IGNORED

Going from a Mac mini 2010 model

Hi gang

I've Ben using a Mac mini with Audirvana plus for a few years now, it's served me proud to say the least but feel that a change would benefit the system. I've been looking at streamer such as Aurender N100 or the new Teac model which has the inbuilt Dac think its the UD-503

In your opinion would a new streamer be a worth while expense / upgrade or would I be better off changing my bel canto 2.5 Dac to something like the exasound which plays native dsd and keeping the Mac mini, the beauty of the new Teac is that has an I built Dac and streams as well, but at the price point I'm not sure I'd be gaining much

Any help and suggestions are much appreciated, I've got all my music stored on a WD my cloud NAS drive with around 1tb of DSD files

Lee

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

I suspect you would be disappointed if you switched from the Bel Canto to the Teac DAC. Since you have an analogue system, I offer you an analogy. From a system functionality perspective, your Mac today is performing the same function as your Nottingham turntable and arm... it's supporting clean extraction of the recorded source without introducing time domain imperfections. It's a nice machine but extending the analogy, it basically the digital equivalent of a Rega turntable, an entry level audiophile transport. So you have a very clear mismatch in the digital domain to the quality of your "cartridge", the Bel Canto DAC. I'd suggest you take your digital transport solution up a notch, your choice of whether that's an Aurender, Auralies Aries w/ NAS or Lumin.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I suspect you would be disappointed if you switched from the Bel Canto to the Teac DAC. Since you have an analogue system, I offer you an analogy. From a system functionality perspective, your Mac today is performing the same function as your Nottingham turntable and arm... it's supporting clean extraction of the recorded source without introducing time domain imperfections. It's a nice machine but extending the analogy, it basically the digital equivalent of a Rega turntable, an entry level audiophile transport. So you have a very clear mismatch in the digital domain to the quality of your "cartridge", the Bel Canto DAC. I'd suggest you take your digital transport solution up a notch, your choice of whether that's an Aurender, Auralies Aries w/ NAS or Lumin.

Hi Dave

Many thanks for taking time out to send a response, I will look into a streamer and see if I can get a home demo of a Aurender N100 or something similar

Many thanks

Lee

Sources are: Mac Mini 2010 / Nottingham Analogue Hyperspace c/w Jelco 750 D and Denon DL 103 MC cartridge. Phono Stage: EAR 834P. Power Amp: Audio Note Empress Silver into a Hattor passive pre. DAC: Lampizator Atlantic and Humming Board NAA Speakers: Horns.pl Mummys. Cables: Duelund DC 16 GA  - Audionote AN-SPX 27 Strand RCA and Albedo Silver RCA and Western Electric WE 16 GA. All digital music played through a Mac Mini using Roon and HQP. Power Supply: Gigawat PC2-EVO

Well tomorrow I'm going to get a listen to the Melco N1A which is relatively new to the market but my local dealer is really raving about the device, comes with an internal 4TB HD and will allow me to hook my Dac directly to the USB output, let's see what tomorrow brings

Well tomorrow I'm going to get a listen to the Melco N1A which is relatively new to the market but my local dealer is really raving about the device, comes with an internal 4TB HD and will allow me to hook my Dac directly to the USB output, let's see what tomorrow brings

I am really interested in what you think about what you hear. Please do post and let us know.

Always, the "streamers" initially sound better to me, but the sound grows less and less likable the longer I listen to them. Then back to the Mac and it all sounds "right" again. I suspect that is just me. ;)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I went from a 2011 Mac Mini to an Aurender X100 and found it to be a worthwhile experience. If you want to try getting the best out of the Mini, put an SSD in it and max the RAM to 16gb, put your music on an external drive, and use one of the various playback software programs.

No electron left behind.

My 2 bits.

I went from a 2009 MacMini w/ssd, all the hig-end software - (albeit no linear ps) - to an Aurender N100H. The difference for me was in the range of 30-40 percent better. Easily I would do it again - no regrets. I was interested in simplifying the technical aspects of CA. Mission accomplished. Now I'm enjoying the music instead of experimenting.

ditto...went from a 2010 Mac Mini with internal SSD and outboard firewire buss-powered drive (fancy power chord and isolation devices, etc...the usual nutbar stuff) to an Auralic Aries...beyond the ease and superior functionality, the sound quality was superior in all respects. Would love to have the opportunity to compare to an Aurender but no dealers in our neck of the woods.

Just a little update

I managed to borrow the Melco for a few days and got it set up last night at home. I used the Linn Kinsky app for the ipad to access the files on the Melco. The Melco needs to have a Ethernet cable plugged in so that the ipad can talk to the Melco, its not a wireless system.

In terms of sound, I would definitely say that its way ahead of the mac mini running audirvana, its quite astounding how different the instruments sound, its almost like the music is on steroids, I actually cant believe its the same tracks that Ive been listening too for the past 6 years or so.

Playing some Ralph Towner last night and the guitar is so vibrant. The voices from singers shows no harshness at all, it really is quite amazing.

I played favourite of mine, its a track called Tony from John Mclaughlins live album in Paris, this particular track is fantastic as there is very entertaining drum solo around 3 minutes into the track, there is also some wonderful synthesized bass which really does put some demands onto the system, I can honestly say that the drums sounded as good as I've ever heard them through any system Ive had, unbelievable.

