IGNORED

Lampi B7 - Amanero Combo 384 - Windows 10

Has anyone had issues installing the Amanero Combo 384 ASIO Drivers on Windows 10? I am a Lampi B7 owner. I have been using a windows based laptop as an NAA to stream DSD256 to the Lampi B7 from a Mac Mini using HQ Player. The sound from this combination is amazing! The windows based laptop I have been using is an i3 Dell with Windows 8.1 on loan from a relative. I now have a new Asus K501UX i7 laptop that I intend to continue using as the NAA (and occasionally for other uses). The new laptop is a Windows 10 machine. I installed the Amanero Combo 384 ASIO Drivers on the Windows 10 laptop. Install is successful and driver is detected as working when I plug in the DAC to the Laptop's USB. However, for some reason I cannot get this to work properly. I can play or stream PCM up to 24/96 to the Lampi. Anything above that (including DSD at any rate) comes out as noise, pops and clicks on the DAC. It seems to me this is a driver problem or some driver incompatibility with the new computer (since the DAC works fine with the mac or the windows 8.1 laptop) but I have been unable to fix it. Do you know of any incompatibility between Windows 10 and the Amanero 384 ASIO Drivers? Any help of comments would be appreciated.

Mac Mini (2012) SSD / Lampizator Big 7 / ARC Preamp + Amp / Martin Logan Speakers and Subs.

I have a Big 7 Bal.

I don't run it on Windows 10 though. It works fine on Windows 7, but I have a few suggestions.

1. Did you try the WASAPI driver versus the ASIO? I actually like it slightly better in jriver/win7?

2. Did you optimize Windows for audio playback? There are several guides that should still apply to Win10.

3. Prior to getting the Lampi, I tried Win10 with another DAC and didn't like it. I actually ran a latency test and it was HIGHER in Win10 by a large margin. Thus, I undid the Win10 upgrade and have had no problems since with Win7 optimized for audio.

I have a Big 7 Bal.

I don't run it on Windows 10 though. It works fine on Windows 7, but I have a few suggestions.

1. Did you try the WASAPI driver versus the ASIO? I actually like it slightly better in jriver/win7?

2. Did you optimize Windows for audio playback? There are several guides that should still apply to Win10.

3. Prior to getting the Lampi, I tried Win10 with another DAC and didn't like it. I actually ran a latency test and it was HIGHER in Win10 by a large margin. Thus, I undid the Win10 upgrade and have had no problems since with Win7 optimized for audio.

How do you ran the latency test under Windows 10?

Roch

Look up dpc latency checker. The program may not officially be compatible with Win10, but the difference in latency was so big, plus anecdotal evidence, convinced me that Win7 was best for the processor/driver/DAC I'm using.

Precisely for this I asked you for the latency checker you used. It's far from accurate on Windows 8 & 10...

In my case I like better Win 10, but with HQ Player. Also tried Win 8 and don't have any Win 7 version to tell you my anecdote :)

Best,

Roch

Yeah...I used the latency checker just to confirm the issues I was having with Win10. It was more than double.

The amount of ticks/pops/dropouts were the most damming for me with Win10.

It's not surprising at all though...Most of these USB drivers were specifically built for prior versions of Windows and almost none have been updated for Win10. Most companies have done basic compatibility tests, but not actually created a Win10 driver. In fact, some drivers are forcing Win10 users to run certain programs in "compatibility" mode to get it to work.

That's why I highly recommend people not be guinea pigs and use Win10 yet. Some people will do just fine, but the risk is not worth the reward yet...as the person who started this thread found.

