IGNORED

Sorting issues in iTunes

Hello all. I have been having an issue with iTunes that I have been unable to resolve. It lies with the tags I believe, but no matter what I do to edit them, the problem stays. The problem is evident in the screen cap of the iTunes tag editing window below. The last name of the artist is first, first name last, and I am unable to correct it. It is not like this for every album. Any idea how to correct this?

Untitled.png

No electron left behind.

Well the "sort as" order is lasted name, first name; but the displayed name is correct first name last name.

When you say it can't be corrected, you can't select the "sort as" entry and delete it?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The sort order tag is in the itunes data base, the artist and album tags are in the files themselves.

I have Diana Krall albums sorted by Diana Krall and by Krall, Diana. Nothing I do in the sorting window in iTunes effects that. It has been this way for a while, I just decided to try and fix it today.

edit: Albums other than just Diana Krall are affected by this too.

No electron left behind.

The sort order tag is in the itunes data base, the artist and album tags are in the files themselves.

I think you're wrong Bill... Both can be edited in an external editor (IIRC)

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Try loading the files into an external tag editor.

I'm slightly missing what the problem is...

As I understand it you currently have the artist listed as "Diana Krall" but sorted as "Krall, Diana". How do you want her to be sorted?

If you have some tracks with a "sort as" and some without then iTunes will pick up and sort them all as per the "sort as" (again IIRC).

Eloise

---

Try loading the files into an external tag editor.

I'm slightly missing what the problem is...

As I understand it you currently have the artist listed as "Diana Krall" but sorted as "Krall, Diana". How do you want her to be sorted?

If you have some tracks with a "sort as" and some without then iTunes will pick up and sort them all as per the "sort as" (again IIRC).

I am unable to change the "sort as" tag, that is the problem.

No electron left behind.