IGNORED

My Must-have Mozart Albums

<...> Muti's cast (the BPO, the Swedish Radio Chorus, Waltraud Meier, James Morris) have capabilities that far exceed their HIP competitors.
These words brought me to a question. Do I want capabilities which exceed, or, if put it other wisely, am I looking for a winner in capabilities contest, or I want just "right" performance, even better if it was rather austere? I think I vote for "less is more" here.
Thanks for sharing.

I'm positively impressed that she gets the German pronunciation pretty well done, this is not always the case for French singers.

Probalby I'm going to purchase this album. Lovely singing and musical story. Nice liner notes and very good high resolution sound. Spacious and warmly recorded. And you?

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Probalby I'm going to purchase this album. Lovely singing and musical story. Nice liner notes and very good high resolution sound. Spacious and warmly recorded. And you?

Seems to have gotten a favorable review in the November Gramophone, however I can only find the CD. Where did you find the high resolution version?

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Seems to have gotten a favorable review in the November Gramophone, however I can only find the CD. Where did you find the high resolution version?

Qobuz and Highresaudio.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Qobuz and Highresaudio.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Qobuz is no good to me in the US and I can't get the other site to work at all. I guess I will just have to wait.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Mozart - The Weber Sisters

Sabine Devieilhe - Raphaël Pichon - Ensemble Pygmalion

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21816[/ATTACH]

You can pre-order it on Qobuz now. I have her Rameau album which is very good. This one at least from the web sound pretty nice.

Has anyone purchased this one yet? Opinions? It received positive reviews in Gramophone and on Sinfinimusic.com. In the US, I am still unable to download HiRes version and CD prices are ridiculously high, around $20 with shipping! Who said that CD prices were dirt cheap these days?

Has anyone purchased this one yet? Opinions? It received positive reviews in Gramophone and on Sinfinimusic.com. In the US, I am still unable to download HiRes version and CD prices are ridiculously high, around $20 with shipping! Who said that CD prices were dirt cheap these days?

I've now been streaming it several times on Qobuz. It is very well played and even better sung, all reviews so far are giving a lot of praise.

The reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet is the rather random mix of tracks, while there is a hypothetical story about the sisters, I didn't find this particular mix compelling enough to buy. That said I don't think anybody would regret the purchase.

I am trying to stay away from insisting on anything even to myself and, I am listening to Mozart's music almost everyday, sometimes for several hours or more, nevertheless, some of comparatively recent discoveries stand out among many other recordings.

Piano concertos: David Greilsammer - several Piano concertos albums, including one with early pieces, one with 9th and other with 22 and 24. 9th Piano Concerto by Alexandre Tharaud is beautiful (from another recent topic - Tharaud's Goldbergs are very unique and most dazzling). If you accept archive recordings, Lili Kraus had wonderful Piano Concertos albums as well. Double Piano Concertos album from Arthus and Lucas Jussen is my recent favorite. Just love Concertos by Ronald Brautigam.

Album of piano music from Zhu Xiao-Mei is fascinating (as her Bach and Scarlatti too).

Requiem by Masao Suzuki on BIS.

To some well-respected and loved by many recordings of Mozart's operas I am willing to add recent recordings of Don Giovanni, Cosi fan tutte and Die Entführung aus dem Serail conducted by Yannick Nezet-Seguin. Also, Die Zauberflöte conducted by William Christie.

That is a whole lot to checkout, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Mozart - The Weber Sisters

Sabine Devieilhe - Raphaël Pichon - Ensemble Pygmalion

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21816[/ATTACH]

You can pre-order it on Qobuz now. I have her Rameau album which is very good. This one at least from the web sound pretty nice.

I finally got around to reviewing it: There Must Be An Angel: Mozart – The Weber Sisters | musicophilesblog – From Keith Jarrett to Johannes Brahms

I agree, this is a well conceived album and Sabine has an amazing voice. I found it thoroughly enjoyable, one of my best of the year. Thanks to mkrzych for first highlighting this new release. Glad I did not miss it.

I agree, this is a well conceived album and Sabine has an amazing voice. I found it thoroughly enjoyable, one of my best of the year. Thanks to mkrzych for first highlighting this new release. Glad I did not miss it.

No problem, enjoy! It's been spinning quite a lot on my side.

--

Krzysztof Maj