IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer - Windows 10 Beta Thread (BETA PHASE CLOSED!)

AudioPhil

Tons of helpful information.

Ted, why are you looking towards using Win 10?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

Thanks! How do I get a download of Win 10 Pro, since the Media Creation tool, plugged into my Win 7 Home Premium desktop (or even the WS2012 R1 machine), seems to be downloading me Win 10 Home (aka Win 10). Even if I unclick "use this pc for recommendation" (which was only available on the Win 7 machine, the WS2012 machine was incompatible if I use it as target) the other choice for editions is Windows 10 N.

Tons of helpful information.

Ted, why are you looking towards using Win 10?

First off, I wouldn't if I couldn't AO it. I can. :) Specifically....my WS2012 R1 machine will not run any version of Roon (roonserver, etc) and I want to try Roon-HQP integration. R2 will run it, if you install Essentials Media PAck stuff, but that's not available on R1 (this is covered in the Roon thread). I'm done banging my head. It feels good when I stop.

Thanks! How do I get a download of Win 10 Pro, since the Media Creation tool, plugged into my Win 7 Home Premium desktop (or even the WS2012 R1 machine), seems to be downloading me Win 10 Home (aka Win 10). Even if I unclick "use this pc for recommendation" (which was only available on the Win 7 machine, the WS2012 machine was incompatible if I use it as target) the other choice for editions is Windows 10 N.

Try purchasing Win10 Pro from the Microsoft online store:

Microsoft Store Official Site - Free Shipping, Free Returns

It looks like the Media Creation tool is intended for downloading the free Win10 upgrades, which can explain why only Win10 Home is offered when the tool is run on a PC running Win7 Home Premium. To get it to offer Win10 Pro as the upgrade, the system has to be running Win7 Professional or Ultimate or Win8.1 Pro. These constraints are imposed by Microsoft.

Hi all, very useful informations here ;-)

Just my small add ons :

1) If bucks aren't the issue, you may want to buy an official ESD licence for 10 pro from the platform of your trust and download the ISO-file from here

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

You may not need to registrate the version on first install, but you could also wait for the key to arrive.

2.) If bucks matter more and you have an old unused laptop at hand, get yourself an cheap win7pro ESD key (assuming you have an 7pro iso file at hand), and install it. Then you may follow this instruction

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/23354-clean-install-windows-10-directly-without-having-upgrade-first.html

for activating the Win10 pro copy on your Zuma. Did work like a charm with me and was less then 25 USD ::-)

Yes the Media Creation Tool only downloads Win 10 (home), not the pro, doesn't tell you that huh until you install. After an hour or so on the Microsoft site a few months ago now, it is clear that to download the pro iso is hidden to such a degree, it's easier to buy and download the ISO via a simple wizard.

There's always the torrents, provided the torrent is the same as the MS iso to add in your license key and not the hacked version.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Ted, Windows 10 Pro is only half the price to upgrade from within Windows Home.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Just read this article that is insightful to upgrading to Windows 10 Pro.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/key-turn-windows-10-home-223035721.html

Wow, you could update a home version of Windows 10 to Pro without any authorization as long as your not doing any updates. Perfect for optimization with Audio.

I just did the update, no downloads needed since I don't have any internet connection on my optimized Windows 10 Home partition. Changed it to Windows Pro for free with the key code given. What a gift.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Ted, Windows 10 Pro is only half the price to upgrade from within Windows Home.

It looks to be $99. After spending $109-119 on Windows Home how is that half price (total over $200)?

I'm now more back to thinking of installing Win 7 Pro, then upgrading. Question on this: can I simply install a bare bones Win 7 Pro (i.e spend absolutely no time installing apps, dac drivers, etc etc) simply to get the product key on that machine, then move forward with Win 10 Pro? Or will this produce a mess down the road? I can't imagine a Win 7 Pro minimal install could take me more than an hour, right? And is an "upgrade" path to Win 10 Pro as clean as doing a "clean" install (if that is even possible)?

Phil, I am so sorry for hijacking this thread.

It looks to be $99. After spending $109-119 on Windows Home how is that half price (total over $200)?