I also played an old hifi show test track by Chris Jones called Long after your gone from the Moonstruck album, this is track is notorious for having a real low bass note at the beginning along with beautifully toned acoustic guitar, on some systems the voices can sound a tad sibilant. Again through the Melco the degree of bass control was incredible, it really gripped the bass and the voices just projected so well into the room with no signs of sibilance or harshness. Also the acoustic guitar sustained like Ive never experienced before.

Ive got the demo with me for a few days so will see how I get on in this period

Lee

Please do not take this the wrong way, but I have never looked back from my 2009 Mini. It was purchased under the guise that the separate power supply and such was an advantage. My stock 2012 Mini blew it away, so did a newer i5 workstation and my SOtM sMS100 renderer. My point being that I do not disagree with 30-40% increase, but much of that might simply be the 2009 Mini. IIRC, the 2010 was the start of a newer MB style.

My 2 bits.

I went from a 2009 MacMini w/ssd, all the hig-end software - (albeit no linear ps) - to an Aurender N100H. The difference for me was in the range of 30-40 percent better. Easily I would do it again - no regrets. I was interested in simplifying the technical aspects of CA. Mission accomplished. Now I'm enjoying the music instead of experimenting.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Well the Melco has now gone back to the dealer, I enjoyed my time with the device and although it did sound better than my Mac Mini I did have a few issues with some of the files that I transferred over just suddenly stopped playing.

I contacted the supplier and all he could put it down to was that the files were corrupt!

In the end this put me off as they play fine from my NAS, if I took into account that I have over 1000 albums on my NAS and it was hit and miss if they played or not it wouldn't be a viable option for me to buy one, so in the end I have returned the item.

Ive now decided that if I change my Mac 2010 model (old type design) that I might as well change it for a newer version and stick with Audirvana as I know what I'm doing with this software and always seems to plays my files. I've been reading on here that there is a definite improvement in the sound quality with the newer versions.

Lee

• 1 month later...

I have a 2010 Mac mini and been playing digital files since it was new on the market. Just recently bought the Melco NA1. My control point is the new Arcam app. Had problems with other apps, but not the Arcam. Late December Melco upgraded their firmware. They added gapless playback. I have a feeling you would no longer have issues with playback. May consider going back to the dealer and picking up the Melco again.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I am demoing the Melco NA1 and have a slight niggle with the Arcam app after each song the player stops and I need to select the next song. I must be doing something wrong but can't figure out what?

Any ideas

If you have android device, I would suggest to use Bubbleupnp as the control app. I have Melco N1A and it's working flawlessly with Bubbleupnp.

Honestly had no idea what the purpose of mode 1 was. I am currently set to mode 0 and deriving my music from my computer from a network file. Is this the best means to listen to music via the Melco?

IMO, there is no effect on sound quality whether you choose mode 0 or 1. It's just a matter of preference where do you want the playlist to be.

thanks for the help folks, I really like the NA1, when swapping between my Mac Mini and the NA1 it is not a night a day difference from a frequency response standpoint. The difference I detect (and grin ear to ear listening to) is the micro detail increase that gives increased stage depth, more stable images, decrease in hash/haze on the top end, more liquid mids and greater bass definition but not greater heft.

I seem to be able to stream Tidal from an old samsung note 3 using bubble upnp but can't find that same functionality in an apple app for the iPad. I am currently trying the arcade, linn and plug player and all provide basic functionality.

I own the Schiit Yggdrasil and USB mode 1 does not work on this doc the song comes up on the iPad app but does not start to play even after hitting play on the app.

Overall very pleased even though they do not have a dedicated app. Still wondering if the Aurender N100 would be better sonically before I pull the trigger. Anyone here compare the two units? I

thanks for the help folks, I really like the NA1, when swapping between my Mac Mini and the NA1 it is not a night a day difference from a frequency response standpoint. The difference I detect (and grin ear to ear listening to) is the micro detail increase that gives increased stage depth, more stable images, decrease in hash/haze on the top end, more liquid mids and greater bass definition but not greater heft.

I seem to be able to stream Tidal from an old samsung note 3 using bubble upnp but can't find that same functionality in an apple app for the iPad. I am currently trying the arcade, linn and plug player and all provide basic functionality.

I own the Schiit Yggdrasil and USB mode 1 does not work on this doc the song comes up on the iPad app but does not start to play even after hitting play on the app.

Overall very pleased even though they do not have a dedicated app. Still wondering if the Aurender N100 would be better sonically before I pull the trigger. Anyone here compare the two units? I

Google "devialetchat melco", those guys over that forum have plenty of discussion regarding melco vs aurender. Personally, I bought Melco because it's cheaper and has plenty of positive reviews and good measurement as well.

Google "devialetchat melco", those guys over that forum have plenty of discussion regarding melco vs aurender. Personally, I bought Melco because it's cheaper and has plenty of positive reviews and good measurement as well.

I got the Dela/Melco because it is half the price, available here in Japan and sounds great. Although to be honest, I had no idea how it sounded before I bought it. I wish it was a bit more cosmetically pleasing, named the artist when playing and had its own app, but I can get over it.