IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

7 hours ago, exdmd said:

Having lived with a Brooklyn DAC+ for a year I have some observations. The USB and Toslink implementations are not that great (Schiit has much better especially the Gen 5 USB.) One of the first things I noticed with the DAC+ was Toslink out from my TV into the optical in to the DAC+ sounded like ass. Terrible Sabre glare which was not present on USB in. I had to keep my Bifrost Multibit at my work station just to use with the TV on my multi-monitor setup. I also found that sound quality using USB out from my computer was significantly improved using a Schiit Eitr to S/PDIF IN on the DAC+.

And yes I did send my DAC+ back to Mytek in NY for a diagnostic to make sure I did not have a defective unit and Mytek found no problems.

As for MQA it was a mixed bag streaming from Tidal. Some MQA releases sounded marginally better than 44.1 some were worse and there is a lot of 44.1 content on Tidal from good masters that sounds better than MQA. The DAC+ is gone and replaced with a Yggdrasil A2 now. I would rather listen to good 44.1 streaming from Tidal on the Yggy A2 than MQA on the DAC+. I am looking forward to Quobuz launching in the US so I can compare to Tidal.

post more useful than the tenths of 'professional' reviews on the Brookyn DAC. 

Indeed, I'm not surprised:  ESS chip, switch mode power supply, and opamps for the output stage. The chine versions of this sells for a few hundredths. I'm sure that the deep knowledge  of Mytek in digital stuff makes the brookyn a great DAC, but  at the end the hardware is nothing special and there is not reason to think is better than similarly priced offers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2018 at 5:34 PM, Cortes said:

post more useful than the tenths of 'professional' reviews on the Brookyn DAC. 

Indeed, I'm not surprised:  ESS chip, switch mode power supply, and opamps for the output stage. The chine versions of this sells for a few hundredths. I'm sure that the deep knowledge  of Mytek in digital stuff makes the brookyn a great DAC, but  at the end the hardware is nothing special and there is not reason to think is better than similarly priced offers.

Yep, Topping has been making some interesting products, loaded with features and good parts.  If they had better distribution and easy warranty service, they'd be killing it. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-topping-dx7s-dac-and-headphone-amp.2378/

Can anyone enlighten me as the difference between the digital and anologue volume controls and why you’d use one rather the other? 

Ive a ROON end point playing to the USB port and an AV amp into the line ins, if that matters.  I’d love to find a way to balance the volume between the two sources as I risk blowing my ear drums if I switch between line in and usb, without reducing the volume .

many thanks 

^^^^

IWF, not sure I understand your setup.  Do you have a computer or Roon Nucleus acting as your roon core, connected to you Brooklyn via USB then analog outs to your integrated amp?

Nonetheless, have you tried “Bypass” in the Brooklyn setup menu?  With Bypass set to on, neither digital nor analog volume controls are in play.

1 hour ago, iwf said:

Can anyone enlighten me as the difference between the digital and anologue volume controls and why you’d use one rather the other? 

Ive a ROON end point playing to the USB port and an AV amp into the line ins, if that matters.  I’d love to find a way to balance the volume between the two sources as I risk blowing my ear drums if I switch between line in and usb, without reducing the volume .

many thanks 

Hi,

Theatre Bypass disables the attenuator for the analogue line ins...this enables to Feed L+R speaker signal from AV pre-out to Brooklyn DAC using the rest of system as Home Theatre front speakers.

Regarding the digital vs analog attenuator, they are there basically just to give you different options to fit your taste regarding sound attenuation:

• 1db step 32bit digital attenuator - maybe more analitical and more resolution
  • 1db step analog attenuator - a little warmer more envolving maybe...

If you are using the analog inputs (line in, phono MC/MM) i believe you will always be using the analog volume control (Attenuator). If otherwise using a digital input, then you have those 2 choices but they don't differ in terms of sound level just in the way attenuation (volume control) is done.

There is some debate about which is best digital or analog you will find both being bashed and praised... as always in audiophile communities.

If your AV preamp is less "hot" than the Brooklyn Digital preamp out then try to mess with trim/gain levels of the Brooklyn on the DAC menus.

Hope I understood your problem correctly.

Many thanks both, and particularly jonniema 

10 hours ago, jonniema said:

Hi,

Theatre Bypass disables the attenuator for the analogue line ins...this enables to Feed L+R speaker signal from AV pre-out to Brooklyn DAC using the rest of system as Home Theatre front speakers.

Regarding the digital vs analog attenuator, they are there basically just to give you different options to fit your taste regarding sound attenuation:

• 1db step 32bit digital attenuator - maybe more analitical and more resolution
  • 1db step analog attenuator - a little warmer more envolving maybe...

Many thanks both and JonnieMa in particular.  Comprehensive answer.

bypass has several attractions for both ROON and AV, but I noticed did something odd with the Eq when playing back DSD.    I’ll go have a play, and let you know how I get 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have a very big problem with Brooklyn Dac+.

