IGNORED

High Resolution Audio Pricing in 1956

I sometimes complain when I pay $18+ for a high resolution album via download but I recently stumbled upon a 1956 tape recording (RCA) that would have likely been the top of the mountain in terms of resolution at release time.

The tape's three tracks only combine for about 27 minutes of music so, even if we cut the price by 50% to $5.48, it still leaves us with an inflation adjusted 2014 price of $47.08 which would be prohibitively expensive unless one can afford DSD? Or, is the current pricing inline with the 1956 prices?

rca_ccs-12.jpg

Great food for thought. But if a 27 minute tape was the standard high-end music offering at the time (was it?) shouldn't we use the full inflation adjusted price of $94.16 per album (instead of cutting it in half) as representative of how a high-end album in 1956 compares to today's high-end offering (even though the music plays longer today) in terms of price? Today seems a much better bargain price-wise.

Great food for thought. But if a 27 minute tape was the standard high-end music offering at the time (was it?) shouldn't we use the full inflation adjusted price of $94.16 per album (instead of cutting it in half) as representative of how a high-end album in 1956 compares to today's high-end offering (even though the music plays longer today) in terms of price? Today seems a much better bargain price-wise.

you make a good point and I was on the fence about treating the 27 tape as a complete album.

I sometimes complain when I pay $18+ for a high resolution album via download but I recently stumbled upon a 1956 tape recording (RCA) that would have likely been the top of the mountain in terms of resolution at release time.

Depends on where you buy your downloads. HDTracks is selling Stereo DSD Downloads for $17.99 - before that 15% discount (or $15.29) - starting today. :)

Homepage | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Bingo! Not to mention that with the tape someone had to actually make it. Making a tape is a more involved/time consuming process than pressing a record.

Pay close attention: It is not just stereophonic, it is orthophonic.

Just try to find a good orthophonic recording today for under a $100.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz