IGNORED

W4S DAC-2 USB driver incompatible with El Capitan - Advice?

Hi, does anyone have recommendations for making the W4S DAC2 USB interface work with El Capitan? This happens to base W4S DAC-2 units, without upgraded components. It's been 6+ weeks waiting for W4S to release a compatible driver, still nothing. If I send the unit in, it can get upgraded and become "driverless", but I'm trying to avoid investing in DAC hardware upgrades just to fix a software problem.

Since upgrading to El Capitan, the MacBook completely shuts off and reboots as soon as the USB touches the MacBook (when the other end of the USB is connected to the DAC-2). This even happens when DAC-2 is powered off. No issues before El Capitan upgrade.

thanks

ryan

ryan

[MacBook with Audirvana+ -- WW Plat USB -- W4S DAC2 -- WW Silver IC -- C2300 NOS Telefunken blue tips -- WW Silver IC -- Mc252 -- 803S] + [dual Fathom F113 v2] + [WW Silver PC's]

Long term goals, one piece at a time

i think they are many issues with USB port and El Capitan that are reported...

just wait till next week or so for the release of 10.11.2 if it cure your connection...

they already released 10.11.2 beta 4 two days ago, so final is near

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

RunHomeSlow, thank you for this perspective. Sounds right...if there are general USB issues with El Capitan, the fix will likely come from Apple themselves before device manufacturers catch up with new drivers. Fingers crossed.

ryan

[MacBook with Audirvana+ -- WW Plat USB -- W4S DAC2 -- WW Silver IC -- C2300 NOS Telefunken blue tips -- WW Silver IC -- Mc252 -- 803S] + [dual Fathom F113 v2] + [WW Silver PC's]

Driver issues with the W4S DAC2 are a long standing problem. Each OS "upgrade" can cause a problem. W4S does not want to support the DAC2, they want you to upgrade to the SE model ($) and move on. I sold my DAC 2 because of this issue and I will never purchase another product from W4S. I do not trust them.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Driver issues with the W4S DAC2 are a long standing problem. Each OS "upgrade" can cause a problem. W4S does not want to support the DAC2, they want you to upgrade to the SE model ($) and move on. I sold my DAC 2 because of this issue and I will never purchase another product from W4S. I do not trust them.

I too sold mine after waiting four years for the " imminent " upgrade availabilty. Bought a NAD M51 and never looked back.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nombedes, no luck with El Capitan yet...and frustration building, given how long this issue has been known and remains unresolved. I woke up today excited that both Apple and Audirvana released software updates (which sounded like would help with USB connections), but after installing both this morning...I'm still having the exact problem: an endless loop of MacBook reboots when the W4S DAC2 is connected to the laptop. Can't believe it's been this long and still no resolution, and NO patch from W4S.

In parallel I've been in talks with W4S about what we can do. I've lost all hope that a driver patch from W4S will solve the problem. Only option is to "upgrade" the DAC2 at a significant cost to make it driverless. I'm holding onto one final bit of hope that W4S will "do the right thing" for their customers impacted by this issue.

Wherever this ends up, I'll share back within this thread.

ryan

Remove El Capitan, and install Mavericks instead. The problem is well known from Apple users.

And NEVER install a new OS before all the bugs are known and fixed (so wait usually at least 6 months...). Same for Mac, Win or any Linux...

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Hi Nombedes, no luck with El Capitan yet...and frustration building, given how long this issue has been known and remains unresolved. I woke up today excited that both Apple and Audirvana released software updates (which sounded like would help with USB connections), but after installing both this morning...I'm still having the exact problem: an endless loop of MacBook reboots when the W4S DAC2 is connected to the laptop. Can't believe it's been this long and still no resolution, and NO patch from W4S.

In parallel I've been in talks with W4S about what we can do. I've lost all hope that a driver patch from W4S will solve the problem. Only option is to "upgrade" the DAC2 at a significant cost to make it driverless. I'm holding onto one final bit of hope that W4S will "do the right thing" for their customers impacted by this issue.

Wherever this ends up, I'll share back within this thread.

Sorry to hear you have had suck bad luck. As stated above, I had the same issue. W4S should recall the DAC2 and issue a pro-rated refund or provide a significant discount on the upgraded mdl.

Keep us informed of your progress.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Can you try resetting the pram, can't hurt ...

Shut down the mac, plug the dac, open the mac... when you hear the "bong" of the mac

press TOGETHER: Alt, Command, letter P, letter R, let them pressed till you hear the second "bong"

again pressed till a third "bong" then let it start normally.

Hope it change something...

if you cant even hear the bong, try without connecting the dac and plug it after it is open...

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Nothing to do with W4S. It's really a Mac OS/El capitan bug.

If you want it solved, ask Apple.

No Yucca. This is on W4Sound's head. They sold the DAC2. The DAC2 requires a re-written driver for each OS X upgrade. W4Sound should be working with Apple to keep all drivers updated.

The DAC2 should have been sold with a warning label!! "Caution do not upgrade your operating system until you are certain that this equipment will function with the newer operating system"

W4Sound should be ashamed!!

Ok, sorry.

But there's also a real concern with USB/El Capitan. So avoid in any case to "upgrade" your OS if you're still on Yosemite with a USB Dac (until you're already done it without problems...).

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

From Wyred website in news...

Apple El Capitan and DAC-2 compatibility

01 December 2015

We are aware of the incompatibility of the latest Apple OS (El Capitan) and our DAC-2 (not DAC-2 DSD or DSDse, which are driverless for Mac). There is a known problem with the new OS and its incompatibility for many USB audio devices, including DACs. Our development team had a driver that worked with the pre-release version of EC, but something changed on the final release which left us without a working driver. We are working on an update. However, there also seems to be a bug with the new OS on this front, and hopefully Apple will address this on their end soon. There are many discussions online about this issue. Here is one specifically on USB DACs: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7253452?start=0&tstart=0

We and many other audio companies recommend not upgrading to El Capitan until Apple resolves their issue. If you have upgraded and your DAC-2 no longer works, please contact us to discuss options.

Thanks.

RunHomeSlow, thanks for the tip. Tried a few times (both methods), but no luck.

My workaround now is to use the Optical Out connection...but it doesn't sound as nice as USB via WW Platinum into the dac.

W4S is offering a discount on upgrading the DAC2 to "driverless", but it's still expensive and becomes almost a 100% sunk cost since I would not use the extra features enabled with the upgrade (I would only benefit from the driverless feature).

I agree, that any DAC that's so fragile with the Mac OS it interacts with, should come with a warning label, regardless of brand (I heard even the Esoteric K-03 has similar issues which is a real shame).

Can you try resetting the pram, can't hurt ...

Shut down the mac, plug the dac, open the mac... when you hear the "bong" of the mac

press TOGETHER: Alt, Command, letter P, letter R, let them pressed till you hear the second "bong"

again pressed till a third "bong" then let it start normally.

Hope it change something...

if you cant even hear the bong, try without connecting the dac and plug it after it is open...

ryan

well, that is bad... lucky i have the Dac 2 DSD se... go back to yosemite till they repair the problem on both side.

listening music is better than having the last OS X :-)

Backing up... is so much important...

i always backup library in JRiver or Audirvana, whenever i do changes... yes whenever i made changes....

OS X backup is easy too, with SuperDuper! like software or apple, can't remeber it's name :-)

You made error or they fuck it up... you just revert to last itme it works well...

i learned...

You can paste me where it is usefull... :-)