IGNORED

Ramdisk Software

kilroy

Seems a few people are using ramdisk apps on their Windows servers. I've seen Primo Ramdisk, it has a free trial but for Windows Server 2012 the purchase price is pretty high. I've also seen others for as little as $20.

I believe at least in some cases they create a virtual disk. Would you need to point your music player at these discs then, or in what other ways does the virtual disc effect the setup.

And of course is there an actual improvement in perceived sound quality?

Look forward to any user experiences with these products.

Thanks.

We having been using Softperfect RAM disk on Win 10 Technical preview and now Win 10 Pro with no problems for quite a while

what problems did you run into with Softperfect on Win 10 ?

Blue screen :( It was a bugger to get the drivers removed & Windows to boot again. I believe SoftPerfect has now released a new version that is Windows 10 compatible.

Seems a few people are using ramdisk apps on their Windows servers. I've seen Primo Ramdisk, it has a free trial but for Windows Server 2012 the purchase price is pretty high. I've also seen others for as little as $20.

And of course is there an actual improvement in perceived sound quality?

Thanks.

I would like to know if there is any improvement in SQ with a ramdisk as well, or is it simply a matter of wishful thinking?

Also, are any 64-bit versions of these ramdisk apps available?

I would like to know if there is any improvement in SQ with a ramdisk as well, or is it simply a matter of wishful thinking?

I'm using a Mac as my music server, with my music files fed from a FireWire external HDD. While popular music player apps like Audirvana, Amarra, and others pre-load one or two tracks into memory cache before playback, HQPlayer pages the external drive every few seconds in real time as it plays the track.

I don't actually hear a difference playing from ramdisk vs. the external drive, but, in theory, it might be preferable to preload the album into a ramdisk when using HQPlayer to limit electrical activity between the computer and the external drive during playback.

I'm using a Mac as my music server, with my music files fed from a FireWire external HDD. While popular music player apps like Audirvana, Amarra, and others pre-load one or two tracks into memory cache before playback, HQPlayer pages the external drive every few seconds in real time as it plays the track.

I don't actually hear a difference playing from ramdisk vs. the external drive, but, in theory, it might be preferable to preload the album into a ramdisk when using HQPlayer to limit electrical activity between the computer and the external drive during playback.

Currently, my entire music collection is resident on a SanDisk Extreme Pro USB 3.0 128 Gb Flash Drive and playback is via native USB 3.0 port on laptop.

I can verify HQPlayer's paging support as the first time a track is played, the USB drive light is active almost continually. With subsequent playbacks during the session, drive light is inactive. It's impossible to tell which sounds better.