I'm now more back to thinking of installing Win 7 Pro, then upgrading. Question on this: can I simply install a bare bones Win 7 Pro (i.e spend absolutely no time installing apps, dac drivers, etc etc) simply to get the product key on that machine, then move forward with Win 10 Pro? Or will this produce a mess down the road? I can't imagine a Win 7 Pro minimal install could take me more than an hour, right? And is an "upgrade" path to Win 10 Pro as clean as doing a "clean" install (if that is even possible)?

Yes! See the steps I outlined in post #69 of this thread.

If you go for the upgrade approach, the OS edition you need to start with is Windows 7 Professional (or Ultimate) SP1. After installing this OS and getting it activated, you can skip downloading anything from Windows Update, download the Win10 Pro upgrade files using the MS Media Creation tool, then launch into the Win10 upgrade process.

There's no mess created, other than some additional disk space used, as after the Win10 upgrade, the original Win7 Windows folder is renamed to Windows.old, to allow the upgrade to be undone back to Win7 if you so choose. A month after the Win10 upgrade, the Windows.old folder will be automatically deleted.

Installing Win7 into an SSD should take no more than about 10 minutes. It is the downloading & installing of the dozens and dozens of security patches and updates from Windows Update that can take hours, but these can all be skipped on your way to Win10 Pro. Just get Win7 Pro SP1 properly activated after installation and proceed to Win10 upgrade.

Ted,

yes you can go that route as outlined in the article I posted before.

You copy the ID and transfer it to the win10 installation, go online and get your registration on your clean install.

Cheers Tom

First off, I wouldn't if I couldn't AO it. I can. :) Specifically....my WS2012 R1 machine will not run any version of Roon (roonserver, etc) and I want to try Roon-HQP integration. R2 will run it, if you install Essentials Media PAck stuff, but that's not available on R1 (this is covered in the Roon thread). I'm done banging my head. It feels good when I stop.

WS2012 R2 w/ AO runs Roon Server perfectly. You can save yourself some time and money if you give it a try. I used the advice from the Roon forum and had no problems getting it to work. Maybe give it a try before going the W10 route?

You're saying upgrade to R2? I think that is like $500, and will require a clean install, correct? I'm done with trials and rearms. If I am missing something please correct me; a simple R2 upgrade would be great, but everything I read it's not. Thx

I doubt there is an easy upgrade path from R1 to R2.

The only reason I am sticking with R2 is that I purchased 2 licenses a while back. In fact, I was impressed that I was able to transfer one license from one machine to another. Thanks to Phil for tips for that.

If I ever build another machine it will run Win 10.

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

I doubt there is an easy upgrade path from R1 to R2.

The only reason I am sticking with R2 is that I purchased 2 licenses a while back. In fact, I was impressed that I was able to transfer one license from one machine to another. Thanks to Phil for tips for that.

If I ever build another machine it will run Win 10.

I'm curious why people want to move from Server 2012 to Win 10.

I am in the process of building a new Server 2012 R2 server. As we speak, even. I used R2 on my laptop server without too much difficulty, with AO. Rearming is easy, and a re-install takes an hour or two with all other software. The idea of moving to Core mode, which Phil and others claim increases SQ, but I never did with my laptop, is a main reason I'm staying with Server.

Other than the re-arm/re-install issue, what is the main reason people drop Server for Win 10?

I'm curious why people want to move from Server 2012 to Win 10.

I am in the process of building a new Server 2012 R2 server. As we speak, even. I used R2 on my laptop server without too much difficulty, with AO. Rearming is easy, and a re-install takes an hour or two with all other software. The idea of moving to Core mode, which Phil and others claim increases SQ, but I never did with my laptop, is a main reason I'm staying with Server.

Other than the re-arm/re-install issue, what is the main reason people drop Server for Win 10?

Ummm..roonserver for me (and as I already said I do not rearm cuz I have an authorized OS).. I have documented it (overly so) in the last two pages. I specifically said I would not move otherwise. No reason to.

Hi

I just installed W10 pro on a separate partition next to WS R2

launched aAO 2.00 but it doesn't recognize the OS

any hint ?

what version (exactly) are you using? What do you see when you enter "wmic os get caption" in command prompt?

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

what version (exactly) are you using? What do you see when you enter "wmic os get caption" in command prompt?

Hi Phil,

Command prompt header says

Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.10586]

wmic os get caption returns

Microsoft Windows 10 Professionnel

This is a french version

Setup starts

C to continue

A to accept

Then "no compatible operating system found"