I bougth it today as a second hand device and I found out that there is an old fimware v. 1.00 as the previous owner did not upgrade it. Brooklyn was probably purchased in november 2017. Therefore I decided to upload a new firmawe as per instruction from Mytek webpage usig the fresh firmware 1.23

The Dac is completely dead after this procedure. The blue logo is blinking and there is an information on the screen “ Invalid serial No. Please contact dealer”.

I would like to underline that I used Mytek sofware on my Mac and  appropriate software described as a update from version 1.11 to 1.23

I have also used few other combination of the sofware update together with bootloader mode. No results and the device is still dead. I will be very grateful for yuor suggestions how to solve this issue. Help !

Bart77

11 hours ago, Bart77 said:

Hi everyone

I have a very big problem with Brooklyn Dac+.

I bougth it today as a second hand device and I found out that there is an old fimware v. 1.00 as the previous owner did not upgrade it. Brooklyn was probably purchased in november 2017. Therefore I decided to upload a new firmawe as per instruction from Mytek webpage usig the fresh firmware 1.23

The Dac is completely dead after this procedure. The blue logo is blinking and there is an information on the screen “ Invalid serial No. Please contact dealer”.

I would like to underline that I used Mytek sofware on my Mac and  appropriate software described as a update from version 1.11 to 1.23

I have also used few other combination of the sofware update together with bootloader mode. No results and the device is still dead. I will be very grateful for yuor suggestions how to solve this issue. Help !

Bart77

Hey Bart,

Sorry to hear that.

Did you use  the appropriate version of firmware as indicated on readme file?

Important note #2: "Mytek_BrooklynDAC+_firmware_v.1.23_for1.11upgrade.mfb" must be uploaded FIRST to perform the update properly when going from 1.11 or below.

Also, try turning off the device (removing the plug from the wall and waiting a couple of seconds to discharge capacitors).

I would really recommend creating a ticket on Mytek Support, they are really helpful and will most certainly solve your issue.

https://mytekdigital.com/hifi/support/

Hope it gets fixed soon

^^^^

If you haven't already tried this , below is from the original Brooklyn user manual:

When the update fails:

1. Disconnect power cord.

2. Press and hold the first (from the left) button and connect the power cord again.

3. The DAC runs in Bootloader mode. The logo becomes white and blinks constantly.

4. The update process should then be tried again.

18 hours ago, Bart77 said:

Hi

I uploaded exactly this firmware as you described and I also tried the path which John mentioned - no results.....:(

Maybe I should try again with the old version of the software 1.00 but I cannot find in on the web.

Many thanks

https://mytekdigital.com/download_library/firmware/Mytek_BrooklynDAC+_firmware_v.1.0.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Thank you for the feedback.

I visited today Mytek factory close to Warsaw as I’m living quite close.

My problem has been solved - there was a problem with the software and they amended it very fast on place. Great service !!!!!

Brooklyn is working now perfectly and I must confess that this is great device !!!

Regards

Bart 

• 2 months later...

Anyone deal with a Brooklyn that won't turn on?

Standby light is on but when I depress the volume/on/off knob it wont turn on. So I put the Brooklyn in bootloader mode and reinstalled the latest firmware. It cycled, installed, screen came on, then it went back it standby as its supposed to. Knob still didnt work. I guess the switch is busted....

• 2 months later...

please help !  I use music server Nativ Vita and dac + mytek Broolyn.  but when playing dsd 128 & 64 or Tidal  sounds very good.  but dsd 256 is no sound!  I use the usb port.  Please help me know how to fix this error!  Thank you very much

3 hours ago, Namng said:

please help !  I use music server Nativ Vita and dac + mytek Broolyn.  but when playing dsd 128 & 64 or Tidal  sounds very good.  but dsd 256 is no sound!  I use the usb port.  Please help me know how to fix this error!  Thank you very much

If you are using DoP (DSD over PCM) and I would be 99% sure you are, then it is not possible to achieve DSD256 rates with that. DSD256 is achievable with windows native drivers only.

• 2 months later...

Bit late to ask, I think, but it would be great if one could rename the input strings. Now it says USB, SP/DIF, analog and so on, for which I rather would see (in my case) Rasp, Olive, Dual.

But I fear there wil never come another update for the "old" Brooklyn. Nevertheless, if not asked, no hope.

• 9 months later...

I had firmware v1.25 installed on the DAC+ before. From the release notes I can see the following updates:

v1.28 / 2020-04-29

- internal bug fixes

v1.27 / 2020-01-24

- fixed: wrong recognitioning of SPDIF signal resolution for consumer format

v1.26 / 2019-12-05

- fixed: missing external synchronization setting for USB input
    - adjusted position of the 'dB' label on Simple Screen.

There is nothing related to using the remote for going/exiting from standby (unless that was considered a bug :) )