IGNORED

Another day, another iTunes problem.

wgscott

Does Audirvana Plus actually allow you to move files around? I missed that completely. (Part of the confusion is the term library, which can be used in the context of database or actual music collection. AFAIK, Audirvana doesn't touch the actual filesystem

No A+ does not touch your files - at least I have never noticed this and I am pretty sure I would have given how I master my library (I rip/download/tag on my macpro in my home office, then I chronosync to my music mini, so I would have noticed a change that would have triggered files resyncs).

As for rearranging your files with a directory structure you like, JRMC can do this for you IIRC.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

So A+ won't move the files themselves (which I like); it will change what it displays to you depending on where you have moved the files, if you tell it you want that.

Like my Sony NW-ZX2's boot screen says: "For Music Lovers By Music Lovers"

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

One thing I wish Audirvana allowed was to apply different sort hierarchies to different playlists.

BTW does anyone know if there is a way to import smart playlists into Audirvana as smart playlists? There is a Dougscript that exports the information, but it does so in XML and apparently this is not recognized by Audirvana. I spent a lot of time curating iTunes smart playlists for classical music, and I hate to lose that.

One thing I wish Audirvana allowed was to apply different sort hierarchies to different playlists.

BTW does anyone know if there is a way to import smart playlists into Audirvana as smart playlists? There is a Dougscript that exports the information, but it does so in XML and apparently this is not recognized by Audirvana. I spent a lot of time curating iTunes smart playlists for classical music, and I hate to lose that.

I didn't know A+ would not allow that - hadn't spent much time with playlists, to be honest. I'd love for A+ to allow different sort hierarchies in library list view by genre, so I could have, e.g., the various versions of the Brandenburgs or Beethoven's 9th together while still sorting rock and jazz by artist/album.

Edit: Re your last question, have you asked Damien in the relevant forum thread?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I didn't know A+ would not allow that - hadn't spent much time with playlists, to be honest. I'd love for A+ to allow different sort hierarchies in library list view by genre, so I could have, e.g., the various versions of the Brandenburgs or Beethoven's 9th together while still sorting rock and jazz by artist/album.

You can do this with smart playlists.

Edit: Re your last question, have you asked Damien in the relevant forum thread?

No. I just thought I would ask here first in case I missed something trivial and obvious. Thanks.

I just cloned my iTunes filesystem (i.e., /Volumes/Media/iTunes/iTunes\ Media ) to a new hard drive. It is now called /Volumes/MediaSSD/iTunes/iTunes\ Media. Everything else is the same. I made the required change in the file path name, so iTunes finds all the music.

Now when I play something, iTunes will move a directory from /Volumes/MediaSSD/iTunes/iTunes\ Media/Music to /Volumes/MediaSSD/iTunes ). Without warning. Just out of spite. I've made sure file ownership, etc is all the same. Then to prevent the tracks themselves from being molested, I removed all write-permission. iTunes can no longer move the actual music files, but persists in copying the subdirectories. I now have this empty directory, for example.

/Volumes/MediaSSD/iTunes/iTunes Media/Beethoven_ Haitink/Symphony No. 6 (24_48)

I know I can prevent this by turning off "Keep iTunes Media folder organized", but it worked fine with it on until I cloned the disk.

I'm really getting to despise iTunes.

What you want to do is copy the XML library to the new drive and then edit the XML replacing the path to the old library with the new. Then create a new library in the SSD and import the XML

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

You can do this with smart playlists.

Yeah, actually knew that. I just like looking through all my music collected in one place in the library rather than having it divvied up into playlists. The only smart playlist I use is to make playback from a RAMdisk easier.

No. I just thought I would ask here first in case I missed something trivial and obvious. Thanks.

If trivial and obvious is what you're after, I'm your guy. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

+++++1!