IGNORED

PlayClassics master file giveaway for CA members

I for one am very happy to see the discussion here about these recordings. Mr. Martinez has given out a valuable reference. Two mics, the same place in the same hall for these different performances. A documentary approach. An approach after my own heart felt opinions regarding proper recording technique.

So much time has been spent talking about the Absolute sound of real music in real space as a reference. The problem is without recordings like PlayClassics has made available you have no chance of accurate appraisals of your playback accuracy. Someone pointed out there is little energy above 15 khz. Yet from an audience perspective without close miking on these instruments that is usually the reality. I have read of people speaking of natural sounding unforced detail in good playback. Here you have the real thing, no need for uptitled response or close miking, plenty of detail and naturally unforced. I would not be surprised if a good many systems have been dulled to compensate for the majority of recordings done with multiple microphones and these excellent recordings may sound a touch dull. Nevertheless these recordings provide you a way to evaluate the balance, and imaging of your playback hardware with some genuine insight because of the way the recordings were done. Close the loop somewhat by hearing some acoustic guitar and a large piano then you will be able to fairly judge how well everything hangs together in your playback system.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

We will be happy to send a Gift Code to all CA members who would be willing to try the Truthful Recording Technology sound on their systems.

Just send us a PM with the album of your choice and we will send you a Gift Code to download the full dynamic range 24bit 96kHz Truthful Master.

All we want in exchange is to get as much feedback as possible. It would be great if we could get your testimonials to include them on our web page.

PlayClassics, the art of true music

Mario,

Thanks again for the three piano albums; the two Dedussy recordings and the Albaniz in 24/96 FLAC format. These are without a doubt the best commercial piano recordings that I've ever heard, and I have quite a collection as piano is, by far, my favorite solo instrument.

Your perspectives are perfect, the piano stays "put" right in center stage, yet the "gestalt" of the piano fills the room from wall to wall. This how a piano sounds playing in a real room, and when I listen to these recordings, I am always impressed by this realistic imaging.

Also I am much gratified by the fact that you used a much lower than usual record level, thus taking full advantage of the dynamic range afforded by 24-bits. It might result in a slightly lower than average playback level, but the fact that you were able to capture the piano's full range without gain-riding or compression merely adds to the realism and to this fellow recordist, that is very gratifyingly!

Thanks, again. I'd love to meet you sometime. We obviously think alike wrt to recording realism.

George

I for one am very happy to see the discussion here about these recordings. Mr. Martinez has given out a valuable reference. Two mics, the same place in the same hall for these different performances. A documentary approach. An approach after my own heart felt opinions regarding proper recording technique.

So much time has been spent talking about the Absolute sound of real music in real space as a reference. The problem is without recordings like PlayClassics has made available you have no chance of accurate appraisals of your playback accuracy. Someone pointed out there is little energy above 15 khz. Yet from an audience perspective without close miking on these instruments that is usually the reality. I have read of people speaking of natural sounding unforced detail in good playback. Here you have the real thing, no need for uptitled response or close miking, plenty of detail and naturally unforced. I would not be surprised if a good many systems have been dulled to compensate for the majority of recordings done with multiple microphones and these excellent recordings may sound a touch dull. Nevertheless these recordings provide you a way to evaluate the balance, and imaging of your playback hardware with some genuine insight because of the way the recordings were done. Close the loop somewhat by hearing some acoustic guitar and a large piano then you will be able to fairly judge how well everything hangs together in your playback system.

+1

It is my firm belief that if one get's their system to sound real when playing back properly recorded acoustic instruments (the classical acoustic guitar and the grand piano are perfect examples), then everything else will sound "right" as well. Of course, we really have no way of knowing what "studio music" (pop and rock) sounds like because we likely don't have the same playback speakers that the music was mixed with and we weren't there, so we don't have any way of knowing what it sounded like in the studio, but this side of knowing that information and changing speakers for each recording to match the ones used in each mix session, the best we can do is use a neutral, accurate system for everything.

