IGNORED

Conversion of ACC files to AIFF

Forgive me if this topic has been covered, here's the issue:

Have a MB with 160GB that is almost full even when ripping music with ACC to save space. Now I bought a new Iomega portable external 500GB with Firewire with the idea that I re rip my existing collection as AIFF using the external as extra storage, not necessarily as a backup device, at first.

If I change my import settings and highlight the tracks I want to convert, will that be an OK solution to getting the files through AIFF, or do I need to delete the old ACC files and re rip the CDs? Does re ripping those files that I originally ripped with ACC loose integrity if I convert the existing files, or do I need to go back to the CDs and re rip?

I have already changed the iTunes settings so that the library goes to the HD and not my iTunes library on the laptop. This appears to be using the drive for the purpose intended. What is the easy way to send the whole iTunes library to the HD and delete the original low quality files?

Are there any other bases I need to cover?

I love you guys and this website and forum! I wish I could swing a career in this field so I wouldn't ever have to stop tinkering/learning...

Sorry but there is no format called ACC. Do you mean AAC?

If AAC format then this is what's known as a Lossy compression format so part of the information has been thrown away to compress the file. Therefore to get (any benefit from) AIFF you'll need to go back to your original CDs and re-rip them.

Sorry for the bad news.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"What is the easy way to send the whole iTunes library to the HD and delete the original low quality files?"

You done the smart thing - point your iTunes library to your HD, and turned off the 'copy files to iTunes library when adding' option.

You can just leave your AAC files in your original iTunes library, add the new files to the hard drive, and then delete the AAC files as you create duplicates in the iTunes library. (iTunes has no problem with keeping track of files in multiple locations).

Select Kind in iTunes View Options and you'll be able to easily differentiate between the types of files.

You'll have the option to Move Files to Trash after you delete them. If you want to save space on your internal hard disk, select this option.

clay