IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Hi Folks,

When I attempt to play DSD files via USB from my PC, Jriver will only play through the Brooklyn if the output encoding option is set to "none". In which case the Brooklyn display shows 16 bit 44.1 khz. When I attempt to select a DSD option in the Jriver output encoding menu Jriver messages that the hardware does not support the format.

I'm pretty new to all of this. If anyone has experience with Jriver/computer audio and can give me some guidance I would appreciate it.

Besides this issue, I've been sourcing PCM through the PC via USB (stored files and Spotiy streams) and also through an Oppo 103 via Toslink and RCA without any problems.

Which firmware and Asio driver versions are you running?

I have DSD64 and 128, running fine here from AudioLinux with DOP. Native DSD should be running in a day or two.

Thanks, found out I just needed to set Audio Device to Mytek USB Audio (ASIO). Now it's running the DSD64 files fine.

zorntel

I would be very interested in your Brooklyn/Ifi comparison. I also considered the Ifi Micro iDSD, and also am interested in the yet to be released Ifi Pro DAC. So far I'm leaning towards returning the Brooklyn. In comparing it to my humble Oppo 103 I've noted the main sound characteristics from the Brooklyn to include tighter over control of all frequencies. Cymbals and chimes are more distinct and sparkly in the Brooklyn. Bass is more distinct. Closing my eyes I can more easily imagine different sound elements occupying different spacial places with the Brooklyn. If I were to describe it visually I could say it is like viewing two identical paintings side by side but the forms, colors and lines in the Oppo painting will bleed ever so slightly in comparison to the Brooklyn. But I mean very slightly to my ears. My level of enjoyment of the two components are fairly equal. In some instances, I even prefer the Oppo, probably due to file/recording characteristics.

And notable sound characteristics and overall enjoyment really is the deciding factor for me. I find so little difference between the Oppo 103 and Brooklyn that I'm thinking a $500 component that gives me most of the listening enjoyment I can get from a $2000 component is difficult to replace. I also auditioned the Yggdrasil a few months ago and returned that. In my totally subjective opinion, and as best as I can remember, the Brooklyn sounds better than the Yggdrasil, but neither one represented a huge step up in listening enjoyment over the Oppo 103. I guess this is either a testament to what an excellent value the Oppo is and/or a sign that either my ears are not capable of hearing enough of the differences or my humble system can't bring it out.

No final decisions yet for the Brooklyn. I'll give it another week at least to mature.

I wanted one great unknown DAC from second hand but unfortunately it is very rare to see so I definitely ordered Brooklyn, in the end silver one because I think it will have better sound than black Marc :D

I got the silver also. I must say the Brooklyn is one of the most attractive DACs available. I really like the scalloped faceplate, and the display is fun to watch as well as being informative and functional. The whole cool factor is very high. Many other DACs look too serious/boring or too gimmicky. Of course I know you are joking about better sound from a silver Brooklyn but it doesn't hurt to have a component you enjoy looking at as well.

I have and enjoy both. The only thing they are comparable at is their common musical and entertaining sound character and that they both are very good for the price asked. Despite those two there is no comparison The Brooklyn is far better in every aspect (as It should) and even though the Ifi is very competent and competitive at It's price It is no match for the far more expensive dac which is the topic of this discussion.

Thanks, appreciate your feedback.

Eh? Don't you know that black takes care for more black in the sound then? Anyway, that's the sole reason all the stuff I have in my audiorack is black.

a050.gif

Well, off course I'm kidding. The reason might be that my record player is black, and all the rest has to follow. Plus, there are many colours of 'silver', and black is always black.

Yesterday I did a bit of comparison with two downloads, one MQA file with Mozart, the other a 24/192 high-rez version. Pretty hard to tell them apart!

Having said that, I noticed that my vintage Olive 4 played the high-rez file as 24/96 (coax SP/diff), my tiny AV-streamer did only 24/48 (toslink), but my laptop with Win 10 could squeeze 32/384 out of it (USB). a015.gif

I don't think that the Brooklyn showed me false numbers, but I can't be sure.

So, MQA to the rescue? Would it really sound better? I hope so, but by-and-by I tend to think that it won't.

Marc

And did you notice any difference between those files at various bits and kHz? I'm assuming from same original file?

I'm also wondering whether MQA stream would be noticeably better than what you can now get from Spotify premium?

Hello All, from the first day I plugged in my Brooklyn I noticed the power cord does not sit firmly in the socket at the back of the Brooklyn. It gets power without problem but I've never experienced this issue before. It feels like the female end does not insert all the way so it Is too easily removed. I'm wondering if they sent me the wrong power cord?

Has anyone else experienced this?