IGNORED

Bifrost Multibit?

My Bifrost Multibit upgrade arrived yesterday. By now it's been switch on for >24 hours continuously and has been playing for abut 6 hours.

My main impression at this point is that it delivers a significantly, (not to say gigantic), better resolution improvement. This translates into not just more "detail", but more spatial information, firmer imaging, more define instrument decays, and sweetness in the mid-range and highs.

Configuration: FLAC or ALAC on external drive => Win 10 running Foobar2000 => Wyrd => Bifrost Multibit => ARC LS9 => Pass Labs X150.5 => Magneplanar MG 1.6QR plus PSP Subsonic 5 sub.

Melvin,

Any comments on how the multibit compares to you ChordEX? I have both the bifrost uber and a ChordHD.

Hi Palomino,

I wanted a bit more time with the upgraded Bifrost before I get into comparisons but I'll share a bit.

The 3 DACs I have in current rotation are of different design philosophies and price points. Frankly, I enjoy each of them. The Bifrost is, of course, the least expensive. Is the lowly Bifrost a giant-slaying-Chord-killer? No, but it's not embarrassed either. The Bifrost Multibit is one very enjoyable DAC. It presents plenty of detail with no fatigue. This is a must-have upgrade IMO. If it were my only DAC, I would be happy and content.

More interesting to me is a comparison to my Tranquility DAC (16/44.1-48, NOS variety based around the TDA1543). I'm still assessing but suffice it to say I'm again impressed with the Bifrost. BTW, the Tranquility, which is known for its liquid midrange, was also significantly more expensive. Fun.

Mike from Schiit was kind enough to send me a Multibit Bifrost (in addition to the Multibit Yggy I have for review). I have it connected to the new Audioengine HD6 powered speakers at my desktop. Overkill for a desktop system? Of course :~)

The sound is terrific so far.

Any impressions to share on the Yggy yet?

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Mike from Schiit was kind enough to send me a Multibit Bifrost (in addition to the Multibit Yggy I have for review). I have it connected to the new Audioengine HD6 powered speakers at my desktop. Overkill for a desktop system? Of course :~)

The sound is terrific so far.

Chris, when there is a Yggy review, I hope you can make some sort of comparison to your Reference Berkeley DAC, as Schiit claims the Yggy to be as good or better than anything out there.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

BTW guys, after a few days my preference for an Amarra/BiMBy pairing changed. I now seem to favor Audirvana+ with the little wonderDAC. I will assume it's because the DAC has settled in a bit more and I've simply had more time listening (critically and otherwise). Me thinks the dead-neutral revealing quality of A+ is a perfect match to the Schiit Multibit architecture. Whatever. I like it .. a lot.

I too find myself drifting away from Amarra and toward just using Roon (with Dirac), and I suspect the same reason as Melvin notes WRT Audirvana +. Not that Amarra falls into the category of "audio peanut butter" I noted in a prior post, but Amarra does apply some sort of engine honey that smooths things out in a way I am finding less desirable - or necessary - with the Multibit upgraded Bifrost.

I too find myself drifting away from Amarra and toward just using Roon (with Dirac), and I suspect the same reason as Melvin notes WRT Audirvana +. Not that Amarra falls into the category of "audio peanut butter" I noted in a prior post, but Amarra does apply some sort of engine honey that smooths things out in a way I am finding less desirable - or necessary - with the Multibit upgraded Bifrost.

Interesting we've had a similar experience in this regard. I'm quite fond of the Amarra (w/iRC) sound and generally prefer it, especially with my Tranquility DAC. The Qute EX is more agnostic but I still prefer it with Amarra. Just makes me want to learn more about Schiit's Mega Combo Burrito Filter, etc.

You know, I keep telling myself I "need" Roon but I've yet to be convinced ;)

I keep forgetting to mention my Bifrost is being fed a signal with a Bel Canto mLink converter fronted by a USB REGEN.

To refine my earlier posts, what I am finding with the Bifrost Multibit that I have not found in any of the DACs I have used in the past is resolution of detail without harshness, and I find that combination very satisfying.

