IGNORED

Low performance PC VS. High performance PC + BIOS Mod (Paul Pang concept) What do you think?

I am into computer audio for quit some time now, and was able to improve the SQ tremendously with the help of optimized software (JPlay, AO) and modified parts like the ones from PPA. I started out with a normal pc and now have a dual streamer setup with all these mods. When you use a decent DAC and DDC you can reach the level of high-end disc players. I am totally happy with the performance/money spend ratio but it is a little difficult for me to determine that for an other person.

I agree with Iago, put atleast 2/3 of your budget in a DAC. If your streamer setup is cutting edge but you use "a shitty dac" you won't be able to hear the benefits of these modified components.

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

[1] Essentially, I use a tool to measure and display the interval between the time a process is scheduled for execution and the time it actually starts. The output gives an overview of scheduling latency & jitter.

Do you want to share your findings? Could be the start of a nice "sticky" with the mobo performance of various models perhaps?

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521