IGNORED

Contracting for a custom Linux driver

joelha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay but, we there is no big news :(.

Yellowtech told me, mid of february, that it's not possible to just apply a new firmware to solve the problem, the USB descriptor is in the boot loader (not the firmware).

But, all is not lost because on MAC, the USB audio class 2 works well. The next step is to found why Linux (with ALSA) choose USB audio class 1 instead of 2. The guy from Yellowtech end his last mail that he need some time to prepare everything for the ALSA devel discussion, providing hints how configurations has to be chosen by linux. It was 17th february, I contact him again just for news the 23 March but I've no response yet, I hope we will enjoy 24bit a day :/

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

I also have a Yellowtec Puc2 Lite and I'm using it with AudioPhile Linux. I get usb audio class 2 - isochronous asynchronous (I've test it using the lacocina script, thx for that btw..) and 48000Hz. Any idea on how to get at least 96khz ??

Cheers,

Dorian

PS: u might wanna try AP Linux, since in sounds Very good to my ears and it also has mpd for remote control.

Hi,

I'm waiting some fresh news from Yellowtech, I finally got a response weeks ago, it was question of a firmware, I can't assume this, as the firm don't, because nobody still know if it will work or not. Be patient :D and enjoy 48khz ;). I will post any news. Great for this player, do you compare to Daphile? (the version of Daphile is still changing every 2 weeks, with some benefits)

cheers,

JS

• 3 weeks later...

No I haven't tried Daphile, since I'm not skilled in Linux and I find AudioPhile Linux easier to install and to use and also I have 48khz in AP Linux:

<server1>[~]# bash <(wget -q -O - "http://lacocina.nl/alsa-capabilities") -s ~

0) USB Audio Class Digital alsa audio output interface `hw:0,0'

- device name = YELLOWTEC PUC2

- interface name = USB Audio

- usb audio class = 2 - isochronous asynchronous

- character device = /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p

- rates per format = S24_3LE: 48000Hz

- monitor file = /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

- stream file = /proc/asound/card0/stream0

If you have time and a spare HDD you can try AP Linux for yourself (it is fairly easy to install) and tell us all if it sounds or not better than Daphile.

Cheers

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Good news! They are still working on it in Yellowtech : "we reached 192 kHz on Linux". :) :)

We will certainly soon have a solution from them, but they have two way to resolve the trouble: between ask changes in the Kernel and/or firmware changes. I hope we will have a solution before this summer! Technically : as it was already mentioned, this is a USB descriptor trouble, windows use USB Audio CLASS 1 Mode while Linux and MAC do 1 and 2. But linux selects Mode 1... for a stupid? reason. That is why this is a Kernel problem, but we can use also a "forced" firmware with only the descriptor 2 capable. But, that means also that windows users have to use the other firmware, so if you use the PUC on the both OS...

Good news! They are still working on it in Yellowtech : "we reached 192 kHz on Linux". :) :)

We will certainly soon have a solution from them, but they have two way to resolve the trouble: between ask changes in the Kernel and/or firmware changes. I hope we will have a solution before this summer! Technically : as it was already mentioned, this is a USB descriptor trouble, windows use USB Audio CLASS 1 Mode while Linux and MAC do 1 and 2. But linux selects Mode 1... for a stupid? reason. That is why this is a Kernel problem, but we can use also a "forced" firmware with only the descriptor 2 capable. But, that means also that windows users have to use the other firmware, so if you use the PUC on the both OS...

That's a good news! Please keep us updated as soon they release a new firmware/kernel!

Thanks a lot

Doesn't Win10 support class 2 now?

Doesn't Win10 support class 2 now?
It hasn't made it into non-insider builds yet. Likely coming in the Creators Update in April. I saw reports on Head-Fi that the Microsoft driver install replaces any existing 3rd party driver. This doesn't sound like fun.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

It hasn't made it into non-insider builds yet. Likely coming in the Creators Update in April. I saw reports on Head-Fi that the Microsoft driver install replaces any existing 3rd party driver. This doesn't sound like fun.

Windows is never fun.

• 1 month later...
On 08/03/2017 at 11:43 AM, saroumanjs said:

oh yesssss pleaseeeee.

• 1 month later...

He he, I was waiting a mail for the bêta test reclamation before I post, now I can post this good news:

"We finally compiled a new Firmware for PUC2 which is capable to work on Linux.
In the following Folder you can find a pdf explaining what to do and two Firmware Versions.
Version 2.34 is for Linux."

This is the link. You are allowed to distribute the Link if you want. But it is only for Beta Testing.
So only people which are aware that this is a beta test should use it.
There is no guarantee we will take over at this point.

There is one issue. You can update the device only from a Windows machine. So you need to install the driver on Windows and use the updater tool. Which are both available on our Website.

"If you experience Bugs or any questions feel free to write  an e-mail: servicecenter@yellowtec.com"

So, I test it  (easy), Daphile stay at max hardware capability: 48khz :( , even with the last beta version of Daphile. I will try Euphony trial to test another OS. I already contact them for that.

But anyway, it is a big step for us : ) , thank you Yellowtec!
9 minutes ago, saroumanjs said:

He he, I was waiting a mail for the bêta test reclamation before I post, now I can post this good news:

"We finally compiled a new Firmware for PUC2 which is capable to work on Linux.
In the following Folder you can find a pdf explaining what to do and two Firmware Versions.
Version 2.34 is for Linux."

This is the link. You are allowed to distribute the Link if you want. But it is only for Beta Testing.
So only people which are aware that this is a beta test should use it.
There is no guarantee we will take over at this point.

There is one issue. You can update the device only from a Windows machine. So you need to install the driver on Windows and use the updater tool. Which are both available on our Website.

"If you experience Bugs or any questions feel free to write  an e-mail: servicecenter@yellowtec.com"

So, I test it  (easy), Daphile stay at max hardware capability: 48khz :( , even with the last beta version of Daphile. I will try Euphony trial to test another OS. I already contact them for that.

But anyway, it is a big step for us : ) , thank you Yellowtec!

Woooot! You (and Yellowtec) rock!! 

I just tried the new beta firmware and confirm it works great with my Sonore Microrendu - I now get the full range of sample rates supported. Sounds awesome too, much better than resampling everything =)