IGNORED

Asus Xonar Essence STX

wpauge

Hi everyone:

Chris about a month ago in a previous thread you mentioned that the Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard wasn't bit-perfect and that you were in the process of speaking to Asus regarding the problem. Have you had any luck resolving this issue?

And a second question to all of the Computer Audiophile readers: Has anyone had any experience with the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi soundcard with either the standard op-amps or any other audiophile op-amps installed?

Thanks in advance...Bill.

Hi Chris

Thanx for your speedy reply. That soundcard looks like a reasonally priced solution on paper, I hope it works properly in reality. I am awaiting Asus's answer before I buy. I listen to Red Book CDs ripped to wav exclusively on Foobar2000 and am holding off the purchase of both a DAC and soundcard until I receive their answer.

How about the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 HiFi card?

Thanx again...Bill.

• 2 months later...

Hi Bill and Chris

this was a card I considered for the above, my interest today is related to building the best media pc, how is your progress with Asus?

ps I love the sound of this card, hope there is a resolute outcome, the Asus M4A785G HTPC/RC motherboard looks interesting, any experience with this?, if so would this pass bit perfect data direct out the spdif from mobo?

thanks..

currently I have a P4 system, pulled apart to let it breath and experiment a bit, onboard sound (!!), cardas cables up to a NAD304 thru some custom in-walls I've created out of old Technics 3 ways, I use cplay, cmp and foobar for playback, and have also enjoyed a little internet radio (radio paradise, lot's of stream choices available!)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

I see Asus have released Beta version ASIO driver described as Bit Perfect:

Xonar Essence ST bit-perfect ASIO driver (beta) for Windows XP 32/64bit

1. Sample rate supported: 44.1 / 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 kHz

2. Supports one ASIO playback stream (maximum 8 channels) to analog output.

3. Supports one ASIO recording stream (2 channels) from analog input.

4. Recording source (microphone in or line in) is selected by system mixer.

5. To keep the ASIO stream bit-perfect, the following two rules apply:

(1) The ASIO stream has higher priority of using DMA buffer than other streams. That is, when the ASIO stream is played, other streams cannot be played.

(2) No volume control is available for the ASIO stream.

6. When there are more than two ASIO applications running, only one application gets the right to use the hardware resource. This is based on “first come, first service” rule.

7. Current buffer time is set at 10ms, will be adjustable in later version.

Disclaimer:

Please be noted that this is still test version and feedback in our support forum should you encountered any error during operation, we appreciate your assistance to make Xonar Essence ST/STX bit-perfect driver better.

ASUS Xonar support forum:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=21&SLanguage=en-us

here's the link:

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

how does it sound, puuuurrrfect??

• 4 months later...

if the case is empty, I reckon you should be able to just pop it straight in there. ;)

If you are planning on putting anything else in the case at the same time, (like, say, a motherboard), then I would doubt it very much! The Morex website has some nice piccies of the inside of a T1610, complete with motherboard. There's just about enough room left for a bit of dust. :)

I have both. You will notice from my sig that I use the sound card. :)

The only connection type I have not used is firewire. In my system fitting the Xonar EssenceST proved to be the last thing I did, bar switching back to iTunes. It made a huge difference to my enjoyment of a computer as source.

This is obviously not a review and whenever I have mentioned liking this card, in the past, my comments have been quickly followed up with recommendations for the Juli@ and the RME - so these cards may well be worth having a look at. What I can say, however, is that I have never been happier with my decision to try a sound card and the Asus has proved itself beyond reproach in my system.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered already, and would certainly appreciate being told where to go ... URL-wise.

I have the STX and as of late it has been outputting a sound signature that is best described as a cross between an echo chamber and a fishbowl. I have RCAs running directly from the sound card to a pair of AudioEngine 2s. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate, and my player is either JRMC or foobar2000. I have the output set to WASAPI event-style and have tried a variety of different sample and bit-rates, all without success. The driver and software are current, and all of the effects in the Xonar control panel are deactivated.

Any help would be appreciated.

I apologize if these questions have been asked/answered already, and would certainly appreciate being told where to go ... URL-wise.

I have the STX and as of late it has been outputting a sound signature that is best described as a cross between an echo chamber and a fishbowl. I have RCAs running directly from the sound card to a pair of AudioEngine 2s. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit

Ultimate, and my player is either JRMC or foobar2000. I have the output set to WASAPI event-style and have tried a variety of different sample and bit-rates, all without success. The driver and software are current, and all of the effects in the Xonar control panel are deactivated.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello tseipel;

The ASUS Xonar supports ASIO. Setup audio mode to ASIO, and audio output for the Asus Xonar card. Go over all you JR settings. Then Asus card is set for 24 bit/default latency, then s/pdif bypass/2 spks/pcm. All other choices should not be "checked".

Give that a try and let us know what happens...

Jim

PC (J River-Jplay) > USB > Mytek 192 - DSD > XLR > Adcom GFP-750 Pre > XLR > Emotiva XPA-5 > Snell C/V's (bi-amped) / Klipsch Sub <100 Hz