IGNORED

Article: Fink & RCO - An Astounding Album & App Experience

Thank you for this. I've never heard of Fink before your article (Yes, I fall into stereotypical audiophile demo - middle aged white male) but this is good stuff. Most orchestral "cross-overs" I've listened to have been train wrecks. Nice to find an exception. Flac file purchased.

Digital System: Cybershaft 10MHz OCXO clock premium>Antelope Liveclock>RedNet D16>AES Cable>Mutec MC-3+ USB​>AES Cable>Schiit Yggy

The Live album "Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet" is one of the most mesmeric and well recorded albums I have heard in many years and is a particular favorite. Sit back...turn out the lights....and be carried away!!

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Listening on Tidal right now, and your right, this is something special. I have to admit I am not totally enamored with Fink's voice and style, but with the orchestral support it really does pop, and has a presence that grabs you. No doubt I will be downloading this from Ninja...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Thank you for this. I've never heard of Fink before your article (Yes, I fall into stereotypical audiophile demo - middle aged white male) but this is good stuff. Most orchestral "cross-overs" I've listened to have been train wrecks. Nice to find an exception. Flac file purchased.

I'm streaming on Tidal right now.

To buy it, I could only find it as CD or Wav 44.1Khz on Fink.

Is there any hi-res version available somewhere?

First listening re sample track, I, too, was taken with the assembly of group + orchestra. And downloaded the WAV 44.1/16 album from Ninja Tune. Similarly, as crenca describes, I feel the same way after a second listening to the first three tracks. I found the tracks repetitive stylistically, and, frankly, the first tracks sound like each other so that I moved on to other music that held my attention throughout the album tracks. I stopped listening after three tracks so I have not heard the remaining tracks. But music appreciation is subjective and I am merely expressing my experience rather than contradicting what others appreciate about Fink. Afterall, enjoying the music is paramount.

Best,

Richard

I honestly don't believe any of Fink 's albums will disappoint the listener.....but agree the "live" Perfect Darkness" and the RCO are my personal favourites. Now the track from Perfect Darkness - Trouble is What You're In....just sublime - lights off, volume up....way up if you can ?

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

Chris, thanks for highlighting this. I enjoyed the music and the recording from Tidal.

Ahmed

Reference -> WIIM Pro Plus powered by Larry's HDPlex-> CA DacMagic Plus -> AudioResearch DS225 Audioquest XLR -> Sonus Faber Olympica 2 Kimber Speaker Wire

Family Room -> ALOO DIGIONE -> SPDF-> Onkyo TX-NR609 -> 7.1 In Wall Polk Audio SVS Sub (Home Theatre)

Living Room-> BlueSound NODE Gen3-> Carver THX Amp -> NHT Zero + SVS SB-1000 (LivingRoom)

This quote alone makes me want to try out this recording, even though I nearly always hate pop/rock accompanied by a symphonic orchestra:

Fink’s drummer Tim Thornton puts the feeling you get hearing opener ‘Berlin Sunrise’ better than anyone. ‘Nothing will ever beat the first time the RCO kicked-in behind me, on that first rehearsal day. The best analogy I can come up with is this: imagine sitting in your car, pressing down the accelerator, and instead of the whirr and buzz of your ten-year-old Toyota Corolla, you get the sound and rumble of a Boeing 747 jet engine. That’s what it felt like for me.'
First listening re sample track, I, too, was taken with the assembly of group + orchestra. And downloaded the WAV 44.1/16 album from Ninja Tune. Similarly, as crenca describes, I feel the same way after a second listening to the first three tracks. I found the tracks repetitive stylistically, and, frankly, the first tracks sound like each other so that I moved on to other music that held my attention throughout the album tracks. I stopped listening after three tracks so I have not heard the remaining tracks. But music appreciation is subjective and I am merely expressing my experience rather than contradicting what others appreciate about Fink. Afterall, enjoying the music is paramount.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard - Give track four a listen. It's all orchestral and very different from the first three :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Great stuff, thanks for the heads up. Listening through Tidal right now and I see they have about 10 more albums.

Almarra 318B-Zu Audio Omen-Marantz SA15S1-Nottingham Analogue Interspace Jr.-BlueSound Node-Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Ifi SPDIF ipurifier-Clearday Shotgun speaker cables-Clarity HarvestII Interconnects-TWL powercords-ATS acoustic panels-Echo Buster corner traps

This is a fun read. Nice to see you had a run-in with Fink, very similar to me...

I had this exact same 'how could I have missed this guy?' thought somewhere in 2013. I had never heard of Fink prior to listening to him on vinyl (Sort of Revolution) during a demo at one of the more prestigious dealers in NL. I remember preferring listening to the Magico Q1's playing Fink over the Magico Q7's in the next room playing ...(fill in any well recorded utterly un-involving audiophile stuff).

