IGNORED

Pryma by Sonus Faber 'Carbon Marsala' Stereo Headphone review

S/PDIF gives you access to higher resolution than USB I think, unless the new USB 3 is better. Just be careful you don't up-res any distortions or extraneous noises along with the music. I have a couple of AQ JitterBugs now, and they do help reduce that stuff sometimes (not always).

Hi Dale. I just read your review. Very nice and thorough. I am awaiting a Cavalli Carbon headphone amp to connect to my La Scala DAC. Are you seeing a trend here? Anyway I was looking at the Ethers but they cost another $1,000 so I may consider these. They are definitely good looking. The Cavalli has balanced inputs for the headphones so I have to do some research on what is available for headphone cables. Have never had quality headphones before.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

Hi Dale. I just read your review. Very nice and thorough. I am awaiting a Cavalli Carbon headphone amp to connect to my La Scala DAC. Are you seeing a trend here? Anyway I was looking at the Ethers but they cost another $1,000 so I may consider these. They are definitely good looking. The Cavalli has balanced inputs for the headphones so I have to do some research on what is available for headphone cables. Have never had quality headphones before.

Thanks - the Pryma has a more popular/mainstream sound signature out of the box, rather than a classic neutral sound like a Stax SR009 or Sennheiser HD800, or a signature like the bigger planars. The closest I can compare it to is the AudioQuest NightHawk, although I think the Pryma is better without access to an equalizer. If 'Ether' refers to the MrSpeakers headphone, I would expect it to have a sound closer to classic neutral than the Pryma, but my experience with other MrSpeakers planars tells me why I prefer the Pryma, despite the lower cost.

• 1 month later...