IGNORED

Good dacs with balanced outputs

i just meant the over charging for cheapish stuff without huge amounts of engineering, and thats where the trust bit comes in. I thought about buying the concept turntable the other day, until I looked at their stupid higher end products and lost faith in the whole company.

but I do also distrust over engineering in order to justify cost.

As a side note, I dont understand how all these snake oil reviews can say a dcs is great, and a chord hugo is great. !

You clearly have "trust" issues here...you seem to distrust an awful lot of things, might be worth identifying what you are prepared to trust and go from there.

A Chord Hugo is great as myself and countless other satisfied users will happily tell you. Don't understand the "snake oil" comments about Chord. The basic Hugo probably costs less than your current DAC. Their new Mojo is only £399 despite being UK made, I'd say Chord were undercharging and "over"engineering here, so judging by what you don't trust, you should love it.

Chord are a highly responsible and professional company with a proper "bricks and mortar" factory in the UK. I like the fact that I can return my 11 year old DAC64 to the same factory where it was built, for an overhaul. I like the fact they are then prepared to offer a guarantee on a 11 year old product and even for that guarantee to be transferred to a new owner. I'd say they were the epitome of a trustworthy company, in the market for the long term.

What's a concept turntable btw?

Not Zen, but possibly he/she's referring to Clearaudio's entry level turntable? clearaudio electronic GmbH - Concept, For open ears and eyes, Features, Award winning technology

Looks like a sensible TT choice to me. Generally I'm encouraged, rather than put off by companies that make expensive stuff as well as more "budget" options. When I buy the latter I hope for some VFM trickledown tech from the former.