I then ran into the "Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet" live album, which replaced "February" by Kane (Dutch band) as my album of choice for a deserted island. I remember flagging "Wheels Turn.." in a best find of the year '13 thread here on CA.

I really like the RCO album, but do still prefer Fink live with his own band. I went to see Fink in Paradiso (Amsterdam) November last year and, what a coincidence, I went to see Fink in the Royal Concertgebouw (without the RCO, just the venue) the day before yesterday (Oct 22).. Paradiso was epic. No more, no less. I felt the Concertgebouw acoustics (highly regarded ) are simply less fit for this particular purpose and the hall, although very classy, does not have the rock-temple vibe & intimacy of the Paradiso. It was still very good though..

WP_20151022_21_50_09_Rich.jpg

FINK in the Concertgebouw (Oct. 22, 2015 - Amsterdam)

Bits to analog: Server [i9-10850k; Win10Pro, Roon Core + HQPlayer4 >all DSD256x] -> mRendu -> Regen -> Lampi GG

Analog to sound: ASR Emitter II Exclusive, Battery -> Gryphon Mojo S + 2 x REL G2

Details: Audio System

This is a fun read. Nice to see you had a run-in with Fink, very similar to me...

I had this exact same 'how could I have missed this guy?' thought somewhere in 2013. I had never heard of Fink prior to listening to him on vinyl (Sort of Revolution) during a demo at one of the more prestigious dealers in NL. I remember preferring listening to the Magico Q1's playing Fink over the Magico Q7's in the next room playing ...(fill in any well recorded utterly un-involving audiophile stuff).

I then ran into the "Wheels Turn Beneath My Feet" live album, which replaced "February" by Kane (Dutch band) as my album of choice for a deserted island. I remember flagging "Wheels Turn.." in a best find of the year '13 thread here on CA.

I really like the RCO album, but do still prefer Fink live with his own band. I went to see Fink in Paradiso (Amsterdam) November last year and, what a coincidence, I went to see Fink in the Royal Concertgebouw (without the RCO, just the venue) the day before yesterday (Oct 22).. Paradiso was epic. No more, no less. I felt the Concertgebouw acoustics (highly regarded ) are simply less fit for this particular purpose and the hall, although very classy, does not have the rock-temple vibe & intimacy of the Paradiso. It was still very good though..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21685[/ATTACH]

FINK in the Concertgebouw (Oct. 22, 2015 - Amsterdam)

Great story. Thanks for posting. I'm jealous. I wish Fink would tour here in the US.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have had an awesome week musically discovering Fink and also with a great live show I will share in Album of the Evening. I was able to share this with like minded listeners and they loved it. When you write about musicians and band with this kind of passion I have no issue with voting with my dollars without hearing a single note. You have wonderful taste sir!!!!!

CA needs more of this passion for MUSIC within the forums and a whole lot less of arguments on the same lot of subjective subjects over and over again. Music like this brings us together in such a beautiful way.

Thank you so much for sharing this. I have had an awesome week musically discovering Fink and also with a great live show I will share in Album of the Evening. I was able to share this with like minded listeners and they loved it. When you write about musicians and band with this kind of passion I have no issue with voting with my dollars without hearing a single note. You have wonderful taste sir!!!!!

CA needs more of this passion for MUSIC within the forums and a whole lot less of arguments on the same lot of subjective subjects over and over again. Music like this brings us together in such a beautiful way.

Thanks for the post Booster. I'm very happy to see you and your like minded listeners have also experienced as much enjoyment from this album as I have.

I agree with you about CA needing more passion for music and less arguments about the same subjects.

x2. Thanks for the Boost!

:-)

I also have discovered Fink because of this and using Tidal.

BTW, two different artists share the same name on Tidal...

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Sort of Versions EP. This is him solo and acoustic. My favourite and sound wise one of the best acoustic recordings I know. It is on Tidal and can be bought from Sort of Versions EP (2009) – Fink

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

Check out Sort of Versions EP. This is him solo and acoustic. My favourite and sound wise one of the best acoustic recordings I know. It is on Tidal and can be bought from Sort of Versions EP (2009) – Fink

Listening to this now. Sounds awesome.

Almarra 318B-Zu Audio Omen-Marantz SA15S1-Nottingham Analogue Interspace Jr.-BlueSound Node-Schiit Modi 2 Uber, Ifi SPDIF ipurifier-Clearday Shotgun speaker cables-Clarity HarvestII Interconnects-TWL powercords-ATS acoustic panels-Echo Buster corner traps

• 1 month later...