IGNORED

hi-fi in your head

status quo  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as do we all ;) and hopefully, as often as possible.

just gave it a shot. not really sure got all of them right. and if one did, sure sign of gear-geekery, symptomatic of spending way too much time drooling.

on another note, could you comment on how your AKGs sound off the iPhone? know someone who has an iPhone, who likes good sound but who does not (yet) believe in a portable DAC/amps...

AKG K3003 sounds great just from my iPhone 5 or iPad 4th Gen (just use this setup on my exercise bike for a few hours per week).

I really just wanted something simple as moving legs / cable's / expensive gear ... may not be a good mix, and end up with a grown man crying over broken toys. So just kept it simple with K3003/iPhone.

Build quality of the K3003 is impressive & they are very comfortable for IEMs.

A few years ago I bought Shure 535 for my GF, in comparison I feel that the K3003 is more neutral (Shure 535 is warmer) and detailed. I think the K3003 is a step up.

K3003 is not power hungry (just use about 50% volume on my iPhone 5 and that is loud enough).

For a test, I plugged the K3003 into my desktop headphone rig and they really scale up with better source/DAC/Amp, but I am happy enough just with the iPhone or iPad for their intended purpose (while on my exercise bike). No regrets on the purchase of the K3003.

Speaker : iPhone 6S Plus > UpTone Audio USB Regen (x2) > Benchmark DAC1 Pre > Pass Labs INT-30A > Focal Micro Utopia BE

Headphone : Auralic Aries > Auralic Gemini 2000 > Audeze LCD-X

Power & Tweaks : Heaps of Balanced & Isolation Power supplies, Dedicated Line, Vinnie Rossi MINI PURE-DC-4EVR, HD-Plex LPSU, iFi Audio DC iPurifiers, DIY Resonance/Vibration platforms using Townshend Audio Seismic Isolation Pods

Head-fi, so often... MacGyver-ish :

Grado rs2i, Ibasso d3 og sansa clip..

25317_367556494742_1428654_n.jpg?oh=9aea7b2ca040ed925623437ff2453928&oe=5688306E

And, worth another mention for the bass-inclined, PJB H-850 :

pjb-h-805-headphones.jpg?w=640

Hello Will' date='

We shared the same tooling for the mold but that is where it ends. The inside transducer is NOT the same as the Edifier.

It has to be far higher quality to with stand the punishing abuse from the signal of a bass guitar and still sound transparent.

I am Chief of Acoustic Design at Edifier and almost every product they produce I am involved in the sound (with exceptions of the low cost products).

Edifier is a partner in PJB so that is why you may consider they were possibly the same unit, but they are absolutely not!

Best regards

Phil Jones

www.pjbworld.com

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

AKG K3003 sounds great just from my iPhone 5 or iPad 4th Gen...

For a test, I plugged the K3003 into my desktop headphone rig and they really scale up with better source/DAC/Amp, but I am happy enough just with the iPhone or iPad for their intended purpose (while on my exercise bike). No regrets on the purchase of the K3003.

thanks, will encourage her to check it out… and, maybe, drop a little deeper into rabbit hole.

why is it that when 'promoting' better hi-fi/head-fi,

one sometimes feels like a scoundrel?

Ah, somewhat more Murdoc-ish, here's a much better example of what I meant :

For years I have watched as people have posted awesome portable rigs on Head-Fi. So now I present to you: The portable rig to end all portable rigs. 3 DAPs, half a terabyte of storage, and enough cabling to give a TSA officer convulsions. Power is there for everything from ultra-sensitive IEMs through to power-hungry planars, even all at the same time! I still need to find some good rubber bands though, as all the ones I had wouldn't fit.

10426563_10152314981141631_683834079126417719_n.jpg?oh=4594b7632e4b81b0b9bd7c14ab0574e4&oe=56CE72CB&__gda__=1455158848_1408d7bb7197e28c0b77c0c9d2518371

10628079_10152314981136631_8088953342787768491_n.jpg?oh=31c09d353897df3a8c76d4c1dfa79a97&oe=56AD0D3A&__gda__=1454734846_9697d06b6feb7fdd77d42759b2d2d4e0

16726_10152314981131631_6164360466639953967_n.jpg?oh=8dbe973502cc9e2f846c3bc182838e33&oe=56CAC4CB&__gda__=1455724217_ccd65a3b72bbde76a01b4a01a394cf4a

I'll return to the question Christmas soon :)

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

@livelistenlearn....keep us posted with the outcome and let us know what Santa brings you this christmas -

I have IEM's but prefer not to use them too often, as they tend to set off my tinitus...

Have you considered the Audioquest Nighthawks?

NH-DF-MBP-6-8.jpg

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

@livelistenlearn....keep us posted with the outcome and let us know what Santa brings you this christmas -

I have IEM's but prefer not to use them too often, as they tend to set off my tinitus...

Have you considered the Audioquest Nighthawks?

;) cool. been good this year? is santa getting you some headgear?

listening more via roxannes + tg f111s these days. easier to pack/carry... but who knows, the he1000s and ethers may well change mind/habits.

nighthawks: you have a pair? comments?

;) cool. been good this year? is santa getting you some headgear?

listening more via roxannes + tg f111s these days. easier to pack/carry... but who knows, the he1000s and ethers may well change mind/habits.

nighthawks: you have a pair? comments?

Well headgear went from Grado RS1 to HE 560's, culminating in HE 1000's a couple of months back....fortunately, the 560's found a good home as my better-half's headphone of choice. Santa has been thinking well ahead, and has promised me a Woo Audio WA5 LE....being delivered next week.....Christmas has come early!

