IGNORED

Pryma by Sonus Faber 'Carbon Marsala' Stereo Headphone review

Thanks. It's on its way :) To be used with the Mojo - I reckon this will be one heck of a combo.

I wish these forums had a 'like' button. More and more forums are getting those, which lets you know someone read your post without the readers having to clog up the thread like I'm doing. BTW, let everyone know about your experience when they arrive (after burn-in of course).

• 2 weeks later...

dalethorn;

Have you got specifications on the Pryma (e.g. impedance)?

I must say that I am not impressed with all the hype and no substance on what matters. I really wish WOM would provide some more info than pictures of jewellery. Maybe I am not the target customer here.....(?)

Post note:

Found it (finally):

image.png

dalethorn;

Have you got specifications on the Pryma (e.g. impedance)?

I must say that I am not impressed with all the hype and no substance on what matters. I really wish WOM would provide some more info than pictures of jewellery. Maybe I am not the target customer here.....(?) Post note: Found it (finally):

Well, to me the interesting thing about the Pryma is the unusual combination of sound quality with aesthetics. What's even more interesting and unusual is what I see as a total lack of concern on SF's part about marketing this Pryma to headphone groups.

Then the sound - there are such similarities to the AQ Nighthawk, in response as well as smoothness etc., that it makes me think they're made by the same people. I don't know if we'll ever learn more, because as I noted, they seem uninterested in audiophile headphone users.

dalethorn; I heard someone mention that the Nighthawk is dark sounding in the treble area. Based on the similarities between the Nighthawk and the Pryma - Is this also your impression? I am a cymbal-hooligan ;) so to me the treble is more important overall than the bass reproduction.

The Pryma's treble is down about 4-6 db from already dark, i.e. dark minus a few db. And it also has, like the Nightgawk, a significant emphasis above 100 hz. Without EQ, the Pryma wouldn't be good for hi-fi listening at home.

The Pryma's treble is down about 4-6 db from already dark, i.e. dark minus a few db. And it also has, like the Nightgawk, a significant emphasis above 100 hz. Without EQ, the Pryma wouldn't be good for hi-fi listening at home.

Thanks.

When you say EQ, do you mean eq'ing in the player (app) connected to the Mojo or do you mean that a high end 'source' should have some kind of eq built in?

I understand that the Pryma sound characteristics is a deliberate move?

Thanks.

When you say EQ, do you mean eq'ing in the player (app) connected to the Mojo or do you mean that a high end 'source' should have some kind of eq built in?

I understand that the Pryma sound characteristics is a deliberate move?

I've been in digital so long that I don't know if there's a viable analog EQ (i.e. following the DAC). Digital EQ's are usually in the music player, built-in or a plug-in. The advantage of the music player EQ (sometimes called a DSP) is the EQ is available no matter what devices follow the music player. The concern is that the music player equalizer may distort if the system's "preamp" is over-driven, or if the bit-depth were reduced just by enabling the EQ.

Thanks.When you say EQ, do you mean eq'ing in the player (app) connected to the Mojo or do you mean that a high end 'source' should have some kind of eq built in? I understand that the Pryma sound characteristics is a deliberate move?

I've encountered several headphones now that were allegedly designed to have a "breakthrough" sound character, with unusually low distortion, low phase or timing errors, etc. etc. But all of those have a recessed treble - very recessed in some cases. When I say recessed, start with a Sennheiser HD800 and reduce its treble 4 db or so, then recessed compared to that. Is that a coincidence? Probably not. But, based on best standards and existing gear and recordings, that recess is still going contrary to high fidelity.

Ok, so I reckon your verdict of the Pryma relates to 'eq'ed'-Pryma?

Yes. I can't find a hi-fi signature there, out-of-the-box as they say, but the Pryma EQ'd is a lot better than a Sennheiser HD600 or 650 not EQ'd, and why that is is probably due to the much newer design.

But look at it another way - every time I read where someone says "I want a headphone with a great soundstage, tight detailed but ample bass, a smooth non-bright treble, uncolored midrange, comfortable to wear, not over $1000, etc. - I go to the 150 headphones I've reviewed and what do I find? MrSpeakers Mad Dog is close, but that's $300-$350, and I don't see anything else from there to $1000 that meets those criteria, without EQ. And that doesn't even address portability. So with a little touch-up EQ (varies according to the system, the amping) the Pryma meets all of that including perfect portability, for $500. And it looks good.

That's fine :)

Since the Mojo doesn't contain any DSP, I have to rely on the player abilities in this respect.

Initially I will use the latest version of iPod with the CCK.

For my stationairy setup I intend to use the Rockna WD Net to feed the Mojo via S/PDIF: Wavedream NET | Rockna Audio

I will check with Rockna if I can install some 3rd. party DSP app.

I can use both Win7 and Linux OS in this player.

That's fine :) Since the Mojo doesn't contain any DSP, I have to rely on the player abilities in this respect. Initially I will use the latest version of iPod with the CCK. For my stationairy setup I intend to use the Rockna WD Net to feed the Mojo via S/PDIF: Wavedream NET | Rockna Audio I will check with Rockna if I can install some 3rd. party DSP app.

I can use both Win7 and Linux OS in this player.

S/PDIF gives you access to higher resolution than USB I think, unless the new USB 3 is better. Just be careful you don't up-res any distortions or extraneous noises along with the music. I have a couple of AQ JitterBugs now, and they do help reduce that stuff sometimes (not always).