IGNORED

Off Forum! Vinyl setup?

Diametrically opposed to what this forum is about I suppose...

I want to buy a vinyl setup and want some guidance. I find this a lot harder than digital. Can someone please recommend me some reading/forum/guidelines on vinyl gear?

FYI... I'm not a newbie on this... In school I had a Rega that I modified, built a phonostage, etc... But I gave all my equipment to a friend since it was inadequate for my new setup.

Narrowing down a vinyl setup in the $15k to $30k range is massively non-trivial I find.

Don't need to discuss here, just point me or PM me.

Thx!

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Suggestions:

Turntables: Avid, Michell Orbe, or SME

Tone arms:SME or Graham. I like Origin Live but a bit downmarket on your budget...

Cartridge: something (anything) from Lyra

Forum: Vinyl Engine - The Home of the Turntable

Thx guys.

In terms of cartridge I had already sort of decided, spefically Lyra Kleos or Etna depending on my appetite. Since some tables were mentioned, how about Acoustic Signature Storm II or VPI Scoutmaster? I listened to the VPI recently and loved the sound. Cart was Dynavector IIRC.

Thx for the forum.

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

system pics

Thx guys.

In terms of cartridge I had already sort of decided, spefically Lyra Kleos or Etna depending on my appetite. Since some tables were mentioned, how about Acoustic Signature Storm II or VPI Scoutmaster? I listened to the VPI recently and loved the sound. Cart was Dynavector IIRC.

Thx for the forum.

Don't know much about VPI, but from memory they looked nicely engineered and seemed good value for TT/arm combos. As I recall they have a particularly easy system for VTA adjustment - a boon to the obsessive...

On your budget you might want to investigate parallel tracking tone arms - Clearaudio maybe.

Then there's always ELP Laser Turntable |

I have a VPI (had another VPI before this one) and the arm makes it easy to adjust VTA and Azimuth.

BTW - I tried a Lyra Kleos for a few weeks and sold it quick only because a friend offered to buy it full price if I would set it up. Regretted it at first, then I got a Koetsu Rosewood Signature - never looked back. The Koetsu is a quiet tracker and I was surprised by the dynamics - I also went to outboard SUTs. There's a picture of it somewhere on CA, I can repost if needed.

A good place to re-learn is Audio Asylum's Vinyl Asylum forum. Lots of experience with just about any table you want to ask about.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

How about a Palmer 2.5? Or a Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, or Nottingham Analogue Dais?

Have fun shopping Miguelito!

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Are you looking for something vintage?? Or more modern??

Vintage -- I like Thorens, Rega, Oracle, and on a stretch..... Linn.

Modern -- I like Avid, Clearaudio, Michell and VPI

For Arms: Budget -- Jelco; High-End -- JMW (which are featured on VPI Turntables), Graham or Wheaton

For Cartridges: Budget -- Dynavector, Grado, Ortofon, or Sumiko; High-End -- Dynavector or Lyra

As for sites to check out, the ones I recommend are Vinyl Engine (Budget or Vintage), AudioKarma and Audiogon (Modern, Moderate and High-End).

Good Luck (and welcome back to Analog)....

--Charles--

Spare no expense go with a linear tracking tonearm "terminator" on a scoutmaster would be good. Also a lot of fuss around the PGT in the vinyl ripping community.

My target upgrade "dream" arm is the Schroder LT, best of many compromises.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

DSCN3407[1].jpgI am partial to my Eminent Technology 2 with Koetsu Rosewood. That Terminator arm seems iffy at first blush. It would seem to me that the widely spaced air holes would lend itself to pushing back on the slider. One would think a manifold with more air holes would be far preferable. Then again, it is pretty inexpensive for an air bearing arm. Awhile back I picked up a Goldring/Lenco drive/platter, and have been looking forward to building a new table with the Goldring, ET and Koetsu together.
My target upgrade "dream" arm is the Schroder LT, best of many compromises.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

It looks like you are answering your own question.

You don't know until you listened to a broad swath of tables.

system pics

If I might suggest, find a cartridge you like first, and then mate an arm and table. I loosely liken DACs to cartridges in that they all have a signature. When you find one you really like, it can be amazing!

You don't know until you listened to a broad swath of tables.

Forrest:

Miggy, as I see that you are in New York City, might I suggest a trip down to Stereo Exchange where they have announced the opening of a turntable lounge on October 15th. And, no, I don't work for or have any connection to Stereo Exchange.

That's where I listened to the VPI in fact. Yes, will do.

system pics

If I might suggest, find a cartridge you like first, and then mate an arm and table. I loosely liken DACs to cartridges in that they all have a signature. When you find one you really like, it can be amazing!

As obvious as this advice might seem, it truly is the most insightful advice I've ever seen regarding vinyl gear. Thank you!

system pics

My pleasure Miguelito! Sad as this may seem, I have been reprimanded for such statements around here.

As obvious as this advice might seem, it truly is the most insightful advice I've ever seen regarding vinyl gear. Thank you!

Forrest:

My pleasure Miguelito! Sad as this may seem, I have been reprimanded for such statements around here.

You know you're onto something when somebody bitches about what you said.

system pics

LOL, good point!

You know you're onto something when somebody bitches about what you said.

Forrest:

Don't forget that the phono stage and the cartridge are a unique pairing. You would be better off if you could demo/voice them as a pair. Sorry this adds complexity but I have heard cartridges that sound completely different when switched from a fixed load tube phone-pre to a multi-select load solid state phono-pre - and then there are SUTs.

I agree, but still think it starts with the cartridge. It is true that a cartridge needs to be loaded correctly to perform at its best, and it is likely that you are correct in that one might ought to listen to them as a pair. However, the OP needs to start somewhere, and the cartridge is the beginning point IMO, as it dictates the sound, the compliance, loading and gain required to get you to line level. Any decision will eliminate some products, and IMO it is best to start with the cartridge instead of scrounging to find a cartridge that sounds good with the gear you already have. At least one ought to choose a type of output: super low, low, medium or high as it will dictate your loading and gain. Miguelito's system is worthy of a fine front end, be it digital or vinyl, and it ain't gonna just happen. It has to be finessed from diamond to line level. When I hear of people talking about their DACs "blowing away" vinyl, it makes me wonder about things like this.

Don't forget that the phono stage and the cartridge are a unique pairing. You would be better off if you could demo/voice them as a pair. Sorry this adds complexity but I have heard cartridges that sound completely different when switched from a fixed load tube phone-pre to a multi-select load solid state phono-pre - and then there are SUTs.

Forrest: