IGNORED

External HD with iTunes

sootshe

Hi all,

Need some help.

Had to reload my OS & now can't get my library to show in iTunes.

Running Mac Book Pro with El Capitan - 60gig SS drive for OS - outboard 500gig drive with all the WAV files on it.

Copied the iTunes folder from the hard drive (pic 1) & pasted that into the ext. drive (pic 2) - then copied all the music files into "iTunes media" on the ext drive.

From iTunes preferences set iTunes media folder location to " ext HD - iTunes - iTunes media" (pic 3).

Set "organise library & consolidate files" from iTunes preferences. (pic 4)

This brings some files over in to iTunes but not as complete albums, just a long list of songs in random & it also deletes all the files on the ext. HD.

What am I doing wrong? So frustrating.

Thanks,

John

SCREEN SHOT 1.png

Screen Shot 2.png

Screen Shot 3.png

Screen Shot 4.png

Hi all,

Need some help.

Had to reload my OS & now can't get my library to show in iTunes.

Running Mac Book Pro with El Capitan - 60gig SS drive for OS - outboard 500gig drive with all the WAV files on it.

Copied the iTunes folder from the hard drive (pic 1) & pasted that into the ext. drive (pic 2) - then copied all the music files into "iTunes media" on the ext drive.

From iTunes preferences set iTunes media folder location to " ext HD - iTunes - iTunes media" (pic 3).

Set "organise library & consolidate files" from iTunes preferences. (pic 4)

This brings some files over in to iTunes but not as complete albums, just a long list of songs in random & it also deletes all the files on the ext. HD.

What am I doing wrong? So frustrating.

Thanks,

John

Hi,

Your description may be incomplete because there's nothing in it that would cause all files to be deleted from the external hard drive. Anyway, since that has happened, do you have a backup (for example, Time Machine) of iTunes as you want it to be, or at least a backup of your collection of music files?

Hi,

Your description may be incomplete because there's nothing in it that would cause all files to be deleted from the external hard drive. Anyway, since that has happened, do you have a backup (for example, Time Machine) of iTunes as you want it to be, or at least a backup of your collection of music files?

Yes, I have a backup of all the files, so I have all the music files back on the external hard drive.

I have 400 albums on the external hard drive - a dozen of them are AIFF files & the rest is all WAV files.

I've tried the process a number of times & each time it puts the 12 albums with the AIFF files into iTunes as complete albums & all the WAV file albums go into iTunes as just a single album with the balance of the 4,000 odd songs.

It then only shows the AIFF albums in the external HD & the WAV file albums are missing.

This should be such a simple process, I must be doing something wrong.

Yes, I have a backup of all the files, so I have all the music files back on the external hard drive.

I have 400 albums on the external hard drive - a dozen of them are AIFF files & the rest is all WAV files.

I've tried the process a number of times & each time it puts the 12 albums with the AIFF files into iTunes as complete albums & all the WAV file albums go into iTunes as just a single album with the balance of the 4,000 odd songs.

It then only shows the AIFF albums in the external HD & the WAV file albums are missing.

.wav files are known to be deficient as far as imbedded metadata is concerned, so therein lies the problem. Suggest transcoding the .wav files to .aiff, but you may have to tag the files manually once you do that.

.wav files are known to be deficient as far as imbedded metadata is concerned, so therein lies the problem. Suggest transcoding the .wav files to .aiff, but you may have to tag the files manually once you do that.

Thanks,

I had my suspicions that this was the problem - want to keep the library in WAV format, so I'll have to put each album back in individually - what a pain. I'll think twice about doing this again next time.

Appreciate your input.

Choosing to use WAV instead of AIFF with iTunes could be considered unwise if not wrong. :)

You're getting the expected result from importing WAV and AIFF files into iTunes. iTunes will be reading the artist and album (and other) info from tags embedded in the AIFFs, so no problem there. However, iTunes considers WAV to not support tags (although tags in WAV are utilised by numerous apps nowadays) so iTunes will generate a song name from a WAV file's name, but it will not identify the album and artist even if that info has been stored in the WAV by some other app, and so it considers the song to belong to album "Unknown Album" by artist "Unknown Artist".