George

Mario, If it is not to late I would like the code to download Cabrera plays Debussy. I'm just getting into digital music files and still have a lot to learn however the positive comments that I have read on the Computer Audiophile forum have peaked my interest in your company. I actually signed up for a years subscription to Computer Audiophile based on what you are doing and the comments that the members have posted. I've tried to visit your donation site but I get a message that the site does not exist. I'm not very adept on computer usage so maybe I'm doing something wrong, ( Hopefully this post works since this is the first time I've used a forum.) Please provide further information on how to get to your donation site. Thank You. John Bernot.

Mario, If it is not to late I would like the code to download Cabrera plays Debussy. I'm just getting into digital music files and still have a lot to learn however the positive comments that I have read on the Computer Audiophile forum have peaked my interest in your company. I actually signed up for a years subscription to Computer Audiophile based on what you are doing and the comments that the members have posted. I've tried to visit your donation site but I get a message that the site does not exist. I'm not very adept on computer usage so maybe I'm doing something wrong, ( Hopefully this post works since this is the first time I've used a forum.) Please provide further information on how to get to your donation site. Thank You. John Bernot.

Hi John,

welcome to the forum :)

I have sent you a Private Message with the codes and links to download the files. Should you have any problems, please respond to the private message so I can further assist you.

Enjoy!

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

mario,

if the offer is still available, i would love to download iberia! thanks for your generosity!

jim

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
mario,

if the offer is still available, i would love to download iberia! thanks for your generosity!

jim

Thank you Jim, I just sent you the code.

The offer is on until we reach everyone. We have only reached 115 people so far, so I think we still have a long way to go. :)

Mario Martínez

Mario,

Quite a generous offer...can you please send me the codes for Cabrera Plays Debussy, Albeniz and, if still available, the flamenco pieces?

Thanks,

Gilles

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

Mario,

Thank you very much for providing me with the codes so quickly, I did download the Cabrera/Debussy and flamenco files easily - and donated with pleasure - and listen to them a number of times last night.

I do not possess the experience and knowledge that many CA members possess and am unable to comment on mic placement, recording techniques and equipment and so on, but I certainly enjoyed very much listening to all these tracks.

As for the Cabrera/Debussy, the naturalness of the sound of the piano is truly great. Closing my eyes while listening, I felt closer to the actual performance than on any other piano recordings I have. As for the flamenco pieces, my sound stage is a tiny bit left of that shown in your sketch, due to my room's shape I think, and the guitar and voice sound just great.

I look forward to listening to your future recordings and wish you the best of luck!

Gilles

MacBook Pro (OS 10.13, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, external Oyen HD w FireWire, Audirvana+ 3.5) -> Mapleshade Clearlink USB Plus cable -> UpTone Audio ISO Regen w Ultracap LPS-1.2 -> Wavelength Brick v3 DAC -> Transparent Wave Link interconnects -> Luxman R-1050 -> Transparent Music Wave Plus speaker cables -> ASW Cantius 504 speakers

mario,

thank you so much for the opportunity to download iberia. all i can say is wow! it's amazing to truly feel like you were there in the room with the performer. the naturalness of the sound, experiencing the body and vibrations from the piano, and the beauty of the playing were eye-opening for me!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Closing my eyes while listening, I felt closer to the actual performance than on any other piano recordings I have.

it's amazing to truly feel like you were there in the room with the performer

Thank you so much!

Bringing the performance to your space is the main purpose to all our doings :)

Mario Martínez

So here is another weekly report :)

We have given out 122 albums so far: 62 for Albéniz Iberia, 25 for Cabrera plays Debussy, 19 for Debussy Préludes, 9 for Chopin Polish Songs and 7 for Songs of Paolo Tosti. In addition to the albums, we have also given out 53 of the flamenco samples.

We are currently offering 24/96, 24/48, 16/44 and two sets of MP3 files (one without dynamic range compression, and one with dynamic range compression). If you find this useful I will be happy to send you a new code so you can get the lower resolution versions of the albums you downloaded.

I want to thank you all for your wonderful feedback. These testimonials are a great help. I am really grateful for this :)

Mario Martínez