IGNORED

New John Scofield: Past Present

Anyone else digging this?

Scott's playing and writing imbued with the funky swing of his time with Medeski Martin & Wood (like those albums as well) and the loose jamming' with the Dead bass player's entourage...

Lovano, as a result stays more inside and on edge of altered harmony that other stuff I have with him that falls into the realm that my wife calls "headache jazz"...it's like he's let his hair down! Dude's always wearing a hat, so I meant that figuratively!

Tone with Soul

I am just finishing my first listen through this and a I dig it. I have always loved Sco and have seen him live a few times. I agree that Lovano does seem a bit easier to listen to on this album than a lot of the other stuff I have heard of his. I'm not an expert on him but it does seem that a lot of what I have heard is a bit "cerebral" and takes effort to appreciate.

Roon ->UltraRendu + CI Audio 7v LPS-> Kii Control -> Kii Three

Roon->BMC UltraDAC->Mr Speakers Aeon Flow Open

Seriously good playing by John, Joe Lovano, Larry Grenadier...

Mature, highly original players doing it from the heart.

Like it! Thanks for sharing.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

''Meant to be'' scores pretty good;

[TABLE=class: table table-bordered table-striped, width: 100%]

[TR]

[TH=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]Track DR[/TH]

[TD=bgcolor: #F9F9F9]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Strange that as equipment gets better DR. goes down.

'' Meant to Be '' is my favorite with that 4tet. I am very curious about the new album.

Meant_to_Be_John_Scofield.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/detail.cfm?title_id=109837&print=t&n=John_Scofield-Past_Present-FLAC_96kHz24bit_Download

Downloaded from Pro Studio Masters, AIFF, 96/24, a few weeks ago. On my system, the SQ is very good, neither loud nor harsh. Scofield's playing is creative. Not my favorite guitarist, but obviously talented in musicality and technique. Do not regret the purchase. I have a large collection of guitarist and Scofield's latest has a style and sound that I find entertaining. Needless to say, his sidemen are superb musicians. I have no hesitation in recommending Past Present as pluperfect.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

John Scofield Past Present.jpg

Glad I didn't get suckered into buying another $21+ HDTracks disappointment from an audio quality perspective. CD was like $13 from Amazon Prime. Rip played on HQPlayer does it just fine for me. Great players on this album...if I didn't already mention it.

Actually, have stopped paying up for HDTracks...in my system and room, that usually has 2 or 3 acoustic guitars (they ring sympthetically, even when the strings are muted) and a guitar amp with additional speaker cab...I seldom notice a significant improvement, particularly with reissues of reissued stuff.

Also, not buying remixes of stuff I already have bought once, twice and sometimes there times already, anymore, unless new material is added.

Tone with Soul

IMHO it sounds loud and harsh (24/96 version). I can't believe mastering engineer Mark Wilder is now getting into the loudness war ...

Me too, but I found that loudness wars do not stopped at all as someone saying - they even going to classical music now time to time, which is unacceptable for me! I've found for the last few months some great albums, but sound quality destroyed them at start. Pita!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

'' Meant to Be '' is my favorite with that 4tet. I am very curious about the new album.

Meant_to_Be_John_Scofield.jpg

http://store.acousticsounds.com/detail.cfm?title_id=109837&print=t&n=John_Scofield-Past_Present-FLAC_96kHz24bit_Download

Dig "Works for Me" with this lineup playing with JS:

Kenny Garrett - Alto saxophone

Brad Mehldau - Piano

Christian McBride - Double bass

Billy Higgins - Drums

No measurements included.

Tone with Soul