IGNORED

Thought on my first system?

Mies

Hello All!

I stumbled across this extremely helpful forum as I starting exploring how to put together a new stereo system for my home. I've been able to find a lot of answers by exploring though the posts here, but Id love to get some feedback about the system I'm putting together. If you don't count the 2.1 bose setup I purchased 13 years ago, this will be my first system.

Here's the situation:

I've got a budget of up to $4,000. I listen to mostly digital files, and recently started upgrading my library of 500 or so albums to all FLAC. I'd like to be able to wirelessly control the music system from either my MBP (OSX 10.10) or an ipad. I listen to a lot of types of music, but chief among them are classical, jazz and electronic. Space is very limited in my living situation, and I need to buy components that are as small as possible (especially the speakers). There's a good chance I'll be moving from the US to Spain in a few years, so I'd like the system to be reasonably transportable.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

iPad → Roon with Tidal Hi-Fi → Auralic Aries mini w/ 1TB SSD → Peachtree Nova 125SE → Anthony Gallo A’Diva SE 2.1 with TR-1D sub. This comes to arox. $4k.

I realize that both the Peachtree Nova and Aries mini have DACs, but I suppose I'll just try each one and see which sounds better.

Alternatively, I've considered using the Decware Zen SE84UFO with Blumenstein Orca Deluxe 2.1. My concern is that the speakers are still fairly large compared to the A'Diva's, so I'd only change if the sound quality is markedly better.

Thoughts? Better devices to pair? Better values to be had?

Anyway around it this will be a huge upgrade and I'm excited for the change. Thanks for the input!

Elac B6 Speakers: $280 (according to most that have heard them, currently, hands down, best bang for the buck speaker of all time, don't be mislead by the price. Designed by Andrew Jones, 'nuf said)

Elac S10 Subwoofer: $250 each, buy two, so $500

Bel Canto C5i integrated amp/dac: $1,895

Uptone Audio Regen: $180

Blue Circle Audio PLC Thingee power conditioner: $255

Curious Cables usb cable: $340, or Mapleshade Clear Link Plus usb cable: $135

Iso Acoustics Argosy Spire 360i speaker stands: $380

Iso Acoustics L8R20 subwoofer stand: $60

Audio software for computer (get one with remote control, such as Audirvana Plus so you can control with your iPad or iPhone): $100 or so

Blue Jeans speaker cables: $100-$200

Jim Smith's "Get Better Sound" DVD series: $25 (best money you will ever spend in this hobby)

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Thanks Blake! That's a lot to look up, but I'm on it.

You can google reviews for the Elac B5. The B6 is just a B5 with a bit bigger woofer.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Hello All!

I stumbled across this extremely helpful forum as I starting exploring how to put together a new stereo system for my home. I've been able to find a lot of answers by exploring though the posts here, but Id love to get some feedback about the system I'm putting together. If you don't count the 2.1 bose setup I purchased 13 years ago, this will be my first system.

Here's the situation:

I've got a budget of up to $4,000. I listen to mostly digital files, and recently started upgrading my library of 500 or so albums to all FLAC. I'd like to be able to wirelessly control the music system from either my MBP (OSX 10.10) or an ipad. I listen to a lot of types of music, but chief among them are classical, jazz and electronic. Space is very limited in my living situation, and I need to buy components that are as small as possible (especially the speakers). There's a good chance I'll be moving from the US to Spain in a few years, so I'd like the system to be reasonably transportable.

Here's what I'm thinking of buying:

iPad → Roon with Tidal Hi-Fi → Auralic Aries mini w/ 1TB SSD → Peachtree Nova 125SE → Anthony Gallo A’Diva SE 2.1 with TR-1D sub. This comes to arox. $4k.

I realize that both the Peachtree Nova and Aries mini have DACs, but I suppose I'll just try each one and see which sounds better.

Alternatively, I've considered using the Decware Zen SE84UFO with Blumenstein Orca Deluxe 2.1. My concern is that the speakers are still fairly large compared to the A'Diva's, so I'd only change if the sound quality is markedly better.

Thoughts? Better devices to pair? Better values to be had?

Anyway around it this will be a huge upgrade and I'm excited for the change. Thanks for the input!

I would match the Decware Zen SE84UFO with a pair of Tekton Design Lore Reference....

You can google reviews for the Elac B5. The B6 is just a B5 with a bit bigger woofer.

Blake-

I spent time learning about your suggestions. Talk about going down the rabbit hole... I think I was secretly hoping to ignore the complexity of cables, signal processors, power conditioners and the like. I do really appreciate the good value suggestions as it was clearly a missing link in my research.

The Elac B6 speakers look very impressive. It's hard to get over their low price, and the thought of spending more on speaker stands than on the speakers themselves is tripping me up.

The bel canto looks like a significant upgrade over the peachtree integrated amps. I like that it can be a springboard for future upgrades to other system components.

Do you have a recommendation for a streamer?

Those Tekton speakers look like they would be a great fit with the low watt Decware amp. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm mentioning since I own a pair of m-lore speakers, paired with a Musical Paradise PM301 MkIII tube amp (6W output) and I'm very happy about the result.

To be honest, I was also looking to the Decware tube amps, but I made a different choice purely for budget reason.... the one I liked more was actually the SE34I.4, configured with two inputs (1645$)