to a significantly improved music playback. The USB Terminator RUT-1 costs 299 euros.

The same is of open, unused RCA (Cinch) - and XLR connectors have long been known, even here Acoustic Revive leads ingenious product, which should lead to a significant increase in sound.

Also in the program is the USB Isolator RUI 1 for 2 A connector slots for the in-house USB cable 1,0SPS a standard USB cable and the RUI 1SP. It's loud Acoustic Revive the first USB cable with two separate O ports, which means that the power supply and the signal line of the USB cable must be separate in order to avoid interference. The insulator is more effective than products from the medical technology, according to Acoustic Revive: He should not only prevent disruptions that come over the electrical wiring and data lines in the PC, but also faults which produces PC itself. The RUI-1 will cost 899 euros, the RUI-1SP 1,099 euros.

The matching USB cable from Acoustic Revive is available for 450 euros / meters (USB 1,0PLS), the USB 1,0SPS with separate power line and signal line is available for 680 Euro / m, special lengths are possible.

At that price EU$ 299 which I think is ridiculous, I don't think so. Many more Jitterbugs will be sold than this.

Currently it's listed at US$159.44 on eBay.

One more function Acoustic Revive claimed is the reduction of resonance due to natural crystal installed inside. Another difference is RUT-1 cannot be connected to a USB cable.

Will it be twice better than a Jitterbug? Hard to tell.

Acoustic Revive products are all expensive. I saw some AR XLR plugs for 150.00 each somewhere. Did not look any better made than 3.00 USD Neutrik.

I cannot judge the real quality, this USB devise may be worth 299 euros in sonic upgrade. Same with the XLR plugs, they may be worth 600.00 for a pair of balanced cables. Not tempted to find out.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

The jitterbug is an in line terminator, that adds some filtering to the power lines and to the data lines (Cm2 above is a USB common mode choke). The main problem with the jitterbug is layout, any noise will just re-couple due to the layout not being optimised for the job in hand.

The Acoustic revive is just plain BS, a product that is being sold to cater for the new cash flow that everyone has found with add-on USB devices. As to its better than medical equipment that's just more marketing BS.

I do PCB layout for a lot of high end designs mainly military, medical, aerospace and automotive, where in some instances we have to achieve immunities up to 18GHz so I understand these areas, know what a layout should look like and understand EMC/signal integrity and the mechanisms involved and neither of these products rock my boat.... The jitterbug would benefit from true isolated layout if it was to achieve what it is suppose to.

Looking at both the USB specification and how USB ports and the power they supply is implemented on motherboards and other devices with USB will give an insight into what is going on. Each USB port will have a direct link to one output on a Phy device, for power they often have a common ground, but the 5V lines will usually be supplied via a hot swap device for each port, mainly to protect the main board from excessive current flow and isolate ports from each other so that if one goes down the others don't.

Now comparing medical with audio does not work, the requirements for medical is fail safe usage, USB, LAN etc. protection is there mainly for overvoltage and to isolate the system from a piece of equipment going bang and taking down say the whole life support system, the same for aerospace and other life mission critical implementations... And that is the big difference, often the stuff I work on failure will cause death, it focuses the mind during design and there is also a big test and approval scheme both for pre-design (component selection) and post design to ensure failure is not an option. So I do find stuff like the marketing blurb for stuff like this Acoustic Revive rather distasteful sometimes.

Thank you for all these thoughts, marce.

I have no engineering background, but I do trust my ears.

My evaluation often is that the money is better spend on room acoustic treatment or better speakers, rather than small tweaks and goodies.

However it is interesting to try out these gadgets and listen to what they do on your system with your well known favourite tracks.

For sure the Jitterbug "changes" the sound. If its better or worse or just different is up to everyone's personal judgement. It's not pricey, so maybe worth a trial IMO.

That said, its much different for the AR - I guess, as I never experienced it due to their weak distribution here in Germany, but at that price it should perform "better" or again substentionally "different" from the AQ device.

Having this debate or real user feedback has been my intention to start this thread.

