IGNORED

Contracting for a custom Linux driver

joelha

Finally I got the PUC2 lite. I updated to the 2.3.4beta firmware. Daphile recognizes it and can also plays at 192khz!!!

Very nice. It sounds great even though I have to test it more. I am very happy I can use the quality AES connection with my DAC and get full advantage up to 192khz. Nice job YellowTec. :D

Nice to read : ), I transmit your 1st post to the Yellowtec team.
For your question, I suppose there is an hardware limitation, I suppose also there is no hidden capacity for this kind of product (audio professional). Personally, I really doubt of the recent "race" to higher and higher sample frequency, it seems an "easy" upgrade for users, but to me, there is more important things to upgrade before, maybe less easy and more costly :D, but with certainly more results, I think to a room optimization, a better amp and better speaker etc.

I just got answer from Yellowtec and it cannot go over 192kHz.

I also checked by DAC specification and AES (and spdif) seem to be limited to 192kHz so I don't think it's related to PUC2 but more to the connection itself. I also agree that 192kHz is really good and I may not need anything else.

Since my DAC does support DxD (352kHz) it is tempting to test and use it but I am more than happy with PUC2 as it is.

I agree there is much more significant parts that affect sound quality like speakers, amp, dac, etc. Since I already settled with my amp/speakers/DAC, all I can try now is improving the rest which are cable, connections, power, etc.

• 2 months later...

Please, don't hesitate to thanks or report bug to servicecenter@yellowtec.com  , it seems that nobody told them news :/ , but it certainly mean that nobody has troubles :D (except me). I resolve my 48khz limitation but now I've trouble to play 192khz (96 is ok), Daphile seem to play well (and recognized an hardware limitation at 192khz ) but no sound from the PUC2, someone else has trouble with 192khz?

To clarify and resumed for new readers: yes, the PUC2 and the PUC2 lite are now linux compatible. I'm just unlucky :P

3 hours ago, saroumanjs said:

Please, don't hesitate to thanks or report bug to servicecenter@yellowtec.com  , it seems that nobody told them news :/ , but it certainly mean that nobody has troubles :D (except me). I resolve my 48khz limitation but now I've trouble to play 192khz (96 is ok), Daphile seem to play well (and recognized an hardware limitation at 192khz ) but no sound from the PUC2, someone else has trouble with 192khz?

To clarify and resumed for new readers: yes, the PUC2 and the PUC2 lite are now linux compatible. I'm just unlucky :P

If you're not getting 192KHz from your PUC2, the likely culprit is the cable you're using. In my case, I'm going from the PUC2 AES output into SPDIF 75ohm input using an impedance transformer. I've noticed that if I run a cable >~4ft, I don't get 192Khz playback, likely because of the associated voltage drop with the longer cable. However, it works fine with a shorter cable run. 

I use a  short cable (2 ft) , that I made myself with an AES/EBU cable DH Labs Silver Sonic D-110 (for 110 ohm) and Neutrik XLR connectors, and my DAC is 192khz capable. I don't think it come from that (I will try to  measure pin voltage to confirm) but your experience is very interesting

• 3 years later...

Dear all,

I have a YellowTec PUC2 Lite.

From reading this thread, I have downloaded and installed the lastest driver and lastest fimrware to PUC2 Lite.

The link from website as below

https://www.yellowtec.com/fileadmin/user_upload/PUC/downloads/PUC2_Firmware_1.81_2.35_3.64.zip

I used a Dell Vostro 5471 laptop with windows 10. 
Installed latest driver YELLOWTEC_PUC2_WIN_2.9.96.2 
Installed firmware PUC2_FW_1.81_2.35.bin
After that installed firmware PUC2_FW_1.81_2.36__LINUX.bin
Verify the firmware after install is done with an OK result.

But when put the device on the computer running Linux (Daphile Linux, Euphony OS Linux, Roon Rock, three distributions for audio playing), the Operating System shows that this device supports only 48kHz bitrate, and all bitrates have to convert to 48kHz to play. 

I have made the firmware upgrading procedure again a few times to make sure no mistakes are made, but the result was still the same.

I have tried to install only firmware PUC2_FW_1.81_2.35.bin (for Windows OS only) but the result was still the same with Linux OS.

I have contacted by email to YellowTEC support but I did not receive any responsiveness yet.
Above posts give me that  some guides get device work full range of bitrate with firmware 2.3.4 beta. I have tried to find this version of firmware on the internet but can not find them.
If anyone have been keeping this firmware version (2.3.4 beta or 2.3.4), please give me a copy.