IGNORED

Recommendations on USB Cable/Device Upgrade

Robd2

Loving the forum, great info all around which is really increasing my sound quality. Starting to plan out a dedicated computer build but for the time being need a USB cable upgrade. Right now running a stripped down laptop to the DAC in a McIntosh Integrated amp (5200). Any recommendations on USB Cable/Device upgrades? Budget is sort of “open” but not crazy high.

Loving the forum, great info all around which is really increasing my sound quality. Starting to plan out a dedicated computer build but for the time being need a USB cable upgrade. Right now running a stripped down laptop to the DAC in a McIntosh Integrated amp (5200). Any recommendations on USB Cable/Device upgrades? Budget is sort of “open” but not crazy high.

Oh, geez. One of the most bandied-about subjects in the history of this forum. Budget is open, eh? USB cables range in price from $25 to $9,000. However, for many of us, more than a couple hundred bucks for a cable would be crazy high.

My advice? Buy an UpTone Audio REGEN ($175). You can add a very good audio USB cable by Supra, AudioQuest, Kimber Kable, or Chord for $50-$100.

My advice? Buy an UpTone Audio REGEN ($175). You can add a very good audio USB cable by Supra, AudioQuest, Kimber Kable, or Chord for $50-$100.

Definitely agree about the UpTone Regen.

And you can buy one of those "very good audio USB cable" such as from Kimber Kable, AudioQuest, and Supra in near-new condition but at less than half-price here on the Computer Audiophile classifieds, where you might not have seen that I'm selling them.

Dave, who says this is a bit bold but has wondered about the lack of interest so perhaps that lack is just because people don't know

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Best value for money USB cables in middle category are : Paul Pang, Curious, Totaldac D1

Best uber USB cable: Stealth USB-T.

Stay away from any Kimber, Nordost.

Cheap good option: wireworld, ifI gemini.

Stay away from any Kimber, Nordost.

I heard both the Nordost Blue Heaven and Heimdall USB cables in my system. The Heimdall was excellent and well worth auditioning.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels

Audioquest is a good solid cable, but I much preferred the Mapleshade Clearlink Plus at $135 to the Audioquest Coffee at about double the price. I think the Regen is great, but I can't tell you how it would sound with a cheap cable versus the Mapleshade, for example, without the Regen.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical to EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> ISO Regen -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Buying cables is like playing the lottery, mostly you lose. The cable that sucked yesterday becomes a winner the next time you change gear

I've not experienced anything like this. I think the outcome might depend on the criteria up which the cables were selected.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels

Best I have heard so far was the PPA red usb cable, better then the Audioquest Diamond. Good quality/price ratio.

I have never heard the Stealth USB-T though.

Mobile: iPhone 6s 128Gb > Chord Hugo > Shure 846

Stereo: PPA dual streamer setup with JPlay and AO > Lampizator Golden Gate SE > Classe Omega Preamp MKII > 2xNord On UP NC500DM > Linkwitz LX521

PPA red is amazing cable.

Stealth USB-T is just better. But with PPA red you can be assured it's a top cable much better than much-advertised "well known" brands.......

Best I have heard so far was the PPA red usb cable, better then the Audioquest Diamond. Good quality/price ratio.

Does it come with pigtails?

try SOtM tX-USBhubEX instead of changing the USB cable, will perfectly fit your demand.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

• 2 months later...

+1 about PPA USB cable, especially the dual lead PPA USB. Never heard AQ Diamond or Stealth USB-T, but good to hear PPA USB better AQD.

WS2019 Core Datacenter, dualPC, JPLAY Femto, AO3, Fidelizer Pro 8.8, MC2XY, IOS app.

I tried a number of cables, and as you know there is alot out there. What I ended up with is a wireworld platinum eclipse. It does the job and not *too* expensive, I also like the theory behind the wireworld cables.

there may be others out there, yet this is what i chose:)

I started off with a Kimber CU and never really gave it much thought until I bought a Schiit Wyrd and started experimenting with USB cables. Between the moderately priced Kimber, Analysis Plus, Wire World, and Shunyata cables, I liked the Wire World Starlight 7 the best. It had a wide sound stage and crisp highs. For $100 it does a nice job.