IGNORED

Yggdrasil -- which power cord?

Yes, pretty likely. If you look at Schiit's photo of the guts of the Ygg, you will note that it has a RFI/EMI filter on the IEC power connector. (See the upper left-hand corner.) The same is true for the Gungnir and Bifrost.

yggy-pcb-1920.jpg

The emc filter is to provide compliance with various authorities around the globe for *emission* standards emanating from the equipment and to an extent conducted Rf via the mains power network.

That emc filter has no effect against lower order frequencies of the 50/60Hz multiples which can run wherever they like usually ending up on power supply rails unless the DAC designer has shunted them out.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The emc filter is to provide compliance with various authorities around the globe for *emission* standards emanating from the equipment and to an extent conducted Rf via the mains power network.

That emc filter has no effect against lower order frequencies of the 50/60Hz multiples which can run wherever they like usually ending up on power supply rails unless the DAC designer has shunted them out.

So does this mean I need the Tree of Life Kryptonite Power Cord ?

I believe Mike has used a choke input PS in the Yggy. That should keep the 50/60hz harmonics well filtered.

Warning... Bad puns to follow...

Surely it has to be Nordost cabling. Only Odin is able to truly control Yggdrasil and take the sound to Valhalla...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Surely it has to be Nordost cabling. Only Odin is able to truly control Yggdrasil and take the sound to Valhalla...

What she said!

Waiting on BBC to renew The Last Kingdom for another season and for the next season of The Vikings to start up to keep up with some Norse mumbo jumbo!

Tone with Soul

Warning... Bad puns to follow...

Heimdall can also help you bridge the gap from Yggdrasil to Valhalla. Cryogenic cable, of course, brings the frost giants into the mix and is, therefore, not recommended. For some reason Yggdrasil sounds best on Wednesdays and Thursdays...

It's been said that one listen to Yggdrasil will rune all other DACS for you.

Heimdall can also help you bridge the gap from Yggdrasil to Valhalla. Cryogenic cable, of course, brings the frost giants into the mix and is, therefore, not recommended. For some reason Yggdrasil sounds best on Wednesdays and Thursdays...

It's been said that one listen to Yggdrasil will rune all other DACS for you.

One can only stand by in helpless admiration. At least I think admiration is this helpless feeling I'm getting....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

BTW - esimms86, tell me about that instrument on your avatar.

PM works, so we don't get off topic (Norse mythology).

Looks cool. I've seen something like it in a shop, but was afraid to pick it up as would not know what to do with the second neck.

Tone with Soul

• 2 years later...
On 11/9/2015 at 7:24 PM, wgscott said:

They might also hold the opinion that a properly designed DAC might be immune to differences in power cords.  

Might as well say that a properly designed preamp/amp might be immune to different brands of tubes also.   They all effect something. I began switching some cords I have around and find they will make a difference. 

I am wondering if by now (this thread was started 2015) someone has discovered some cords that compliment the Yggy.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

58 minutes ago, Cyrus said:

@GeneZ  I find my Yggy benefits from the use of a Triode Wire Labs PC.

Thanks....  I see that Triode designs cables specifically for digital.  That gave me an idea.  I have a type of cable that was included with my Nuforce and Nuprime amps.   They are digital amps.  I am now trying one on the Yggy.  Needs probably to be burned in a bit yet...  I am already hearing a clarity that reveals a difference.  I will be observing this for the next few weeks.   Thanks again.

It all depends upon in what dimension of life one finds themselves living in.  For, one man's music is another man's noise. 

In the mean time I continue to hear differences....  I think its all about what one listens with. 

I think it would be much easier to discover the reason for this conflict by those who hear no differences, to have you describe your methodology. For those who can and do hear differences have all sorts of systems with variables.  Yet,  consistently, there are those who hear no differences, no matter what they change in their system in regards to cables of the various kinds. If you told us what you listen with it may help others to see if its certain combinations that cause this "veiling" that obscures what they hear.

As for me and others?  We wonder why some hear no differences.  Apparently, their equipment is not allowing them to.

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound."

I had the privilege of working for a high end shop in the 70's.  I was allowed to take home and audition various components.  In spite of reviews...  I heard things that reviews could never tell you.  How a component will interact with an entire system. 

For anyone to say they can not hear differences?  I can recall certain speakers that would have caused that to happen.  Even certain amps.  If I were to audition certain cables while using some speakers, or certain amplifiers for that matter?   I would have been stranded, not knowing what the big deal was about certain cables.. power cords, etc.  It was not that I could not hear.  It was that what certain components present would not have allowed me to hear the nuances and details that are changed....

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

you put forth an unusual claim but refuse to describe how your performed listening tests

that says something

Your question is perplexing, for its simple for most of us.  How do you do it differently?

If you ever listen to a new piece of equipment in your system? What do you do?

As for me?   I simply substitute the new component for what I am presently using, and give a listen.  I will listen to various songs that I am very familiar with to see what is different, and if there is to be something  improved, or not.  It may span days of listening to cover many different aspects. 

And you?   How do you perform a listening test?   Please answer. 

4 hours ago, mansr said:

Yes, it depends on whether one listens with one's ears or with one's wallet.

Off course...   We are not talking about those who have more money than they know what to do with.  At least, I hope not. 

But,  I would like to see Ralf11's answer.  He seemed to have some special methodology that I get the feeling he thinks may be unique to himself.