Sign in to follow this  
Mario Martinez

PlayClassics master file giveaway for CA members

I downloaded the Iberia.

Haven't even listened to the whole album yet, but it is obvious it is a very good recording. A very natural piano sound, and doesn't have the sharp edge and unnatural reverb that many modern piano recordings have.

Definitely plays back with the perspective that you are listening to the artist from the audience - and not from inside the lid of the piano. I like that.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Very Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Hi Mario,

I made a donation on the web site to thank you for your great recordings and your generosity.

But I must admit I'm a little confused about how the site works. I assumed that when I made a donation from an album page, that I'd also get a download code for that album. I donated from the Debussy Preludes page, but don't see any download/gift key.

Is that not how the site works? Or is the key only sent manually and not automatically?

Thanks

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Very Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>RPi4 (dietpi)>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)>Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup. Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Hi Danny,

PayPal is supposed to bring you back to the album's page showing the download buttons. Something must have gone wrong, I am sorry for the inconvenience. I just sent you a PM with a code so you can download the album. Please let me know if it worked so I can help.

Worked, thanks a lot.

Haven't even listened to all of the Debussy Preludes yet, but I must say again how impressed I am by the recording. Most piano recordings today have some harshness, which I assume comes from putting mics inside the piano. That also makes the piano sound too big and too close.

I've never quite understood that approach - who listens with their head inside the piano, and why would you want your recording to sound like you do? I know this is oversimplifying, but that's my reaction to many piano recordings.

These recordings sound natural, like what you hear when you are in a room with a piano. IMO, there's no loss of detail vs. other methods, just a better, easier to listen to sound.

Could you send me the link for the drum samples? Thanks

Just listened to these again, with the volume turned up about 15db higher than how I usually listen to rock/jazz music.

Wow! Amazing. You can hear all the detail of each kind of cymbal, and clearly hear how the contact with each type of drum head sounds different. Too bad there isn't any popular music recorded like this.

And people who listen to high volume compression mp3's think we audiophiles are crazy....

Totally interested to see how rock sounds in your system. Please. And Thanks in advance.

Just listened to the Rock track. Interesting: doesn't sound anything like what I'm used to hearing.

First, I had to increase the volume about 12 to13db - acc'd to my volume knob - to get the volume I used to with Rock recordings (and my usual listening volume is about 75 db at my listening position).

Second, it does sound like a band playing in a moderate sized space - from the "audience" perspective. Not what I'm used to hearing, even from producers like Barry Diament and Cookie Marenco who have what I consider natural sounding recordings.

I'd be happy to download the "filtered" version if it's available.

Re-listened to all the rock tracks, including the "filtered" version. I do think the filtered version sounds more like what we think a rock band should sound like. The sound is natural, but I didn't love it overall.

Why? Maybe because it doesn't sound like my expectations of what a rock band should sound like - even compared to live performance. Of course this may just mean that I've been conditioned from listening to a lifetime of conventional rock recordings and concert mixes.

On the other hand, I have a few rock recordings done live with something akin to the "2 microphone" setup, and I'd say I like those better.

I do find it interesting though, that I loved the Jazz and Classical selections, and only think this one is "good".

Could you name those "2 microphone" recordings?

I have not been able to listen to the filtered version yet but after I added a bit of EQ and compression to the re-recorded version I think that it sounds more like what I used to listen in bars with live music, not so much like rock recordings.

By the way, I would like to clarify that I didn't mean, in my previous posts, that Mario should not proceed with his experiments.

R

Several are just "test" or audiophile recordings I've come across various places. Not sure how to direct you to them. But there's also an album recorded by Barry Diament, "Simplicity" by Work of Art. Not exactly the same method as Mario, but 2 mics and without typical post production. Multi-tracking, but everything recorded live with 2 mics. I understand that multi-tracking is something completely different, but this is a simple recording that I think better captures how rock should sound.

The album's title, "Simplicity", describes how the album was made:

Recorded in N.Y. at Top of the World Studios, these 14 tracks were captured in multi-track but not in multi-mono.

All takes were recorded in stereo using a pair of omnidirectional microphones mounted on either side of a Jecklin disk.

Though there are some samples, nothing was recorded via direct-inject; everything was done via the microphones. No pan pots were used and there is no compression or limiting anywhere on this record. The level is a bit lower than most modern CDs (because they didn't squash the life out of it) so turn it up and hear what uncompressed music sounds like.

Sure, this is fun. Send me the new version.

The normalized versions sound better to me. More like what I expect Rock to sound like, but still having that unique sound Mario's process gives us.

Sign in to follow this