IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Here is a quick report.

I was able to audition a Mytek Brooklyn today, and conduct a non-scientific A/B test with my Auralic Vega. The Brooklyn sounds more similar to the Vega then different. The Brooklyn has more air, is a still a touch warmish but less so, and projects a similar soundstage and depth. Resolution was better.

Like the Vega in it's day, it is a Swiss Army knife of a feature set, and input choices. We used a high bandwidth custom external 12 volt LPS for the test, two Supra cables and listened to both with and without an Intona box. The analog and digital volume controls were used on the Brooklyn, and both DACS were directly connected to Pass mono blocks.

The Brooklyn just sounds terrific and I look forward to an audition in my home.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

• 2 weeks later...
I am curious. What psu are you using? Can you describe the difference?

I'm using a custom built high bandwidth power supply based on the YMB Sigma 11 circuit with upgraded parts and a transformer designed for very low regulation.

I haven't listened extensively to the Brooklyn's internal SMPS power supply. I tried it briefly and while it's an definite improvement to my recently departed Auralic Vega in some areas, its a incremental change not a step function change. With the LPS its a new ball game, very cohesive with a very solid image, tons of depth with room revererberation and increased resolution and detail.

The Brooklyn DAC is absolutely terrific! I am thrilled with this DAC purchase.

Really an improvement over Auralic Vega? This would be of very much interest for me, as an owner of DSD192. Have listened Vega in my setup and it was a more refined DAC than my Mytek 192

Thinking about upgrade and if Brooklyn is really more refined than Vega (what is "better"?),

this would be really an excellent product.

Can you be a little more specific in comparing the Vega with Brooklyn?

Yes better then the Vega. Did you read my post 453 above?

I believe you'll find posts #191 and #209 very interesting..

Not a comparison with the vega but a good detailed comparison with the 192 may prove useful to you.

Having never heard a Mytek DAC before the Brooklyn it's impossible for me to compare with the 192.

I've owned three DACs in two years and have auditioned another 3 in that time. Nothing beat the Vega. One DAC, an Exasound was close, but I couldn't listen to it in DSD256 which is supposed to be its best mode. It was a close tie to the Vega playing PCM, with the Vega arguably a touch better. From this experience my conclusion was that DACs aren't that different. I was wrong.

The Mytek Brooklyn powered by my custom LPS is in another league. There is just much more of everything PRAT, 3d imaging, extension, resolution, air, harmonics, you name it. It's both a very natural presentation with a fullness that makes the other DACs I've owned and auditioned seem pale by comparison.

It is as though there is much more signal getting to the DAC. The Brooklyn just delivers a better simulation of reality. A bit like moving from SDTV to HDTV.

It was exciting to learn about this product given it's many connectivity options, format support including MQA, external power and clock inputs and preamp capabilities, including both analog and digital attenuation at a great price. However I was ready to return it if the SQ was less then great. It's not going back.

Speaking about PS... I've seen here a lot of messages about PS upgrades, and - honestly - do not understand why

is no one speaking about the BEST DC power supply - a (high power, motorcycle or car) Battery which is during

critical listening unplugged from charger.

Costs less and should sound best.

Am I wrong about this kind of PS?

Funny, The CEO of Mytek suggested the same. I have never tried one. Of course one needs to find a good charger, but I am sure that a single charge would last a long time. It is definitely a cheap viable solution. You get galvanic isolation as well. Why don't you give it a shot and let us know how it goes?

Great observation! FWIW, I'm running the Brooklyn with the analog volume control enabled as well, but with no preamp.

The Vega uses Sabre volume control and the s/n ratio varies by level. This is documented here:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/auralic5/3.html

I suspect that the Brooklyn does the same in digital mode. If true, that could be at least one reason the Brooklyn sounds better in analog volume mode.

The impact of the digital volume control on the Vega was very noticeable, and I used analog inline xlr attenuators to create more headroom for higher volume settings. These are not necessary with the Brooklyn and from the start I've left it set in analog mode.

I am also noticing that the USB input on the Brooklyn appears much less sensitive to upstream noise. I was told that the USB implementation was done in house, rather then using a third party chip like asmedia or xmos.

Not electronically savvy. Anyone have a sense of the relative merits (irrespective of price) of various linear PS designs that I am aware of...

1) UPTONE JS-2 Linear Power Supply – UpTone Audio ($925)

2) HDPLEX HDPLEX Fanless Linear Power Supply for PC Audio and CE device ($395)

3) KECES KECES PRODUCTS (english) ($499)

4) TEDDY PARDO Teddy5/3 - 5V 3A Power Supply | TeddyPardo ($369) THOUGH IT LOOKS TO BE UNDERPOWERED FOR BROOKLYN UNLESS CUSTOM ORDERED

Recognize that there are a few designs at $50-100 out there as well.

Here is a source for a different version of the Sigma 11 LPS used here. Approximately $350 - $400 with 50 volt amps. You have to write them for a quote.

http://www.ybmaudio.com/products.html

The choke filtered JS-2 is the best power supply on your list.

In my short relationship with Mytek, Michal and team have been very supportive and professional. Ordered my DAC, sent my money, and it arrived the next day as promised ( I live 50 miles from Mytek headquarters). There is an effort underway to get patches built for Linux to run native DSD 64, 128 and 256 on the Brooklyn DAC. Michal and the technology team have been very helpful and responsive.

I am very impressed with Mytek and hope to have a long relationship with the company. It is sad to read that others are having problems. From my perspective, it feels like I am Myteks only customer and all communications have been very well handled.

The product is terrific as well!

The Mytek Brooklyn USB input is currently limited to 384khz. DSD over DOP needs 768khz to play DSD256 due to the extra overhead with the DOP headers. So the answer is no, DSD256 DOP won't play.

However, native DSD256 plays from Windows via Asio. The Linux patch for native DSD256 is being tested now.

I understand that USB 768khz is potentially possible with the current hardware. Down the road a firmware patch may become available implementing native DSD512 and DSD256 DOP.

Yes. Well I have put it in the drawer for the time being. As a dac, it is making a good doorstop atm.

I've owned all of the 192 DSD, Brooklyn & Manhattan. I prefer them in that order as well. The Manhattan is a better dac than the Brooklyn, at least without a LPS, in terms of inner detail retrieval, transparency and resolution. Certainly has more features. The Brooklyn is perhaps more involving.

HQP + DSD 256 > Manhattan was very good. I liked it alot. For DSD it was behind the Merging Nadac I owned, but not by alot. PCM playback on the Manhattan was better than the Nadac.

I don't really care for the tech - I just want something to work and sound good. The Brooklyn has been problematic and I don't remotely care for the Mytek control panel. Certainly the FW doesn't seem sorted yet, whereas the Manhattan was rock solid with ASIO & USB.

If someone could see their way clear to sending me 1.44 I would be very grateful.

Hi Andrew,

I've upgraded the firmware on my Brooklyn twice with no issue. It's now running 1.45.

PM me and we can find a way to get you going.

Larry