To illustrate, an isolated USB layout using an ADuM device, notice the defined moats where the signals all cross using single ended or common mode ferrites. In this case galvanic isolation for protection was the main aim, the rest was just to minimise the coupling of high frequency noise from one piece of equipment to another...

USB_Isolator_V1.png

But what is it terminating... Not a lot I'm afraid really or as an in line filter there has not been enough care with the layout to minimise coupling mechanisms for the noise... If this was presented to me as a layout I would reject it.

I would also expect more data for a filter...

To illustrate, an isolated USB layout using an ADuM device, notice the defined moats where the signals all cross using single ended or common mode ferrites. In this case galvanic isolation for protection was the main aim, the rest was just to minimise the coupling of high frequency noise from one piece of equipment to another...

First of all, I believe Jitterbug doesn't have an ADuM chip as the isolation chip only supports full speed USB 2.0. Jitterbug is not capable of galvanic isolation.

A friend told me Jitterbug basically used capacitors (+/-) and chokes (+) to filter the power line and a 90 ohm (?) common mode choke on the data line. I may not be precise in the wording when quoting what he said though as I'm not a technical guy.

the USB connector Acoustic Revive USB Terminator RUT-1, which is intended to protect unused USB ports effectively against disturbances while reducing resonances. The USB Terminator RUT-1 costs 299

Presumably it stops the snake oil from leaking out?

Presumably it stops the snake oil from leaking out?

Even Jitterbug is overpriced if we only look at the parts costs. However, AudioQuest does a lot of advertising and they have an extensive dealer network and the associated costs (plus other overhead) are transferred to the consumers.

First of all, I believe Jitterbug doesn't have an ADuM chip as the isolation chip only supports full speed USB 2.0. Jitterbug is not capable of galvanic isolation.

A friend told me Jitterbug basically used capacitors (+/-) and chokes (+) to filter the power line and a 90 ohm (?) common mode choke on the data line. I may not be precise in the wording when quoting what he said though as I'm not a technical guy.

I am aware of that, the picture was to illustrate the isolation barrier you require if you are going to filter anything... because the noise will couple...

I am only saying it as I see, I do sensitive PCB layout where EMC and signal integrity are paramount quite often on very high end life/mission critical designs.

The main coupling mechanism for HF noise is capacitive, you would be surprised at the lengths we go to on some designs to avoid any capacitive coupling, I will dig out an analogue/digital design guide from Ti later that illustrates the point.

Intona claims it's the world's first in-the-box solution to galvanically isolate the USB 2.0 bus in high speed mode. This is probably true as there is no high speed USB isolation chip available right now. Unfortunately there is not much info about the details of the design; probably their own FPGA application? The standard version costs US$229. Although it's not specifically designed for audio use, I guess it shall be superior to Jitterbug.

Intona ? Products

usb_hispeed_isolator_1.jpg

I am aware of that, the picture was to illustrate the isolation barrier you require if you are going to filter anything... because the noise will couple...

I am only saying it as I see, I do sensitive PCB layout where EMC and signal integrity are paramount quite often on very high end life/mission critical designs.

The main coupling mechanism for HF noise is capacitive, you would be surprised at the lengths we go to on some designs to avoid any capacitive coupling, I will dig out an analogue/digital design guide from Ti later that illustrates the point.

marce, great to see you here at CA (I know you from posts at diyaudio). Your expertise in high speed signaling is very welcome.

The Jitterbug is just a parallel filter circuit, nothing more, and does not claim to offer any isolation, as you note using ADuM type isolation chip would do.

I guess what you are saying is that the parallel filter circuit of the jitterbug would likely not have much actual effect at reducing HF noise?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 256-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical--Bricasti M3 DAC--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 7 months later...

The Acoustic Revive RUT-1 arrived today from CD-Japan. It is priced at USD151.17. The connection point is the spare USB port on the Icron REX section of the USB extender since it makes sense to install on the same hub as the USB signal.

Has tamed the response of the H800S, smoothed out the rough edges and those cymbals disappear right into the black, very nice indeed.

Works as claimed, 'dramatic' reduction of noise, highly recommended. 'dramatic' = very noticeable difference

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA