IGNORED

iUSB3.0

Given that the iUSB3.0 not only provides clean power to a DAC but now regenerates and reclocks the data signal - is the noise inside a 'computer' as much of a problem with the iUSB3.0 as it was before?

Peeps spend a lot of time/money tweaking to prevent noise within computer audio systems. Everything helps but with the iUSB3.0 will those tweaks make a difference or would the iUSB3.0 'sort' them out anyway?

Or am misunderstanding/missing something?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also, those that have one already, how does the auto power on/off function work?

Is it on when the computer is powered, off otherwise. Or is it based on whether there is an audio signal present. I take it that the DAC is also powered down if it is USB powered?

I guess I could just wait to receive mine from iFi but I am changing a few things around before it arrives so wanted to know :)

Guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I never heard noise with the iusb 2.0. But when I pswitched to the iusb3.0, I noticed a very dark back ground with more detail of instruments. So I'd say just because the background being darker which lets more detail shine through, there was noise with the 2.0 but just didn't know it.

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

I have posted some naked iUSB 3.0 images in another thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/ifi-iusb-3-0-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-regenerator-xxx-pictures-25985/

Seems like a quite elaborate devide. The SMPS that comes with it also seems rather interesting. Thay claim it has some outstanding noise figures.

BTW - how much is it in the US ?

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Peeps spend a lot of time/money tweaking to prevent noise within computer audio systems.

The computer itself is a noise generator.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The computer itself is a noise generator.

Yes I know, which is why people buy expensive linear power supplies, custom USB cards, SATA noise filters, and so on, to reduce that noise.

I was wondering if all of the tweaking would be necessary when using the iUSB3.0 as the data is taken and completely regenerated and cleaned. If so then removing all that noise within the computer no longer matters as it is done further down the chain. Or does it?

Have you had a chance to listen to it yet?

W10/i5/ Jriver/Fidelizer Optimizer ~ iFI iUSB 3.0 ~ iFi Micro iDSD DAC ~ Vincent SA-T1 tube preamp ~ Vincent SP - 331 MK tube power amp ~ Canton Vento 830.2 Speakers ~ Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Copper interconnects ~ Triode Wire Labs Speaker cables ~ Triode wire Labs Power Cords.

Well...I can't hear any noise. Never could hear noise...I know computers are full of noise, I work in IT. But with the iUSB2.0 and now 3.0, I've never heard noise. But going from a dark background to a darker and more detail, you know it was there and now it's much better.

Me, no not yet. I am waiting for mine to arrive from iFi :)

Elberoth...have you listened yet?

I am really looking forward to mine arriving!

With regards to the 'noise' thing - I was just interested in what people thought

when does your come? And what gear do you have now?

With auto off, it will turn off the iUSB3.0 when you turn off computer, and turn it on when you power up the computer. If you leave it on 247, well when you have your computer idled or in sleep mode it will still be on and send signal to DAC.

when does your come? And what gear do you have now?

I am using an iUSB, Gemini Dual USB Cable and an iDAC2 with a Raspberry Pi running RuneAudio as a DLNA render using a Synology NAS and their AudioStation apps.

The iDAC2 is connected to my big Japanese battleship amp, a Denon PMA-2000ae, and sound amazing.

Very impressed with the Raspberry Pi. Had a Mac Mini with a linear power supply before running Audirvana and the Pi and the Synology is a much better solution.

Guy

Well...I can't hear any noise. Never could hear noise...I know computers are full of noise, I work in IT. But with the iUSB2.0 and now 3.0, I've never heard noise. But going from a dark background to a darker and more detail, you know it was there and now it's much better.

You are hearing the impact, but it's difficult to know how it's manifesting itself until you actually hear it removed.

I have found that noise in digital is mostly a naturalness killer. I throws a veil across the music that lessens color saturation and obscures low level details.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

I was wondering if all of the tweaking would be necessary when using the iUSB3.0 as the data is taken and completely regenerated and cleaned. If so then removing all that noise within the computer no longer matters as it is done further down the chain. Or does it?

I think it's too idealistic it think that the signal will be completely cleaned. In the real world it's never perfect.

Also don't forget that your computer is generating noise that enters your other components through cabling and power cords and maybe even their chassis. Placing a computer near sensitive analog circuitry just not a good thing, so there can be benefits in making a computer less noisy.

Also don't forget that your computer is generating noise that enters your other components through cabling and power cords and maybe even their chassis. Placing a computer near sensitive analog circuitry just not a good thing, so there can be benefits in making a computer less noisy.

Shorting unused RCA inputs can be a good move in a system that already has a low noise floor. I use these:

http://highend-electronics.com/products/highend-electronics-analog-terminator-shorties

This brought a very subtle improvement too:

http://highend-electronics.com/products/highend-electronics-digital-terminator-75-ohm

Shorting unused RCA inputs can be a good move in a system that already has a low noise floor. I use these:

highend-electronics analog-terminator "shorties" | highend-electronics, inc.

This brought a very subtle improvement too:

highend-electronics digital-terminator "75 ohm" | highend-electronics, inc.

You have to be careful on some equipment that does not like the unused RCA inputs shorted. Generally it is okay.

Hi I also use an Iusb3.0 with an Idsd micro and am very pleased with the results.With my micro It works like a charm but with my (now sold) mytek 192 I could not get It to function properly. It used to "play properly" for two to three minutes and then the sound got heavily distorted following a one to two minute pause then staring to play again and so on. With hi res music especially dsd It didn't play at all but locked and unlocked from 176.4 to dsd constantly according to the mac's display.

This couldn't be due to any cable deficiency because i use the same very high quality cables (an ifi gemini and a belkin usb3.0 premium gold) with my idsd micro with no problem whatsoever, I also used both the usb outputs of the i usb3.0 to exclude any deficiency and always checked to use the correct sockets on the gemini.

What could be the issue? Could It be the receiver of the mytek (not a driverless xmos but a rigisystems requiring drivers on Mac) was incompatible with the functions of IUsb 3.0's functions? Unfortunately I sold the Mytek a few days Later so further testing could not take place. Has any one tried the Iusb3.0 with other manufacturer's dacs? Any Issues?

Hmmmm. I wonder what that was all about? well, you could/should have opened a ticket with iFI/AMR. I would be interested in what they would have said. And, im really enjoying my iUSB3.0 as well!