By way of comparison, when I was using my Bifrost before the Multibit upgrade - both in its original, first-generation build and with the Uber Analog upgrade - Audirvana (and for that matter, unadulterated iTunes) sounded harsh in a way that overrode any benefits in the resolving power and detail. Amarra smoothed that stuff over, without completely quashing detail and with some other benefits like soundstage and image height improvements I enjoyed very much.

More than anything else, though, Amarra protected my ears from harsh high-frequency performance, and while that may have meant a trade-off with respect to resolution of detail, I was happy to make that trade-off and avoid painful sound and listening fatigue.

Multibit Bifrost is a better balance. Lots of detail, little harshness, no listening fatigue. I am very pleased with this result.

Unfortunately I've hit a snag with the Bifrost Multibit: I can't get the latest C-Media drivers for Win 10 to install.

When I run the Setup program, it asks me to connect the device; however when I do this, (i.e. switch it on), it doesn't recognized it and asks me repeatedly to connect, then finally quits. If the Bifrost is already on when I run Setup I get the same result.

Foobar2000 recognizes the Bifrost without the new driver, but the available drivers, viz. DS, WASAPI, and Generic ASIO, report that the device does support high-resolution and won't my play hi-rez files.

Any suggestions on how to get the lasted driver installed?

Unfortunately I've hit a snag with the Bifrost Multibit: I can't get the latest C-Media drivers for Win 10 to install.

When I run the Setup program, it asks me to connect the device; however when I do this, (i.e. switch it on), it doesn't recognized it and asks me repeatedly to connect, then finally quits. If the Bifrost is already on when I run Setup I get the same result.

Foobar2000 recognizes the Bifrost without the new driver, but the available drivers, viz. DS, WASAPI, and Generic ASIO, report that the device does support high-resolution and won't my play hi-rez files.

Did you try uninstalling the old driver first? What about trying compatibility mode when installing?

I feel your pain Feanor. I've had more than my share of frustrating Chord driver issues after each and every Mac update. I'm still on Yosemite in fact because of it. At some point I expect Chord will abandon us poor souls and stop providing driver updates. Fortunately both of my USB-SPDIF converters work without issue.

I hope it gets sorted out quickly for you.

OK, so far I haven't been able to install the new Gen 2 Win 10 driver, however I have been able to hi-rez and good results in general using WASAPI (event) in Foobar2000.

Seems the no-hi-rez problem was caused by an Audio Quest Jitterbug in line with the Wyrd + Bifrost. When I removed the Jitterbug, Foobar was able to recognize the Bifrost as able to hi-rez. The Bifrost is the second device I have found won't work properly fed via Jitterbug; another DAC wasn't recognized with the Jitterbug in-line -- don't assume a Jitterbug is your friend.

As far as I'm concerned a driver is an integral part of the product; if it doesn't work, the product is defective. Nick at Schiit has suggested that I remove the installed drive and then run Setup, connecting the Bifrost when total to connect: I did this but Setup still failed recognized the device.

Nick also recommend that I try the Gen 3, (Yggdrasil), driver which I will do next. Schiit's instructions call for a USB cable of 2 meters or shorter; unfortunately I have to use a 15 foot cable, so that might be part of the problem

I reiterate that I have good results using WASAPI (event) in Foobar, sans the Jitterbug. This stage of burn-in, (~12 hours play time), I get noticeably (if not hugely) better air, separation, instrument decays, and mid-range sweetness. Also, I seem to get better deep bass. On the downside, brass instruments sound a little too bright and forward.

Nick also recommend that I try the Gen 3, (Yggdrasil), driver which I will do next. Schiit's instructions call for a USB cable of 2 meters or shorter; unfortunately I have to use a 15 foot cable, so that might be part of the problem

i'd be shocked if a 15 foot usb cable wasn't the problem.

i'd be shocked if a 15 foot usb cable wasn't the problem.

I'd be shocked if a USB chip couldn't be accessed by a computer because of a 5m cable, even if said cable was of poor quality.

(we're not talking audio performance here but basic digital communication...)

As far as I'm concerned a driver is an integral part of the product; if it doesn't work, the product is defective. Nick at Schiit has suggested that I remove the installed drive and then run Setup, connecting the Bifrost when total to connect: I did this but Setup still failed recognized the device.

I've encountered some problems too... (same ones under XP and 7)

What worked for me :

Let windows search for and install a driver : this way the Bimby should be recognized as a USB composite device.

