IGNORED

Which output from a computer to Meridian DSP5200 speakers

Hi,

I recently bought the Meridian DSP5200 speakers (after i just missed a nice offer on DSP8000 so until I can find one again I will use these speakers) and want to use computer lossless music as my only music source. I have spent lots of time reading forums and here what seem the best options for me, but I would like someone experimented to confirm / improve my options please :

1. Solution 1 is laptop (probably new macbook pro 13 inch) outputint to USB, using the HagUSB to coaxial (the M-audio transit can only output optical from what I understood) and then into the speakers. Cables used would be Kimber USB cable and DHLabs 75 coaxial cable.

2. Solution 2 is a desktop (mac pro or PC) with Lynx AES16 sound card outputing coaxial into the speakers. Same DHLabs 75 coaxial cable would be used.

It seems from many readings that solution 2 would provide better sound but solution 1 is more convenient as I can eliminate any noise from the living room.

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

Yes your option 2 would be better. A couple of other options...

Option 3 is the MacBook then FireWire to an external SPDIF interface. This could vary from TC Konnekt 8 (£300) to Weiss AFI1 or Vesta (£1500 for AFI1 I think). AFI1 should be similar quality to Lynx though independent comparisons are hard to find.

Option 4 MacBook via optical into M-Audio CO2 optical to coax converter.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'd go with the Macbook/HagUSB option, if that's the one that takes your fancy. I don't think the Lynx will be suitable as this is an AES card - designed to output balanced aes/ebu signals - and neither of your Meridian choices offers balanced inputs.

If you go the Macbook route then you will also have the option, at a later date, of upgrading your interface to either async usb or firewire. The PC alternative would be to look around for something with a coax digital output, relatively easy to find on Desktops, rarer than hens teeth on laptops!

2 answers and already two different opinions, that's the beauty of audio...

Option 3 seems good as well, only difference with 1 is the firewire vs usb

Option 4 : i have a question, the optical output from the macbook probably comes from a card which quality is not as good as a Lynx, so isnt it a lower quality option.

Thanks for your answers.

Option 4 (MacBook optical into CO2 converter) wasn't meant to imply better than Lynx option.

Eloise

PS - technically the new Speaker Link (Cat 5 STP) is balanced digital - not sure if there is anyway to connect AES3 from Lynx (or similar) to it though.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I just had a second chance to critically compare my Lynx AES16e with my DIY 22-ft AES/EBU cable + AES2-2-S/PDIF v.s. my friend's Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe with 1-meter S/PDIF cable.

Even the cable is long, the Lynx machine outperforms the HDAV machine by miles. This HDAV machine is the second machine I have tested.

Vote for the Opion 2. PC setup is cheaper though.

See Lynx AES16 with Long Cable

Hi,

I finally made my choice : new Macbook pro 13 inch + firewire cable + Saffire Le (convert firewire to spdif) + coaxial cable onto the speakers.

I will probably add a NAS to store the music and access it from the Macbook.

Thanks all for your help !