IGNORED

Good dacs with balanced outputs

I am seriously thinking about replacing my Benchmark HGC DAC 2 as its so buggy. Any recommendations? I am worried about losing performance

Thanks!

Could you please explain what the bugs are? I been primarily using my micro for DSD upsampling but I just ordered a balanced cable to try out the Mj2 with the balanced out of the benchmark. I will report back once I test it out...

fair enough

i wasnt referring to chord cables, i just meant the over charging for cheapish stuff without huge amounts of engineering, and thats where the trust bit comes in. I thought about buying the concept turntable the other day, until I looked at their stupid higher end products and lost faith in the whole company.

but I do also distrust over engineering in order to justify cost. Its so interesting to compare the inside of a Bryston DAC, to say, a DCS. THe DCS looks so full of "stuff" the Bryston barely at all...

As a side note, I dont understand how all these snake oil reviews can say a dcs is great, and a chord hugo is great. Apparently the thing that makes these big dacs great is all the isolation, different stages, whatever, then another companyt goes and squashes it all together in a tiny box and apparentlkyits amazing? There is so much weirdness out there in the end I dont trust any of them!

I think you should wait until the iFI iDSD Pro comes out in couple of months it will have a balanced output and I have great trust in iFI's products which have a lot of trickle down tech from the AMR's high end systems. So I'm waiting until then to sell my benchmark to fund the iDSD Pro. That's just my 2 cents...

I just fired up my Benchmark HGC after a long hiatus although I'm waiting on my balanced cable to come in it sounds very nice with analog "unbalanced" out to my Mjr2. I was actually surprised because I remembered the headphone amp of the benchmark too warm sounding less revealing which is why I left it and opted to try the Mj2. So I went in with low expectations but the pairing of the Benchmark HGC with the Mj2 its very nice and I'm sure it will be better yet once I go all balanced.