IGNORED

PlayClassics master file giveaway for CA members

Mario, do you ever sleep? :)

I'd like a code for the Quirós Debussy Préludes, please.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'd like a code for the Quirós Debussy Préludes, please.

These were excellent. The word that comes immediately to mind regarding the sound is "natural." There is not a sense of a recording being made so much as listening in on a performance.

I don't know whether you choose the artists, they choose you, or both, but someone chose well, because the performance is beautiful.

Thank you, I'll be donating.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to mention that anyone who enjoys well recorded classical music should take the opportunity to get a code and download these.

Please provide me with a code for the drums. Thanks again for your generosity, Mario.

+1 on both counts (request for the download code and thanks for your generosity).

NOTE: Don’t go a shorter route by creating a playlist for the two tracks and play them from there. It is because the playlist CHANGES the PHASE of the tracks!

That makes no sense. Are you saying iTunes alters the audio somehow if playing from a playlist but not when playing an album?

Hi Francis. Are you referring to phase because you are speculating that is the reason, or because there is some specific information you know? If the latter, what would that information be?

Thanks.

I understand phase change is NOT measurable by instruments.

iZotope_IP.png

iZotope_USNA.png

Same filter/SRC software, just two different phase settings (intermediate above, linear below). So, easily measurable.

Edit: These graphs are from SRC Comparisons

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely, Mario, would love to try it.

Edit: I don't see a bass guitar/amp description.

Listened to the rock recording. First, very skilled players. Second, obviously a very accurate presentation. Third, to my taste at least, for future such recordings the bass must be louder with respect to the other instruments. In the couple of sections where the guitar and drums held back, the bass playing was beautiful, but when the guitar and drums were full out the bass got somewhat lost in the background. I don't know if this would require the guitar and bass to play at unrealistically low levels in order for the bass not to overload the room. And finally, I understand why there were no vocals - it's hard to imagine even an opera singer being heard very well against that background.

Listened to the rock recording. First, very skilled players. Second, obviously a very accurate presentation. Third, to my taste at least, for future such recordings the bass must be louder with respect to the other instruments. In the couple of sections where the guitar and drums held back, the bass playing was beautiful, but when the guitar and drums were full out the bass got somewhat lost in the background. I don't know if this would require the guitar and bass to play at unrealistically low levels in order for the bass not to overload the room. And finally, I understand why there were no vocals - it's hard to imagine even an opera singer being heard very well against that background.

Sorry, in the above it should be "...require the guitar and *drums* to play at unrealistically low levels...."

Thank you all for the feedback on this rock sample.

I have been talking to the musicians and they too feel this same way about the bass.

The point of the experiment is to find out how rock sounds when recorded on a documentary manner. The bass does sound the way it did live on the hall, but since I have no experience with how rock "should" sound I was not able to advice them on this respect while they were recording. Now that they have heard the recording for a few days they do wish it had sounded different.

If this was a fantasy recording we could just try to fix this on the mixing or mastering stage, but since we are all about documentary we can only try to fix this on the live performance itself.

I think we might have to re-record this sample in order to complete the experiment :)

All right then! :)

Edit: And if there's an album, I'd be happy to make a contribution in return for downloading it. They're very good players.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been working on these experimental samples (Drums and Rock) and I have realized that there is something I overlooked.

The only thing that is different about these samples is the fact that the instruments themselves are much louder than the ones we usually record. The fact that they are so loud is what made us lower the gain on our setup by 24dB in the first place. All other things being equal that should have been enough to make this sample sound as good as everything else. But that did not happen, so what happened then?

Our hall is calibrated to work with classical music instruments playing at chamber music volume levels. We measured its response to calibrate it so that we could control the sound that the hall would deliver onto the microphone setup. But those measurements were always done at the volume levels used in chamber music.

These rock instruments are 24dB louder. At this volume levels, the hall is not behaving the same way. We had never measured the response of the hall for these volume levels, but now that we are doing this experiment we did measure it and we found out that the response is different enough to throw things off.

We have developed a filter that compensates for this deviation. I have applied it to both the drums and the rock samples and it seems to work just fine. I am very interested that you do hear these samples with the filter, if it works we should be able to make truthful rock recordings too :)

Since I'm a little suspicious of filters, I will be a very good candidate to listen to the piece with and without the filter, realizing that without the filter you have the problem that the room is being overdriven. It seems we will be having bad weather tomorrow, so it should be a perfect day for staying in and listening to some music (after my ears stop ringing from running the snow blower :) ).

Mario, if you still have the unfiltered samples I never downloaded those and would much appreciate a chance to do so. I tried with the code that was provided but it did not work.

I just uploaded a normalized version of the drums and rock samples.

I did apply that low cut filter I was talking about and it does make all the difference. I also applied a limiter and brought the volume 8dB up. I think this time we might be on to something :)

Who wants to try?

Me. :)

Can you also please open up the version with the louder bass but no filtering applied? I never did download that one, and I'd be very interested in comparing it to the others.

Thanks, Mario!

Hi Mario, I just downloaded all the rest, and would like the link to the latest version to complete my collection. :) I think I will have some time to listen tomorrow.