After that the C-media/Schiit installer sees the USB chip inside Bimby.

Good luck!

Let windows search for and install a driver : this way the Bimby should be recognized as a USB composite device.

After that the C-media/Schiit installer sees the USB chip inside Bimby.

Good luck!

Thanks. Yes, presumably Windows did see "Bimby" as a USB device and install drivers. Looking in Device Manager I see as a sound device, "Schiit USA Audio Gen 2". In foobar I can select WASAPI or DS and they work; what I don't have is the C-Media ASIO driver. Perhaps this is what comes with successful drive installation.

However when I run the Installation Setup, it fails to recognized the Bimby. Perhaps my 15 foot USB is the problem; maybe I'll try a shorter cable for installation and see if that works, but I have to go back to 15' if I want to actually use the thing.

I should have been more thorough :

As Bimby is plugged, windows has access to the chip's firmware (under USB 1.0?). This one reads "Schiit USB (LOL) Audio Gen 2". Nothing has been installed at this point.

First install to be performed (automatic or forced : right click "Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" / 'update drivers' then 'search automatically') should add you a "USB composite device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then the 'real' install can take place.

I've used my micro iDSD with a 16ft cable + a 4ft extension, both low quality (no more than 10€ for both combined) without a problem. That can't be the problem install-wise. Sound wise, it could. (but a Regen or Wyrd at the input of Bimby should remedy that if needed)

A priceless little comparison:

Having all three of these Schiit multibit DACs is a considerable privilege. Comparing them to other DACs with printed words is challenging at best. These need to be heard, preferably in level matched A/B comparison to other DACs, to fully appreciate the advancements achieved by Mike Moffat and team at Schiit. I have spent many hours with these multibits, as I have with some of the best (and worst) of Delta-Sigma DACs. It is no secret that I am enchanted with the Schiit Multibit solutions to source components. I am not as adept with the flowery prose as many others on forum so this will be my concise comparison.

1. Best of D-S Dacs - an indistinct sound is barely audible in the recording that appears to not be musically related to the orchestral piece playing

2. Bifrost MB - someone in the Second Violin section has flatulated

3. Gungnir MB - the flatulent sound originates with the 2nd chair in the 2nd row of the 2nd violins

4. Yggdrasil - that 2nd chair, 2nd row, 2nd violinist has let loose with a Db when clearly the piece being played is in the key of G.

now for others that can describe attributes of the three Schiit multibit DACs better than I."

Original post: yggdrasil - gungnir MB - bifrost MB - a terse, ribald comparison

I should have been more thorough :

As Bimby is plugged, windows has access to the chip's firmware (under USB 1.0?). This one reads "Schiit USB (LOL) Audio Gen 2". Nothing has been installed at this point.

First install to be performed (automatic or forced : right click "Schiit USB Audio Gen 2" / 'update drivers' then 'search automatically') should add you a "USB composite device" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then the 'real' install can take place.

I've used my micro iDSD with a 16ft cable + a 4ft extension, both low quality (no more than 10€ for both combined) without a problem. That can't be the problem install-wise. Sound wise, it could. (but a Regen or Wyrd at the input of Bimby should remedy that if needed)

Thanks. So I followed this advice. Windows reported that I had the last USB 1.0 and 2.0 drivers. The installation Setput still refused to recognize the Bifrost.

I used a Wyrd ahead of the 15' USB cable which is Pangea with silver-plated signal wires.

After a sequence of emails with Nick at Schiit Audio including various suggestions I have a couple of conclusions.

First, with Windows 10, the OS will find and install a basic USB 1.1/2.0 driver that will let me used WASAPI in Foobar2000 to drive the Bifrost Multi; (it will probably work with other Bifrost versions too). WASAPI sound good but I was hoping for an ASIO driver.

Secondly Schiit's Gen2 and Gen3 (Yggrdrasil) install programs cannot be induced to recognize the Bifrost -- at least on my machine. Older versions of the driver installation programs will refuse to work because they are Windows version-specific, i.e. up to Win 8.1, and will refused to run -- "wrong platform" or words to the effect. Schiit's ASIO install also won't work because only Windows versions thru Win 8.1 are support.