IGNORED

Computer Audiophile is a good read but a challenging one....

diw

Largely because of the line width used for articles...good typographic practice for readability usually specifies line lengths of 60-75 characters including spacing...CA gets up to 158 or so. This makes it harder to read the wonderful articles...we all know that in audio, details matter...its the same for typo. Think of it as a tweak offered in a friendly spirit of support.....

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

You can also change the width of your browser window.

I use a Zoom Level of 175%

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Eyes going as well as the hearing? :) (Me too...)

At least you probably read what people right... I was wondering where your herrings were soused...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Eyes going as well as the hearing? :) (Me too...)

Hi Don

The ads on the RHS, and the increased gap on the LHS compared with many other forums don't help either.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Maybe everyone knows this, I know many do, but have often been amazed at how many don't. Holding the ctrl key and + together gives your browser some zoom. Hit it again for more or again for yet more. ctrl and -(minus key) zooms the other way. I run into so many pages that are sized differently. I zoom in or out without even thinking about it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

W8/64

Click on Image, then click again on resulting image for a larger image.

5EevbV.jpg

Command+ and Command- do this on Apple. Also, with Safari there is smart-zoom, a double-tap on the main body of the text fills the window with just what you want to focus on. There are ways to prevent the ads, but I don't want to undermine Chris.

How does that work on an iMac Bill? When I try that with my mouse, I just select text for copying.

No electron left behind.

.. I was wondering where your herrings were soused...

??? Seems pretty fishy to me. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

There are ways to prevent the ads, but I don't want to undermine Chris.

The way to axe the ads without undermining Chris is to subscribe.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Maybe everyone knows this, I know many do, but have often been amazed at how many don't. Holding the ctrl key and + together gives your browser some zoom. Hit it again for more or again for yet more. ctrl and -(minus key) zooms the other way. I run into so many pages that are sized differently. I zoom in or out without even thinking about it.

I didn't know that; thank you very much for the tip.

I have no problem reading the text on computer audiophile.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Command+ and Command- do this on Apple. Also, with Safari there is smart-zoom, a double-tap on the main body of the text fills the window with just what you want to focus on. There are ways to prevent the ads, but I don't want to undermine Chris.

Thanks everybody....some of those approaches dont seem to work with Safari but the zooming helps... the font size affects legibility ( that is can you recognize the letter ) but the line length affects readability ( the amount you have to scan to read each line ) I had also forgotten about the Reader view in Safari, which really helps. Completely off topic, but does the Brooks B17 reference in your signature refer to the Professional one with hammered rivets? A man after my own arse, if you will forgive the Brit spelling.....I dont mean to open any worm cans about ads so keep up the good work Chris

Roon NUC I3 w 2500 albums, microRendu to Liberty DAC, Pass DIY Amp class amp, Klipsch RP600 or to Schiit Freya + Gumby MB, Sanders ESL amps and speakers, Mjolnir KGST and Stax L700

Thanks everybody....some of those approaches dont seem to work with Safari but the zooming helps... the font size affects legibility ( that is can you recognize the letter ) but the line length affects readability ( the amount you have to scan to read each line ) I had also forgotten about the Reader view in Safari, which really helps. Completely off topic, but does the Brooks B17 reference in your signature refer to the Professional one with hammered rivets? A man after my own arse, if you will forgive the Brit spelling.....I dont mean to open any worm cans about ads so keep up the good work Chris

Yeah, copper hammered rivets. It really improves the sound-stage.

You might have to turn on smart zoom in the system preferences (mouse or trackpad).

eg:

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 9.16.18 AM.png

I get a minimum of ~110-112 characters per line in Chrome and Safari in OS X. Zooming doesn't change the characters per line for me, it just makes the characters larger. My browser is usually a bit wider than this, but it still seems to read ok by my eyes.

Crank the font size up.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 12.51.04 PM.png

vs.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 12.49.37 PM.png

In Safari you can choose a minimum font size:

Preferences > Advanced > Never use fonts smaller that XX

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

Zooming doesn't change the characters per line for me, it just makes the characters larger.

Find out what command in your browser that activates word wrap *within* the window (properly called a table) containing each block of text. For Firefox on MacOS, you use the View menu, select Zoom, then check the "Zoom Text Only" box. I can get my text down to <5 characters per line if I want with no change in the width of the text window.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.