IGNORED

TIDAL HIFI Subscribers' Club!

Does anyone find the 'Artist Radio' feature useful at all? How you do guys go about music discovery on Tidal?

As far as discovery, I use the "music" section here and other sites, read album reviews at Downbeat, Jazztimes, etc. In otherwords I don't use Tidal at all really (other than to type in an artist/album name). That's not to say I don't click on their "jazz" or "classical" genre once a month or so to see what is being highlighted - it's just not a usual source.

Actually, Tidal does help because often times I will find an album/artist of interest from the above sources and I will be playing it in Tidal, and notice that I like the horn player or the bassist - I will then click on the "album info" link and see that said horn player or bassist has their own recordings available on Tidal thus I suppose I am using Tidal as a discovery tool in those instances.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

• 2 weeks later...

I have all TIDAL versions through TIDAL 5 plus Amarra for TIDAL and ROON integration with TIDAL including HQPlayer.

ALL sound great I never had a problem with dropouts pops crackles etc.

I just downloaded a trial of Audirvana Plus 2 because of its integration with Qobuz HiFi.

Does TIDAL work with Audirvana and if so how do I know? I just quit my Qobuz integration am listening to ROON with TIDAL no HQPlayer just having the music passed to my Schiit (premultibit) USB Gungnir DAC, audirvana is still open is it affecting the SQ in anyway?

bobbmd

• 4 weeks later...

Tremendous thumbs-up for lossless Tidal streaming, with Roon. Use case: my son is a jazz saxophone student. To study approaches to improvisation, he searches for the name of a tune, and BAM -- a list of 200+ improvisations are available to study, integrated with the home server content. Amazing. I wish I had this when I was a kid.

No dropouts or other trouble. Ever.

Electronics: W4S DAC-2 DSD SE, W4S STP-SE, W4S mAMP; Cables: Wireworld Silver Eclipse; SW: Roon/Tidal, JRiver; Speakers: NHT 3.3

I just became a subscriber last week. I had a trial before but chose not to subscribe due to the weak content in the beginning. It's still not as good as Apple Music but the sound quality is much better. If only their music discovery was more robust it would be perfect. Is there anyway for us to share playlists? That could answer the audiophile search question above.

I just became a subscriber last week. I had a trial before but chose not to subscribe due to the weak content in the beginning. It's still not as good as Apple Music but the sound quality is much better. If only their music discovery was more robust it would be perfect. Is there anyway for us to share playlists? That could answer the audiophile search question above.

I didn't have much reason for Tidal until Roon came along. Roon make music discovery a spectacular thing on Tidal.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

I didn't have much reason for Tidal until Roon came along. Roon make music discovery a spectacular thing on Tidal.

I don't understand Roon. I'll have to investigate more.

In the meantime, will you do me the favor of explaining why "a spectacular thing"? I have Tidal, but don't use it much beyond auditioning suggested albums. I mostly use JRiver and JRemote for my collection sitting on my server.

JJ

JJinPDX

I don't understand Roon. I'll have to investigate more.

In the meantime, will you do me the favor of explaining why "a spectacular thing"?

Roon provides a number of different avenues for music discovery via Tidal; these are all integral with a user interface completely unlike that of any other playback software I've used. Because it's a new paradigm, it's hard to describe, but there are videos and screenshots here, or you can do the trial.

Another thing I really like about Roon is that once you add a Tidal album to your library, there's really no distinction between what's in your local-drive-based music collection and what's in Tidal's collection. One click and you've effectively just added an album to your collection, at no cost (as long as you keep paying your Tidal and Roon subscriptions and Tidal stays in business).

In terms of playback quality, if you belong to the "bitperfect" school, then Roon's just fine as is (and better than what I've been able to get out of the Tidal software). If, however, you choose to avail yourself of Roon/HQPlayer integration, you get, IMO, state-of-the-art sound quality. This, combined with the Roon UI/UX, makes it the greatest thing since sliced bread. I was a Tidal subscriber before Roon was released, but I was on the verge of canceling my Tidal subscription. Now, I'm pretty well addicted to being able to roam freely through the Tidal library, and the sound quality of a well recorded and mastered Tidal album played back via Roon/HQP is really stellar. In these instances, it's quite amazing to me that I'm listening to something being streamed over the Internet.

Finally, I've been buying and using far too much consumer and "pro" software since 1987, and the Roon developers are as smart, accessible, and responsive as any I've ever encountered. You can see this for yourself by dipping into the Roon forums.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

An email from Sonic Studio yesterday announcing Amarra for Tidal 2.0 prompted me to download trial versions of both (TIDAL HiFi edition). A couple of questions:

I'm disappointed with the sound quaility, which is nowhere near ripped CDs. Could I have missed something?

I find the process of locating and selecting albums rather frustrating. I can't see a way to do it through Amarra (Web or iOS remote) so I go into Tidal (Web or iOS), select genre, and do a search. There must be a better way ... ?

If you add music to your My Music in Tidal, it seems you have to have Amarra for Tidal re-scan Tidal to pick up your new additions. Is this correct?

Thanks.

Dan

Mac Mini 5,1 [i5, 2.3 GHz, 8GB, Mavericks] w/ Roon -> Ethernet -> TP Link fiber conversion segment -> microRendu w/ LPS-1 -> Schiit Yggdrasil

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone enjoying the updated app for iOS? I find the "suggested tracks" feature a good music discovery tool. The artists bios are interesting when availible although brief.

iMac > NAD C388 Integrated with BluOS module > Linn Keilidh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Yes I am. I never thought I would be. The best feature is the ability to try out new and OLD releases, and also to investigate all the wonderful music recommendations I read about. No regrets, been a subscriber for many months now and am very very pleased. FWIW I use it with Roon which has superb Tidal integration.

There is just so much music out there that I have either never heard or forgotten about, and no complaints in regards to sound quality. Has been worth every dollar to me.

+1 Sums up the benefits of Roon/Tidal perfectly. I should add that up sampling Tidal streams via HQP is awesome!