IGNORED

Ripping CDs, then Playing Music

Hi,

I am an admitted noob when it comes to music on computers. I understand computers pretty well, just not music on computers.

What I would like to do is rip/record my CD collection to a NAS unit or something like that, and then play it back through the Auxilliary input on my BOSE system. Not sure if the playback could or should go through something like a Squeezebox, Roku or other kind of streaming unit, of if I should/could build a dedicated computer for something like that. Any ideas is appreciated. Thank you!

I cannot really comment on the playback. However ripping your CDs is a lot of work. I have ripped my CDs using dB poweramp into uncompressed FLAC. But before you start ripping think about how many genres would you like to have. Think about meta data in general. Just ripping without a system leads to a mess.

[br]

unfortunately, there are literally thousands of different products out there to choose from. you'll have to do research based on your specific needs.

any of the options you listed are legitimate options. dedicated computers, sonos, a/v receivers, etc. should also be considered.

think about what your objectives are and don't forget to consider all of the various sources of music you utilize (streaming services, smartphones, vinyl,etc.).

you can read here, head-fi.org, avsforum.com. plenty of opinions out there, but ultimately you've got to do the leg work.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

Dedicated computer can be optimized for music and/or movies.

However dedicated computer demands time for chosing software and tuning.

Advantage: flex (for different - including new - audio formats) system.

As alternative possibly buy ready decission - streamer/music server.

Advantage: less efforts for tuning.

Sound quality depend on implementation both cases.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Hi,

I am an admitted noob when it comes to music on computers. I understand computers pretty well, just not music on computers.

What I would like to do is rip/record my CD collection to a NAS unit or something like that, and then play it back through the Auxilliary input on my BOSE system. Not sure if the playback could or should go through something like a Squeezebox, Roku or other kind of streaming unit, of if I should/could build a dedicated computer for something like that. Any ideas is appreciated. Thank you!

It's pretty simple really. A program called dBpoweramp dBpoweramp CD Ripper: CD Converter, Securely Ripping will rip your CDs to whatever you direct it too including a NAS drive that is on the same network.

Playback can be accomplished easily too with any number of products including Sonos which has a unit called a Connect which would hook right into an Aux input on your Bose. Wireless Stereo Components | Sonos

Playback is accomplished by an app on your phone or a tablet from any number of companies including Samsung, Apple, etc.

David