The NightHawks, I haven't heard them personally, but I have heard very favourable comments from various people. I think they have a certain sound signature that will create love/hate opinions. - the background to how they were designed/manufactured is quite an interesting read on the Audioquest Night Hawk micro-site

Santa has been thinking well ahead, and has promised me a Woo Audio WA5 LE....being delivered next week.....Christmas has come early!

Oliver-Mai-1.jpg

holy smoking-king-mackerels... talk about expectation-bias.

do share some insights after thanking santa suitably. try a whiskey, as cookies and milk are not likely to cut it ;)

Audioquest Night Hawk micro-site

thanks, will look it up.

Thanks for the links, very interesting reading. The article it sort of mirrors my own (unknown at the time) reasoning for buying the HE 1000's in the first place. The HiFimans for me, are the first headphones I have heard in many years that really do any justice and match the sonics with my own listening experience using my current speaker setup.

My speaker set up consists of active Linn speakers, JL Audio Fathom F112 in stereo configuration, and a Trinnov Amethyst does the duties of active crossover, and really astonishing room correction. Go figure....?

Thanks for the links, very interesting reading. The article it sort of mirrors my own (unknown at the time) reasoning for buying the HE 1000's in the first place. The HiFimans for me, are the first headphones I have heard in many years that really do any justice and match the sonics with my own listening experience using my current speaker setup

welcome.

as/when tinnitus gets better, audition the jha laylas and/or fitear 334s. with spinfits or jvc spiral tips ;)

welcome.

as/when tinnitus gets better, audition the jha laylas and/or fitear 334s. with spinfits or jvc spiral tips ;)

I will do, those Layla's seem like the business. I must admit the spinfits sound like a really clever idea for IEM's. I have a pair of Shure 535 which I use occasionally in the office, I might try them again with a set of spinfits. Can you use the spinfits with any IEM?.

 just when one was 'sure' of what santa would be stuffing in a stocking:

KSE1500 Electrostatic Earphone System | Shure Americas

head-fi TV:

Damn you ;) ... Something else to keep eyes and ears out for. The review certainly wets the appetite!

Well one half of the Woo arrived today :) ..Amp, no power supply :( ...FedEx don't you just love 'em

image.jpg

Modern can's gave me the ability to have the sound quality of $10k+ speakers for around 10% or less of that money. Except for imaging, can's just don't image as we're used to listening for.

I think the future will belong to cans, it does now for that matter. Only a tiny number of the younger generation sits in from of a pair of speakers listening in the way we do.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Modern can's gave me the ability to have the sound quality of $10k+ speakers for around 10% or less of that money. Except for imaging, can's just don't image as we're used to listening for.

I think the future will belong to cans, it does now for that matter. Only a tiny number of the younger generation sits in from of a pair of speakers listening in the way we do.

Sal1950....I agree with you there, a sign of modern times indeed...if only they ( the younger generation) realised what they are missing from a well set up and balanced pair of speakers. The 'cans' for me are simply an extension of my music listening experience, by not disturbing rest of the household late at night, luckily no neighbours to disturb....the end point still remains a speaker rig every time though for my tastes

Sal1950....I agree with you there, a sign of modern times indeed...if only they ( the younger generation) realised what they are missing from a well set up and balanced pair of speakers. The 'cans' for me are simply an extension of my music listening experience, by not disturbing rest of the household late at night, luckily no neighbours to disturb....the end point still remains a speaker rig every time though for my tastes

Yea but something about that is what made us audiophiles. After a place to live and a car the next thing most of our generation bought was a good HiFi. BUT Over the years I've had many of those friends that came over and I'd sit them in the sweet spot and say "listen to this". I get the usual "WOW thats awesome, it's like the band is right there in front of me in the room"

I'd explain that a lot of it was proper speaker positioning and that their system could sound similar if they'd just follow some correct setup basics.

But next time I went by their place things would still be the same with one speaker over in a corner and the other next to a chair doubling as a end table. If asked I'd get the answer "oh the old lady didn't like them out in the middle of the room like that" or something to that effect.

Priorities I guess.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Yea but something about that is what made us audiophiles. After a place to live and a car the next thing most of our generation bought was a good HiFi. BUT Over the years I've had many of those friends that came over and I'd sit them in the sweet spot and say "listen to this". I get the usual "WOW thats awesome, it's like the band is right there in front of me in the room"

I'd explain that a lot of it was proper speaker positioning and that their system could sound similar if they'd just follow some correct setup basics.

But next time I went by their place things would still be the same with one speaker over in a corner and the other next to a chair doubling as a end table. If asked I'd get the answer "oh the old lady didn't like them out in the middle of the room like that" or something to that effect.

Priorities I guess.

Makes me smile :) Only few months back, a friend and his better half came over to listen to some of their favourite music. The usual comments " it's like having a live band in your lounge", "this sounds incredible".....few months later he proudly proclaims - he attended a regional hi-fi show, and just splashed out on a new Bose system for his stereo.....:)

Not knocking Bose in any way......of course

Pie in the sky ridiculous that only a tiny percentage of the population can afford.

But the same can be said for a Bugatti Veyron, but if I could afford the appx $2 million to own one you bet you behind I would.

The only real difference is the 1060s worth will be based on subjective reviews and how good Reviewer A's opinion on its sound quality is.

The Veyron performance is based on verifiable numbers. 1001 hp 1250 ft/lbs 254 mph and getting better all the time. TRUE Verified SOTA and really worth it's cost IF you can afford it.