I tried Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and I got better sound with W10. Regarding latency, these two links are interesting, it seems that audio reproduction in W10 is pretty different from older versions, so that would explain why DPC Latency Checker test under W10 is not reliable. In the second link, cited that Microsoft has a tool to check latency in W10

Windows 10 for Pro Audio by PCAudioLabs

The Cakewalk Blog » Blog Archive » Windows 10 Enhancements For Music Production

Yin[br]HQPlayer-MBPro-SFP-fanless NUC i7-e22-ARC Ref10-ARC Ref75SE-ML CLX

I tried Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, and I got better sound with W10. Regarding latency, these two links are interesting, it seems that audio reproduction in W10 is pretty different from older versions, so that would explain why DPC Latency Checker test under W10 is not reliable. In the second link, cited that Microsoft has a tool to check latency in W10

Windows 10 for Pro Audio by PCAudioLabs

The Cakewalk Blog » Blog Archive » Windows 10 Enhancements For Music Production

For the same reason DPC Latency Checker works with Win10, but isn't "reliable"...you can also assume that USB drivers made for Win7 won't be optimal either.

Thus, as I mentioned, my recommendation would be to avoid Win10 unless your driver has been specifically designed for Win10...Being "compatible" is a lot different from being optimally designed for the audio reproduction changes in Win10.

That being said...it's good to hear reports of those trying Win10 and able to get good results.

For the same reason DPC Latency Checker works with Win10, but isn't "reliable"...you can also assume that USB drivers made for Win7 won't be optimal either.

Thus, as I mentioned, my recommendation would be to avoid Win10 unless your driver has been specifically designed for Win10...Being "compatible" is a lot different from being optimally designed for the audio reproduction changes in Win10.

That being said...it's good to hear reports of those trying Win10 and able to get good results.

Hmmm... I don't know, a driver works or don't. Sometimes is hard to get "Windows Certification" for an specific OS (or several).

Roch

Hmmm... I don't know, a driver works or don't. Sometimes is hard to get "Windows Certification" for an specific OS (or several).

Roch

Using that logic, there are tons of different options in Jriver for USB that "work" (kernel streaming, ASIO, WASAPI, direct, etc.). Are you saying that it doesn't matter to you since they all "work"?

Have you never received notice of an update for a driver on your PC??? Do you think these updates do nothing to improve the performance of the driver?

If what I said about a old driver made for Windows 7 not being optimal for Win 10 doesn't make sense to you, then I guess you're one of the few that never updates drivers and has had good luck.

I can tell you for a fact though that some old drivers will technically "work" in Win10, but only if you run in compatibility mode. This defeats the purpose and is not optimal....maybe even much worse as the original poster (and many others) have found.

Using that logic, there are tons of different options in Jriver for USB that "work" (kernel streaming, ASIO, WASAPI, direct, etc.). Are you saying that it doesn't matter to you since they all "work"?

Have you never received notice of an update for a driver on your PC??? Do you think these updates do nothing to improve the performance of the driver?

If what I said about a old driver made for Windows 7 not being optimal for Win 10 doesn't make sense to you, then I guess you're one of the few that never updates drivers and has had good luck.

I can tell you for a fact though that some old drivers will technically "work" in Win10, but only if you run in compatibility mode. This defeats the purpose and is not optimal....maybe even much worse as the original poster (and many others) have found.

Hey, take it easy!

First, I'm not a regular Windows user and wouldn't. I have it because I need it as a NAA in my H Q player setup, where ASIO allows me to play native DSD and no DoP. H Q Player runs like a Rolls-Royce on a Mac under OS X.

And no, I don't have the patience to wait for Windows drivers update, because driver developers, not Windows, are giving us those updates when they want, or almost never.

Regarding "optimal" meaning (to me) is the driver that please my ears and works without problems. "Compatibility mode" is sometimes needed because the driver is not "signed" by Microsoft.

I'm not under JRiver and wouldn't, it's a good database only (to my very personal taste).

Roch

PS/ The original poster already solved his issue, it wasn't the driver, but Win / Microsoft sh*t...!

I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10, neither JRiver 20 nor Chord driver ASIO 1.03 we're written or updated for Windows 10, but Windows 10 was definitely an upgrade in SQ. Without any compatibility mode. Further upon optimization of Windows 10 I managed even greater SQ, no compatibility issues. I've never attempted Windows 7 optimization.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)