After WAVs have been imported, you can enter info such as artist and album for the songs, and iTunes will automatically reorganise the song files into named folders for these albums and artists (if the organize preference is enabled), but that info will only be stored in iTunes database and not written into the WAV files. iTunes does write info into AIFF, in addition to storing the info in the database.

Manually entering the info for hundreds of albums would be a nightmare, of course.

Are you certain you don't have a backup of your previous ~/Music/iTunes folder?

If not, I would start again with a copy of the backup which has the song files inside album folders inside artist folders, and use XLD to convert the WAVs to AIFFs, then use a tag editor which can automatically derive tags from the folder names as a batch process, then import the tagged AIFFs into iTunes. Someone else will need to recommend the tag editor, though.

Do you have the original iTunes library file with the suffix .itl ? It might even be in a directory called "previous libraries". If you can find that file, it will save you a HUGE amount of work, because that is where all the metadata that you can't paste on the wav files resides.

If you have that library, open it in iTunes, and simply direct iTunes to the location of files if you see a little ! when you go to play them. It will automatically do the rest for you. But keep one backup copy far away from iTunes, just in case something goes amiss.

Choosing to use WAV instead of AIFF with iTunes could be considered unwise if not wrong. :)

You're getting the expected result from importing WAV and AIFF files into iTunes. iTunes will be reading the artist and album (and other) info from tags embedded in the AIFFs, so no problem there. However, iTunes considers WAV to not support tags (although tags in WAV are utilised by numerous apps nowadays) so iTunes will generate a song name from a WAV file's name, but it will not identify the album and artist even if that info has been stored in the WAV by some other app, and so it considers the song to belong to album "Unknown Album" by artist "Unknown Artist".

After WAVs have been imported, you can enter info such as artist and album for the songs, and iTunes will automatically reorganise the song files into named folders for these albums and artists (if the organize preference is enabled), but that info will only be stored in iTunes database and not written into the WAV files. iTunes does write info into AIFF, in addition to storing the info in the database.

Manually entering the info for hundreds of albums would be a nightmare, of course.

Are you certain you don't have a backup of your previous ~/Music/iTunes folder?

If not, I would start again with a copy of the backup which has the song files inside album folders inside artist folders, and use XLD to convert the WAVs to AIFFs, then use a tag editor which can automatically derive tags from the folder names as a batch process, then import the tagged AIFFs into iTunes. Someone else will need to recommend the tag editor, though.

Thanks,

You're completely right - I get an "unknown album - unknown artist" with 4,000 songs in it.

The back up I have is just of the "albums & Artists" from the original CD rips.

I did take a Time Machine backup before I upgraded the OS - but if I go back to this, I won't have the latest OS on my computer.

On top of that I wanted to do a clean install & bring the computer back to new again.

Looks like I have a long data entry process ahead of me.

Thanks for everyones help.

I did take a Time Machine backup before I upgraded the OS - but if I go back to this, I won't have the latest OS on my computer.

Time Machine allows you to easily restore individual files. Just go to the directory where the file was located and click on the TM icon (upper right) and scroll through the backups until you find the file you want to restore.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Putting each album back in manually still doesn't solve my problem as when I "add to library" & just add 1 album it deletes that album from my external HD.

(Time Machine allows you to easily restore individual files. Just go to the directory where the file was located and click on the TM icon (upper right) and scroll through the backups until you find the file you want to restore.)

Are you saying I can get the .itl file I need from TM?

And what do I do with it?

Putting each album back in manually still doesn't solve my problem as when I "add to library" & just add 1 album it deletes that album from my external HD.

I was thinking that your TM backup probably has the library file that Bill (wgscott) mentions in Post #7.

Sounds like you guys might have the answer with this file in TM.

If I can find that individual file what exactly do I need to do?

