IGNORED

The Official Atmos "Is it worth it for a ComputerAudiophile" thread....

Well???

Is it?

:)

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

LOL Thankyou

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Unless you have a perfect room, then I would say give it a try.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Unless you have a perfect room, then I would say give it a try.

Erm ... I think I misread ... I read you were asking if Dirac was worth it.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

If you are setting up a new theatre then go ahead and set atmos up. its not that much more expensive for a few extra speakers and atmos ready amp. more and more DVD's are coming out in atmos and its really awesome when done properly

I'm not sure that "done properly" is part of "not much more expensive".

Sure the Atmos ready amps are no more expensive than non-Atmos were a few years back, but you're going to want some reasonable speakers up there if you have good speakers for the other 7.

Eloise

---

The question was, worth it for audiophiles. The answer is "no."

For home theater, maybe, as more Atmos encoded content becomes available. The concept of object based audio in 3D space for movies is cool and everything for effects spinning around the room and bouncing off walls and ceilings.

Not sure what it adds to music. I suppose a pristine, expert engineered recording of a acoustically perfect concert space, especially maybe for symphony music, might be interesting, if your Atmos setup is tuned and room corrected perfectly to reproduce it.

But who in the music industry is producing such recordings? Even if they had the equipment and technology, which they don't, they would find a way to ruin it with compression and whatnot. And what acoustic space would they be trying to recreate? A booth in a recording studio? An arena? Ugh.

I heard some really nice classical music in atmos at the CEDIA Harman demo room here in Dallas last Friday. It was really nice. It didn't sound artificial at all. Almost all of the music was coming from the front, just like in real life and there was a very good soundstage as well. I would say that it's foolish to make an "audiophile" distinction without a difference here. I'm not a bluray MCH user, but I don't see why audiophiles shouldn't be interested in those formats as well. It seemed very natural when I heard it.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I have not heard Atmos yet. The closest theater with it is still 50+ miles away.

I am much more concerned about realistic music reproduction, though. My read of the literature so far favors the competing Auro 3d technology for music. It is complicated, but in simple terms Dolby and Atmos have roots in the movie business. Auro 3d was developed by folks at one of the largest music recording studios in Europe, although it has its movie applications, too. I know nothing about the new DTS entry into 3d sound, but that is movie oriented as well.

As with conventional multichannel audio, movies and home theater are where new sound formats have to succeed. Only after they have done so can there possibly be extension of that to recorded music, including the release of albums using the formats. (A handful are out in Auro.)

I cannot predict where all this will lead, which formats survive the competition, etc. At best, it will take a long time before there is much 3d audio music available, and it might not even get off the ground. It might just become a temporary blip like 3d video, virtually disappearing after the initial excitement wears off. Time will tell.

So, I am not investing in any of this for now.

The question was, worth it for audiophiles. The answer is "no."

The first BluRay Audio disc with Atmos has actually been announced...

Dolby reveals first Blu-ray Audio disc with Atmos | What Hi-Fi?

Eloise

---