IGNORED

Verdi: Aida - Pappano (24/96)

i've listened to it a couple of times, and while i think there's much to admire in Kaufmann's singing, i find his italian difficult to listen to, and some of the other singers, notably the ramfis, are almost unlistenable.

the orchestra plays beautifully, and the sound is great, so i'm glad to have heard it.

and i find papanno mannered, with some very odd dynamics and phrasing.

to hear the real deal, find corelli/nilsson with mehta conducting the rome opera on EMI.

Here is Pavarotti, Price, and the wonderful Stefania Toczyska as Amneris in San Francisco (full video):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8rsOzPzYr8

Stefania Toczyska steals the show.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

i've listened to it a couple of times, and while i think there's much to admire in Kaufmann's singing, i find his italian difficult to listen to, and some of the other singers, notably the ramfis, are almost unlistenable.

the orchestra plays beautifully, and the sound is great, so i'm glad to have heard it.

and i find papanno mannered, with some very odd dynamics and phrasing.

to hear the real deal, find corelli/nilsson with mehta conducting the rome opera on EMI.

Much of the problem with Italian articulation stems from the lack of rolled "r's".

The corelli/nilsson/mehta is very good. It's available on Tidal. I listened to Act 1 last night and plan to continue tonight. Thanks for the recommendation. Mehta nails the Prelude, emphasizing the contrast between the Aida theme and the priests theme.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham.