IGNORED

This pocket size PC has a lot of audiophile potential...(Ithink)

najibs

I just found this on Indiegogo

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ockel-sirius-b-the-powerful-windows-10-pocket-pc#/

It's basically an iPhone 6 sized Windows 10 computer that fits in your pocket.

It has:

Windows 10

2x USB 2.0 ports

HDMI

Wifi, and t

2GB built in RAM (is it upgradeable though???)

Micro SD slot

wifi

All for under $200 on Indiegogo

100% silent fan free design

There's also a version with no OS pre-installed.

Small, fanless, full connectivity...It's caught my attention, as right now I use a 2011 Mac Mini.

Discuss...

oqx6ulldd5uymed0zss5.jpg

deomd0knuvucqopbp3ru.jpg

f9uekzma2r2kbyjboumg.jpg

biefpteqtoxeem2kbuks.jpg

The $99 phone-sized Kangaroo Windows 10 PC could be the perfect travel companion | ExtremeTech

Here is another version for $99. I have seen talk of release of similar sized machines by a couple other companies. I would imagine this market segment will expand during the upcoming year.

I don't share the fear of using USB for audio some seem to have developed. So yes, this looks like a great form factor for audio.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The 2gig of RAM seems a bit miserly. First thing I would do is install Xubuntu.

I agree - almost anything to avoid Windows 10 (or Win 8 or any other version of Windows - Yeccchhh!). Of course it would be really nice if somebody could figure out how to install El Capitan on one of these things, but I won't hold my breath!

George

I agree - almost anything to avoid Windows 10 (or Win 8 or any other version of Windows - Yeccchhh!). Of course it would be really nice if somebody could figure out how to install El Capitan on one of these things, but I won't hold my breath!

It would NEED more RAM for that.

No electron left behind.

It would NEED more RAM for that.

Almost assuredly. It would run with 2 gigs, but not very well. I'm amazed that it can run Windows with that little RAM, given the resource hog that Windows has always been.

I once bought a little "palmtop" computer (sort of a tiny laptop) that sported an Intel Atom processor and only 1 gig of RAM - non-expandable. I didn' realize that when I ordered it, or I probably wouldn't have. It was useless. I couldn't really do anything with it! I ended up sending it back for a refund. A shame because it was light and cute and otherwise perfect for travel. Since then I have been very wary of small computers like this.

George

Almost assuredly. It would run with 2 gigs, but not very well. I'm amazed that it can run Windows with that little RAM, given the resource hog that Windows has always been.

I once bought a little "palmtop" computer (sort of a tiny laptop) that sported an Intel Atom processor and only 1 gig of RAM - non-expandable. I didn' realize that when I ordered it, or I probably wouldn't have. It was useless. I couldn't really do anything with it! I ended up sending it back for a refund. A shame because it was light and cute and otherwise perfect for travel. Since then I have been very wary of small computers like this.

Maybe you haven't used more recent Windows then. I am no MS fanboy quite the reverse. However, 8.1 was much more resource efficient and 10 improves on 8.1 in that respect. Equipment that choked a bit on Win 7 will run 10 comfortably. These small PC devices with an SSD will likely run on 2 gig pretty okay. I do wish they would offer them with 4 gig and then you have no worries at all. I imagine they are not in an effort to preserve market share for larger machines.

Until it was broken I was running an older netbook that came with Win7 starter using Win 8. With one gig no less. It wasn't stellar and could frustrate if you tried too many things at once. Bump it up to 2 gig and it was pretty decent. These newer machines are more powerful than the old Atom based netbook. So for a single task like audio playback and even video they will be up to the task.

Of course I likely would use them to take the path offered by wgscott. Some linux, maybe UbuntuStudio would get installed. Currently however being much more efficient isn't really the reason. I just like linux better.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

An "eternal" battery huh? Is that anything like perpetual motion?

Extra long life at least, I would think.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Yes, running the exact same software I have better SQ with my intel dn2800mt.

The d2800mt is the caps v3 board. Runs great with 4g ram, win10, and jriver!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Jcn3 can you please provide a URL from where you bought it?

I would make my own (card board) case if it saves enough cash.

My advice would be to spend the cash on a case. I had one but gave it to my son and have not bothered yet to buy another, but I intend to do so. Aside for some protection some cases can offer (including for EMI) you have basic wiring to at least turn the board on and off with a nice pushbutton...

Sooner or later you will probably regret not getting one !