I would expect the file to be in a TM backup of the Music/iTunes directory. I am not an iTunes expert so I'll others advise you on what to do with the file.

It sounds like you will have all the backups you need to recover. iTunes, for all its sins, even creates its own local backup of that file. It is called iTunes\ Library.itl . There may also be a directory called "Previous iTunes Libraries" where iTunes keeps its own backups from time to time (maybe upon upgrades) even if Time Machine didn't do this for you.

Just don't panic, go slowly, and make sure you have at least TWO backups of your wav files, just in case.

It sounds like you will have all the backups you need to recover. iTunes, for all its sins, even creates its own local backup of that file. It is called iTunes\ Library.itl . There may also be a directory called "Previous iTunes Libraries" where iTunes keeps its own backups from time to time (maybe upon upgrades) even if Time Machine didn't do this for you.

Just don't panic, go slowly, and make sure you have at least TWO backups of your wav files, just in case.

Yes, I have been panicking, as although I am not completely computer illiterate, this is very hard for me to get my head around.

When I first converted to computer playback, I understood the need for back ups & so have 3 copies of all the discs I ripped, so pretty safe there.

I only use itunes because I currently use Amarra for playback. Had a look on the Audirvana site & I see they have their own library management system instead of itunes. I wonder if I can put all my WAV files in there & it might sort them OK.

Might download a version tonight & have a play around with that.

Sounds like you guys might have the answer with this file in TM.

Yes, that's why I originally asked if you had a Time Machine backup, and later asked if you had a backup of ~/Music/iTunes. Artwork will also be in ~/Music/iTunes. :)

P.S. ~ is shorthand for your account's home folder.

Guys,

Downloaded Audirvana plus last night & wow, does this handle WAV files or what.

Imported my whole database in seconds & it retains all the folders & subfolders. Just need to convert each subfolder to an "album", which it does in seconds & as a bonus I can now have album art for all my albums.

This software is set up perfectly for WAV file users & is so intuitive & easy to use.

Hope I haven't wasted all your efforts, because I really do appreciate your responses. If it wasn't for your replies I wouldn't have come across this option. Please understand that computer audio has to be something that I can work with on my own & fully understand, otherwise it just becomes a nightmare & I would not persevere with it.

Audirvana software allows me to understand how things work & know that if I ever have to do a major overhaul on my computer, I will be able to get back to square one without any dramas.

Thanks once again to all who replied.

John

Imported my whole database in seconds & it retains all the folders & subfolders. Just need to convert each subfolder to an "album", which it does in seconds & as a bonus I can now have album art for all my albums.

This software is set up perfectly for WAV file users & is so intuitive & easy to use.

Hope I haven't wasted all your efforts, because I really do appreciate your responses. If it wasn't for your replies I wouldn't have come across this option. Please understand that computer audio has to be something that I can work with on my own & fully understand, otherwise it just becomes a nightmare & I would not persevere with it.

Audirvana software allows me to understand how things work & know that if I ever have to do a major overhaul on my computer, I will be able to get back to square one without any dramas.

I'm glad you posted confirmation that not reading WAV metadata is more of an iTunes issue, just like it being practically the only music player that doesn't play FLAC.

Happy you got things sorted out. I'm sure you will enjoy Audirvana Plus.

Guys,

Thanks once again to all who replied.

John

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Yes, that's why I originally asked if you had a Time Machine backup, and later asked if you had a backup of ~/Music/iTunes. Artwork will also be in ~/Music/iTunes. :)

P.S. ~ is shorthand for your account's home folder.

Just couldn't help myself. I just had to investigate that .itl file, so I went back in to TM as you suggested & actually found that file.

Now....what to do with it?.... so I copied the back up .itl file & pasted it back in to the itunes directory & hey presto.....all my files restored in a couple of seconds.

All this stuff is easy if you know what you're doing.....well, I guess I'm slowly learning.

So now I have A+ & Amarra to try out....ahhhh more decisions. They both sound great, just different from each other.

Thanks again for all the comments from everyone & putting up with my ignorance....much appreciated.