IGNORED

PlayClassics master file giveaway for CA members

I'm guessing that it was made with 2 mics placed just outside the footprint of an open grand.

Hi David,

we use the same setup for every recording. It does not matter if it is just piano, or any other chamber music arrangement. We only use two mics and they are always placed on the same exact spot of our auditorium outside of the stage area. There is no mixing involved, left mic is left speaker and right mic is right speaker. We have obtained this sound by working the acoustics of the auditorium itself.

This is an accurate picture of our setup. It might not be pretty, but the measurements are correct. The person at the bottom of the picture represents the actual position of the mics. They really are outside of the stage area, and they are sitting at that same spot for all five albums.

stage.png

Mario Martínez

Recording Engineer and Music Producer

Play Classics, classical music at its best

Mario, after reading through the thread I'd love to try Albeniz Iberia's album. Just the samples I have to say, even on my laptop, I can tell this will be amazing. And that makes me afraid......... because I'll probably go buy the other ones I want. ha ha! If you're still giving out codes I would very much appreciate one!

We are dedicated to chamber music. We are purposely recording this music in a way that resembles its original setup.

Our auditorium is a small hall, much the size of the palace chambers used to perform chamber music back in the XIX century. This type of space (when treated correctly) provides a much warmer more intimate sound experience. The instruments are in the middle of the room and people are seating all around them. The sound is direct (you are very close to the instruments), yet there is a bit of reverb from the room (but never quite as much as you would have in a large hall)

We need a piano to play chamber music without overriding the other instruments. We tried several pianos on our hall to try to find one with just the right amount of power. A full size grand and two 7 foot pianos. Full size grands are way to powerful for this kind of setup. Of the two 7 foot pianos, we chose the more powerful one plus we liked the tone better :)

So this is it:

The piano is a 7 foot Yamaha (25 years old)

The mics are 11'6" away from the piano (ORTF setup)

Mario Martínez

The piano is a 7 foot Yamaha

Yes!!! So the recording is truly excellent - the size and soundboard character of the piano are beautifully captured (thus my guess of a Kawai GX6 or 7). My own piano is a Yamaha G1J that we bought new in 1981.

Congratulations - your approach is a great success.

David

The mics are 11'6" away from the piano (ORTF setup)

I have returned home from travel and listened to the Albeniz Iberia album yesterday.

Sound and performance are absolutely 1st rate. The sonic pic presented between and behind my speakers is precisely what you've described and pictured here.

Thanks again for this opportunity.

I will be back to your site for more.

Doak

Well spotted, @bluesman.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Here is another update to see how we are doing so far: we have given out 77 Gift Codes, 41 for Albéniz Iberia, 14 for Cabrera plays Debussy, 12 for Debussy Préludes, 6 for Chopin Polish Songs and 4 for Songs of Paolo Tosti.

Again, I would like to thank those of you who have donated to download another album. I have been asked about the donation buttons: you can donate whichever amount you think is fair, it does not matter if you donate 6, 10, 14 or 18 you will be able to download the same files.

Someone has asked me if we have considered using this technology to record other genders like Jazz. We have tried it with Flamenco. We recorded some straight takes and it worked just the same. I cannot see a reason why it would not work with Jazz.

If someone is interested on listening to these flamenco files please tell me so. I will be happy to send them to you. May be we could convince them to record a whole album !

Mario Martínez

Here is another update to see how we are doing so far: we have given out 77 Gift Codes, 41 for Albéniz Iberia, 14 for Cabrera plays Debussy, 12 for Debussy Préludes, 6 for Chopin Polish Songs and 4 for Songs of Paolo Tosti.

Again, I would like to thank those of you who have donated to download another album. I have been asked about the donation buttons: you can donate whichever amount you think is fair, it does not matter if you donate 6, 10, 14 or 18 you will be able to download the same files.

Someone has asked me if we have considered using this technology to record other genders like Jazz. We have tried it with Flamenco. We recorded some straight takes and it worked just the same. I cannot see a reason why it would not work with Jazz.

If someone is interested on listening to these flamenco files please tell me so. I will be happy to send them to you. May be we could convince them to record a whole album !

Mario - I would love to hear the flamenco files if you would be so kind.

Also will be donating to download another album, I thoroughly enjoyed the Albania Iberia!

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Very interested in hearing your Flamenco recordings.

I'd definitely like to listen to them.

+1 on hearing the flamenco files.

I'd be very keen for you to try recording some jazz.

Fabulous to learn more about your recording process and instruments used. I wish I had such information for all my recordings - embedded in the metadata. (I guess that's what Roon is for... shame that metadata can't be made more accessible without such subscriptions..)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Here is the picture so you know where the singer and the guitar were placed on the stage. Everything else is exactly the same as for all the other recordings. Same mic position, same levels, same acoustics, ...the only different thing is the instruments and their placement on the stage.

flamenco.png

Mario Martínez

Ok, I just sent them all...

When you listen to these flamenco samples please keep in mind that we were just trying things out, we were not trying to record an album. These are just straight takes (live) with no editing whatsoever.

Whatever you were doing, it sounds amazing. Who are the artists?

Ok, I just sent them all...

When you listen to these flamenco samples please keep in mind that we were just trying things out, we were not trying to record an album. These are just straight takes (live) with no editing whatsoever.

Got it. Listened to it.

Your "controlled recording environment" is working very well.

You taking very clear sonic photographs. Startling real recordings.

I think a Flamenco album is in order.

For my tastes more guitar and bit less vocal.

Thanks!

Doak

Mario, do you ever sleep? :)

I'd like a code for the Quirós Debussy Préludes, please.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Greetings Mario,

I'd love to try pianist Luis Grané's recording of Iberia by Albéniz.

Thank you,

Todd

Me too.

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

If someone is interested on listening to these flamenco files please tell me so. I will be happy to send them to you. May be we could convince them to record a whole Here is another update to see how we are doing so far: we have given out 77 Gift Codes, 41 for Albéniz Iberia, 14 for Cabrealbum !

Mario, big fan of flamenco here.

Would be happy to have a listen to those files!

Regards

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110