IGNORED

Ayre Codex

I love my Codex, but am now looking enviously at all this MQA content coming out on Tidal.

In an ideal world, Ayre would roll out a firmware upgrade soon, that would make the Codex an MQA DAC.

In the real world, the chances of that seem slim. Still, I've sent Alex B. of Ayre a question about this. If they have no plans, I guess the search will begin for an MQA DAC of equal or better quality.

Has anyone compared the Codex to the Mytek Brooklyn?

I wouldn't be envious yet. Still a debate about whether MQA sounds better than regular hi-res - not all agree that it does. In addition the amount of material is still small, and little available outside of Tidal.

If MQA becomes at all significant ( a few thousand titles available for purchase), I bet Ayre will make an upgrade available.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Cygnusx said:

I'm on r1.3 as well.  I know that there are some r1.2 out there.  I'm not sure, if the newer Codex DAC has a newer firmware version update.  I'm running fully balance now playing through an Ayre AX5/20 amp and Vandersteen Treo CT speakers...all AQ cables.   After upgrading my system, I noticed that the high end and low end didn't sound right so on the advice of my audio dealer, I replaced the Pangea power cable I have been using for over a year with the stock power cable and the DAC came back alive.  It may have been because my new amp/speakers are much transparent and revealing than my old system.  In any case, if you've changed your equipment, I suggest you go back to using the stock cable every so often.  I'm no longer a believer in power cable upgrades.  I sold all my all cables and is using the stock across the board.   Very happy with the sound.  I would rather have cleaner power into my house.  

Great post. Early on, I replaced the power cord to my Codex with a Shunyata--and the sound took a nose dive. Switched back to the stock cord (I had a conversation with Ayre; they said the stock cord was chosen with care and that they did not recommend replacing it).

This makes the Codex even more of a value, since no power cord upgrade is necessary.

Never thought about the firmware--do I need to update it? 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, devotionaltom said:

Does anyone have a picture of the power cable that came with the Codex?  I've mixed my power cords and can't figure out which one is the one that came with it.

Thanks

I still had mine in the box. I attempted to take a couple of pictures that show the markings.

Hope it helps.

IMG_0600.thumb.JPG.c5168fe01cfc908c28e59d9b498d3781.JPG

IMG_0601.thumb.JPG.3bbf5fc2ec2c72384c833ecaeb3b0a16.JPG

5 hours ago, latitude94941 said:

The connector is stamped "Volex."

This is a recognized product.  The Volex cords are very high quality. The design is generic but the materials and construction are first rate.

Not surprising that Ayre uses these. No nonsense engineering.

I have a few, the 14 ga for amplifiers and 16 for sources. Use shielded models for digital. 

For some reason I thought the name and place of manufacture had changed. 

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer.