IGNORED

Bifrost Multibit?

Hi Jim .. no, it's one or the other:

"All existing Bifrosts can be upgraded to Bifrost Multibit for $250. The process requires firmware changes, so the Bifrost will have to be sent to Schiit or an authorized service center for the upgrade. All existing Bifrosts can also be upgraded to the new AK4490 Bifrost from $70."

Melvin, thanks. Nick at Schiit also confirmed that it is one or the other. He added that the AK4490 upgrade is inferior to the multibit upgrade. And so I purchased the multibit yesterday. And I agree, it is great how Schiit has kept its promise regarding upgrades for the Bifrost.

Another post from Baldr on head-fi:

A few clarifications and amplifications re Bifrost Multibit DAC (Bimby). The DAC is indeed a four year old 16 bit converter which for the glib, may not be exicting. Those with the patience to study (yes, study) the datasheet will be exited when they realize the performance meets/exceeds that of many competing 18 bit dac chips. The mega combo burrito time and frequency domain filter is also implemented in a SHARC chip identical to its bigger brothers Gumby and Yggy. This permits the perception of the spatial cues uniquely proper to the Schiit filter. The filter is identical to its bigger brothers' with just one exception: the output rate on the Bimbo is limited to 192KHz rather than 384KHz. Since the filter is cascaded, the required taps halve to 9000. The reason the unit must be returned to Schiit for upgrade is that the control microprocessor's flash memory must be reprogrammed. I am proud of its price/performance ratio as a multibit D/A converter for $600.00. I have been listening to one at my workstation for the last several months and find it quite satisfying. Enjoy!
Melvin, thanks. Nick at Schiit also confirmed that it is one or the other. He added that the AK4490 upgrade is inferior to the multibit upgrade. And so I purchased the multibit yesterday. And I agree, it is great how Schiit has kept its promise regarding upgrades for the Bifrost.

Glad you got confirmation from the source. I hope you will share your impressions when the time comes. Cheers.

I'm probably missing something here, but wouldn't all 192khz DACs be considered NOS with a 192khz input?

No. This is an excellent feature.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm probably missing something here, but wouldn't all 192khz DACs be considered NOS with a 192khz input?

Not at all. Most modern DACs take all PCM - including 192 - and convert it to a type of Delta Sigma Modulation inside the DAC chip, and then back to 352 or 384k PCM (all internal) and then to analog with filtering applied. This is true even if you don't have up/oversampling turned on. Basically all DACs except those specifically claimed to be NOS, few exceptions.

This architecture is much cheaper than building a NOS DAC (you don't need multiple chips) and for that reason is used in about 99% of modern DACs

Jud has posted extensively about this on the forum, you can probably find one of his cogent descriptions if you do a search.

That's why Schiit makes a big deal about their "Multibit" DACs that are true NOS, even for hi-res material.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Jud .. would you mind elaborating a bit?

Most DACs with 176.4/192 inputs oversample to 352.8/384 internally, then delta-sigma modulate to 2.8 or 5.6MHz or higher before converting to analog. The Bimby skips these steps and sends the input as is to analog conversion.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thank you Jud.

Curious if you know what happens with 44.1 to 96 in this particular DAC. Oversampled to 176.4/192 with no filtering applied?

It's a slightly less computation intensive version of the filtering used in the Yggy and Gumby.

It's a slightly less computation intensive version of the filtering used in the Yggy and Gumby.

Ahh ..

The filter is identical to its bigger brothers' with just one exception: the output rate on the Bimbo is limited to 192KHz rather than 384KHz. Since the filter is cascaded, the required taps halve to 9000.

I feel somewhat dense today.

Heard Yggy and Bimby (not Gumby) at RMAF and was very impressed with both. I was listening with (unfamiliar) headphones, and for a relatively short time, so I can't really give any sort of thorough report. I do know that both my wife and I listened to multiple tracks, and only reluctantly stopped in order to give others a chance. My guess is that those who purchase either will be very happy, particularly at the price points at which these DACs are being offered.

Heard Yggy and Bimby (not Gumby) at RMAF and was very impressed with both. I was listening with (unfamiliar) headphones, and for a relatively short time, so I can't really give any sort of thorough report. I do know that both my wife and I listened to multiple tracks, and only reluctantly stopped in order to give others a chance. My guess is that those who purchase either will be very happy, particularly at the price points at which these DACs are being offered.

This is welcome news nonetheless Jud. IIRC you once owned a 1st gen Bifrost giving you a certain perspective I very much appreciate.

Thanks for this info, Jud.

Yesterday I ordered the Bifrost Multibit upgrade for my Uber-equipt Bifrost. I've always been very impressed with the Bifrost over any similarly priced DAC; the Uber upgrade was a positive, though not huge, improvement over the base Bifrost. The $250 Multibit upgrade seems like a no-brainer. But we note, of course, that one must pay shipping one-way as well. In my case I'll have to pay taxes and brokerage too when it comes back to Canada.

Got the "time to ship" email and my Uber is now in route to the Upgrade Dudes of Schitt. I'm excited to hear what BiMBy can do.

Did they say how quick the turnaround would be? I just ordered a new DAC that isn't made by Schiit and once it shows up I'll get on the MB upgrade list for my Bifrost Uber.

Did they say how quick the turnaround would be? I just ordered a new DAC that isn't made by Schiit and once it shows up I'll get on the MB upgrade list for my Bifrost Uber.

No. I ordered the upgrade on Saturday and was 16th in the queue. Got the email to ship today which I thought was pretty quick. I assume (perhaps wrongly) they don't work weekends.

Thanks for this info, Jud.

Yesterday I ordered the Bifrost Multibit upgrade for my Uber-equipt Bifrost. I've always been very impressed with the Bifrost over any similarly priced DAC; the Uber upgrade was a positive, though not huge, improvement over the base Bifrost. The $250 Multibit upgrade seems like a no-brainer. But we note, of course, that one must pay shipping one-way as well. In my case I'll have to pay taxes and brokerage too when it comes back to Canada.

I got my 'good to go' email yesterday after only three days and shipped this morning. Turnaround time will be longer for me on account of being in Canada.