IGNORED

Help with Weiss DAC2 and iTunes changing sampling rate

Need some clarification on changing sample rate in iTunes under Mac OSX:

To change sampling rate while in iTunes, if I go out to the Weiss Firewire Control Panel and change the sample rate, do I need to exit and restart iTunes?

Or could I just switch out to change the sample rate and switch back to iTUnes?

I remember Kent telling me that I have to exit and re-enter iTunes after changing sampling rate. But it seems the Weiss Control Panel changes the sampling rate independent from iTunes, so I am not sure if that exit and restart is necessary.

The manual is very brief and does not touch on this subject.

Also, is there any news on a Weiss software that allows users to check if their stream is "bit perfect"

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

No need to play with the Weiss front-end. It will change automatically once iTunes is restarted. With other players like Amarra the sample rate changes automatically (i.e Amarra uses iTunes for GUI and library mgmt only) so no restart is necessary.

Daniel talked earlier about a plan for a bit-perfect file test but I've heard nothing recently.

You said >>No need to play with the Weiss front-end. It will change automatically once iTunes is restarted.

From my Mac OSX machine I have to change sampling rate from the Weiss GUI, the Weiss DAC will not switch to different bit rate without the GUI selection.

What I am wondering is if I need to quit out of iTunes when accessing the GUI, can I:

Method 1:

1. Switch from iTunes to Weiss GUI

2. CHange sampling rate to desired rate (e.g. 96KHZ)

3. Switch back to iTunes

4. Play 96KHZ Music

Method 2:

OR do I have to do the following instead:

1. Quit iTunes

2. Switch from iTunes to Weiss GUI

3. CHange sampling rate to desired rate (e.g. 96KHZ)

4. Start iTunes

4. Play 96KHZ Music

Will method 1 suffice?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

>>Method two is required for bit transparency.

The reason I ask this question is this:

A nice person from our local forum is good enough to have written an iTunes for Mac plug-in that automagically switch the Weiss to the appropriate sampling rate before a track is played.

But everywhere I read seems to indicate that iTunes defaults sampling rate to the Audio-Midi settings when the program is started, and up/down sample to that default rate no matter what is bring played.

If that is the case, then that auto switching software still would not provide bit perfect playback, would it?