IGNORED

hi-fi in your head

status quo  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Makes me smile :) Only few months back, a friend and his better half came over to listen to some of their favourite music. The usual comments " it's like having a live band in your lounge", "this sounds incredible".....few months later he proudly proclaims - he attended a regional hi-fi show, and just splashed out on a new Bose system for his stereo.....:)

Not knocking Bose in any way......of course

Yea but he got the Magic Wave Guide tech that gives SOTA speaker sound from that little plastic port. To each their own.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

LOL.

some days seem to be made for a ride or a couple of drinks.

other days require both.

(looks good, though)

Well the Woo Audio's twin finally turned up yesterday, 24 hours later!! The power supply now installed, tubes cleaned, dampers in place, all warmed up and ready to play:) Woo recommending 150 hours burn in, but holy-cow!! This amp is bloody awesome fresh out the gate - speed - it's so fast, soundstage depth - eery at times - keep thinking someone is in the room with me, detail resolution - is phenomenal - like you can walk around inside the music and examine the individual notes in their individual musical space. So utterly effortless to listen to.....hopefully provide more insightful impressions at a later time:)

image.jpg

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

• 2 weeks later...
please do ;)

Ooh nothing beats the warm glow of tubes and the anticipation......the Woo amp is currently about a third of the way through burning in and whilst I was resisting any tube rolling....I just could not resist trying a new set of Princess Mesh rectifiers....think, if Im not careful I may have to start a savings pot for every time I listen on headphones now?

DSC01991.jpg

but don't you wonder what a $500K hi-fi system would sound like? ;)

Lived in Chicago most of my life, heard ultimate SOTA systems at Paul Heath Audio, the other place right across the street (can't remember the name), Audio Consultants, the downtown hotel HiFi shows, etc, many, many times

They sound tremendous

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Ooh nothing beats the warm glow of tubes and the anticipation......the Woo amp is currently about a third of the way through burning in and whilst I was resisting any tube rolling....I just could not resist trying a new set of Princess Mesh rectifiers....think, if Im not careful I may have to start a savings pot for every time I listen on headphones now?

yes. there’s something. about staring at glowing tubes. that just warms the old cockles.

so, do we take it that you are enjoying ‘euphonic colourations’ with a big, fat smirk on your face?

and, in for a (pretty) penny, in for a pound = just do it... roll them tubes ?

yes. there’s something. about staring at glowing tubes. that just warms the old cockles.

so, do we take it that you are enjoying ‘euphonic colourations’ with a big, fat smirk on your face?

and, in for a (pretty) penny, in for a pound = just do it... roll them tubes

enjoying would be an understatement.....there are subtle changes, over time which bring an enormous smile to my face listening to music which I had not heard presented this way before. A remarkable point, and this is probably a combination of both the headphones and the amp; is the sheer dimensional space when listening to acoustic and vocal tracks. The intimacy of the music, close your eyes and you feel you are right there with the performers. Have also ordered, on recommendation from Jack Woo, to try a set of Siemens C3G nos drivers - a replacement for the stock 6SN7 Sylvania tubes...just leaves me to ponder the which 300B tube to settle on. I am liking what I hear with the Sophia Princess rectifiers, so may stick with Sophia?

enjoying would be an understatement.... Have also ordered, on recommendation from Jack Woo, to try a set of Siemens C3G nos drivers - a replacement for the stock 6SN7 Sylvania tubes...just leaves me to ponder the which 300B tube to settle on. I am liking what I hear with the Sophia Princess rectifiers, so may stick with Sophia?

ah, the allure of tubes = warm, glowy…

and the option to buy them, roll them and light them up.

that brings out that dr. emmett persona.

old-world interactivity + analogue eq/dsp for head-fi/hi-fi.

PhotoLloydChristopherBackToTheFuture1985_2.gif

good to know it is turning you on ;)

anyone else indulging?

yes, great systems. the kind that if one has to ask....

and, you are right. the sound signature of a high-end system = righteous.

so, what are some of the best-sounding headgear systems that have tickled your ears to date?

I no longer have the easy access to high end components that I had in Chicago so my HD 650s are the best thing I've heard. In my golden years now I no longer have the driving desire to travel 100 miles or more just to audition things I can't afford. LOL

I no longer have the easy access to high end components that I had in Chicago so my HD 650s are the best thing I've heard. In my golden years now I no longer have the driving desire to travel 100 miles or more just to audition things I can't afford. LOL

hd650s are pretty dang good.

but, should you ever wonder, and wander out of the yard again ;), pay a (free) listen to:

a76ba839685b9f0520ab21208b315bb0_8049.jpg

…and if you like, just fork over 249.99 ;)

hd650s are pretty dang good.

but, should you ever wonder, and wander out of the yard again ;), pay a (free) listen to:

…and if you like, just fork over 249.99 ;)

Yes I've heard some very good things about the HP50s

• 1 month later...