Jason,

It looks very nice, but initially I thought maybe "back-up", except when Lima says "safely at home" that is an oxymoron. Backups should not be at home, as a fire would ruin primary and backup in one fell swoop. And I wonder if 5TB is its limit; currently it's what they show in their marketing, but tech specs shows 7TB..which is still too small for many of us horders. :)

I am sure I am missing the point, though. How will you use it?

"Safely at home" as opposed to "somewhere in the cloud accessible to whoever wants to".

Then you can put it anywhere you want geographically provided that it is connected to the internet and to a HD.

And of course you can have more than one device to have redundancies.

The product is in its infancy, which mean that there are bugs and that not all functionalities are activated.

They say the limits of 5-7TB are temporary.

If they manage to fix the bugs and make it a reliable device, it could be interesting.

They provide apps on IOS and Android to access your files and stream your audio and video.

On a PC it shows as another (hard)drive, you can have a local copy or stream directly from the remote device.

In the end it's some sort of private cloud theoretically easily accessible from any device.

They'll just have to develop all the apps...

I wish they'd planned to develop an app for A&K DAPs (wifi streaming of lossless files when you travel anywhere in the world could be quite cool)

Anyway I'm part of the early birds and after a few months I still think it's a promising product.

"Safely at home" as opposed to "somewhere in the cloud accessible to whoever wants to".

Then you can put it anywhere you want geographically provided that it is connected to the internet and to a HD.

And of course you can have more than one device to have redundancies.

The product is in its infancy, which mean that there are bugs and that not all functionalities are activated.

They say the limits of 5-7TB are temporary.

If they manage to fix the bugs and make it a reliable device, it could be interesting.

They provide apps on IOS and Android to access your files and stream your audio and video.

On a PC it shows as another (hard)drive, you can have a local copy or stream directly from the remote device.

In the end it's some sort of private cloud theoretically easily accessible from any device.

They'll just have to develop all the apps...

I wish they'd planned to develop an app for A&K DAPs (wifi streaming of lossless files when you travel anywhere in the world could be quite cool)

Anyway I'm part of the early birds and after a few months I still think it's a promising product.

Thank you so much for the feedback. Would you recommend the unit? Do they provide updates often? Are confident it will turn into a very usable product?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

At this stage I'd recommend to follow up on it.

It's too early to know what it'll become or whether there is a big enough market for them to develop.

But then, it's not that expensive... If you want to help them...

Would you buy again?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Don't be so sure! Read that FAQ! ;-)

I have! Their answer for back-up is to back-up Lima with a 2nd Lima (which isn't even available yet anyway)! Reminds me of Steve Martins' line about how to be a millionaire: first get a million dollars!

I have! Their answer for back-up is to back-up Lima with a 2nd Lima (which isn't even available yet anyway)! Reminds me of Steve Martins' line about how to be a millionaire: first get a million dollars!

haha. It is in its infancy....hence the reason of me starting this thread. ;-)

Yes I would buy it again: I'm confident they'll make of it a satisfactory product (eventually).

But I don't quite see either how to use it with a NAS since you can't access your NAS files with this device unless they develop an app for the NAS themselves...

For back up for now, all the sensible files are also in local copy, on my desktop and laptops. As for the flac library, what is on the Lima drive is already a copy of the original one (which has it's backup), I use it only for remote access.

Yes I would buy it again: I'm confident they'll make of it a satisfactory product (eventually).

But I don't quite see either how to use it with a NAS since you can't access your NAS files with this device unless they develop an app for the NAS themselves...

For back up for now, all the sensible files are also in local copy, on my desktop and laptops. As for the flac library, what is on the Lima drive is already a copy of the original one (which has it's backup), I use it only for remote access.

Practically speaking, this really is only a remote access client. Take your NAS drive with music and movies, copy them to the LIMA drive, install the LIMA app on all of your mobile devices and you now have everything that is on the Lima drive on your all of your mobile device.

Unfortunately, everytime you add music to the NAS drive, you now have to remember to copy it to the LIMA drive, which defeats the whole point of the synchronization.

Without a NAS app, this device would not work for most of us. Besides which, doesn't Bubbleupnp Server allow for remote access of NAS files on Android devices?

I see this as a convienence device for phone picture takers, travelers with laptops, mp3 users, families that want to share picts and movies and music, etc... Not intended for NAS users. Not intended for remote backup. Not intended for the typical CA subscriber.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

I'm pretty technically competent, and I just don't get it; seems like smoke-and-mirrors.

Maybe because of my DIY tendencies, I wonder why one wouldn't just get a ZFS or BTRFS-based NAS, and run something like OwnCloud or Syncthing on it?

If you're allergic to any kind of home IT and don't want a NAS or a Server at home for any reason , you just need this device and a USB hardrive, and everything is taken care of.

Everyone is different, I personally don't understand why people use NAS (I use a 20TB Windows PC as a 24/7 media and file server that I access exclusively with Teamviewer and find it much easier and flexible to use than a NAS).

But I'm happy to have a Lima device to avoid spending time on tuning the server to make the files I want available on the devices I want. Syncing the Server and Lima is easy and when I'm away, I like the idea of shutting down the server and still have access to my key files and music library.

Everyone will have their own solution.

If you're allergic to any kind of home IT and don't want a NAS or a Server at home for any reason , you just need this device and a USB hardrive, and everything is taken care of.

Everyone is different, I personally don't understand why people use NAS (I use a 20TB Windows PC as a 24/7 media and file server that I access exclusively with Teamviewer and find it much easier and flexible to use than a NAS).

But I'm happy to have a Lima device to avoid spending time on tuning the server to make the files I want available on the devices I want. Syncing the Server and Lima is easy and when I'm away, I like the idea of shutting down the server and still have access to my key files and music library.

Everyone will have their own solution.

Makes sense now. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Just a quick update on this.

I tested the remote access to a copy of my library (on a hard drive connected to the LIMA device.

The files are mainly 16/44 flac files with some 24/96 ones, for a total number of about 12,000 files.

- From my laptop I could access my remote library and play it on foobar. I did that in the office and in a hotel.

- I went to a friend's place who still uses a Transporter and Logitech Media server. So I installed LMS on my laptop and could play my files on his device.

- I went to another friend's place and used upnp to stream my files (this time KODI) to his Mac. No problem

So this works fine.

I need yet to try to stream some video...